Vodka doesn't grow on trees...

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Vodka doesn't grow on trees...

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

But you can apparently pull it from thin air!

https://amp.theguardian.com/food/2021/o ... ble-spirit

I am at the point I can't see science through the marketing anymore :crazy:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Re: Vodka doesn't grow on trees...

Post by tiramisu »

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

SoCD, I just wonder how much energy is needed to separate the carbon from the CO2 molecules to make ethanol. I bet it is a lot. And the production of the electricity is far from a “green science”. Fossil fuel emissions themselves produce CO2.

It just seems like nature has a way of balancing things, including how to make alcohol. Yeasts, cultured and wild, are a natural “gift from God”. It’s been the practice for hundreds of years.

A better approach would be to “plant a tree”, perhaps even a fruit tree. :clap:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

SS you cant let facts like that get in the way of a good marketing story. :lol:
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Where does the co2 go, after you had a drink of that vodka? Back to nature it goes, so it's not removing any co2 from the environment at all. Marketing is blinding so many people. Seems that less and less people just trust in miracle stories without doing any research on their own.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

'Tiramisu' links to a Popular Mechanics article that says that Argonne National Laboratory and Tao Xu (who is also a Northern Illinois Univ professor) created a new catalyst that can turn carbon dioxide into ethanol.

But if you read 'The Guardian's' article that 'ShineonGrazyDiamond' first linked to, then there is another link that sends you to https://aircompany.com/. On the first page of their website the 'Air Company' boast that they alone are responsible for the breakthrough; Quote: “We invented a carbon conversion technology that transforms carbon dioxide (CO2) into impurity-free alcohols”.

Last year there was a brewery named BrewDog that claimed to be the first carbon negative beer company, and a distillery (Two Drifters) that claims to be the world’s first carbon-negative distillery. These people though are just using electric delivery trucks and electrically heated stills to add and subtract their “carbon credits”.

The 'Air Company's' gimmick and advertising investment is also pandering to the new green carbon footprint mentality. They buy their CO2 from the open market but produce the extra hydrogen needed themselves, using electrolysis. The Air Company explains some of their process, but remains secretive about their patented catalyst; which we can deduce from 'tiramisu's link - is likely some variation of “atomically dispersed copper on a carbon-powder support”. Their website also says that the liquid produced is a mixture of methanol, water and ethanol. They don't consider methanol to be an impurity, or bother to explain what they do with it; but it seems likely that if they had enough quantity, they could sell it to another industry that might turn it into formaldehyde or acetic acid.

Initial success all depends on the whims of the Millennial generation. But if it is an expensive way to produce vodka in the long run, it won't be a sustainable business.
Omnia mea mecum porto