Idea ... Home Distiller Discord Server

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Idea ... Home Distiller Discord Server

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I didn't know where to post this. I had an idea that I though might be a good idea for this forum. For those that do not know what Discord is, it is a free app you can install on a mobile device or a PC. You can join Discord groups, just listen, talk with others, post pics, links, videos, etc... I sometimes frequent some of these Discord groups and you can really learn a lot by speaking with knowledgeable people one on one. Some participate in debates where you have to back your claims. Most groups have different categories/rooms for different topics. It could be good way to help others, learn more and could be a good resource for those that use it. I searched on Discord and there doesn't appear to be any distilling groups there at all. I just think it would be really cool if Home Distiller had a group there whether it were officially connected to this forum or not.

In my experience with Discord groups, it is wise to give frequent trusted members moderation powers to mute, boot and even ban people otherwise it can become a room of chattering monkeys :lol: Some Discord servers even live stream to YouTube or similar services.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Idea ... Home Distiller Discord Server

Post by whiskymonster »

All very well and good, but there is such an amazing library of information on this site, much of it buried in conversations between guys ten years or more ago that i don't see you're going to get much interest in moving the conversation elsewhere.

Im sure some of the 20 odd thousand members have their own chat servers together, but the bulk of the site is always best served out in the open and public for everyone to try and sing along.
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

whiskymonster wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:43 pm All very well and good, but there is such an amazing library of information on this site, much of it buried in conversations between guys ten years or more ago that i don't see you're going to get much interest in moving the conversation elsewhere.

Im sure some of the 20 odd thousand members have their own chat servers together, but the bulk of the site is always best served out in the open and public for everyone to try and sing along.
That is a good point. I wasn't thinking about it in the way of moving the conversation elsewhere, but more like a different kind of interactive branch of this forum. Maybe you're right. Maybe it would do more to take away from the forum than it would give. Kind of like some YouTube channels that are out there. I just couldn't help but think that it would be cool to participate in a distilling Discord group and even cooler if it were a part of this forum in some way. I know anyone can make one and let it be known, but I figured since there was such a large audience here, the idea was that maybe it could be a benefit.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The forum platform is much better in my opinion as topics can readily be searched .

I was on a Labby’s forum . It was amazing , but th eowner shut it down . Subsequently , a facebook group started , then a Yammer group . I tried them both and found them so difficult to navigate and search stuff .

Fortunately , the Original forum was picked up by a new owner , but now we have members that were very helpful , no longer on it and info is now split over various platforms .

Best to keep it all in one place IMO
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:56 pm The forum platform is much better in my opinion as topics can readily be searched .

I was on a Labby’s forum . It was amazing , but th eowner shut it down . Subsequently , a facebook group started , then a Yammer group . I tried them both and found them so difficult to navigate and search stuff .

Fortunately , the Original forum was picked up by a new owner , but now we have members that were very helpful , no longer on it and info is now split over various platforms .

Best to keep it all in one place IMO
I hear ya and I understand what those platforms are, but do you know what Discord actually is? Most use ear buds with a microphone or a head set with a microphone. It is literally a verbal discussion platform. If someone tries to speak nonsense like boast about about using turbo yeast (that's just the first thing that popped into my head) it would be met with criticism real quick and with links posted to back up their claims. Where do you think those links would come from? From HD of course. I'm not arguing with you. I totally understand just keeping a forum a forum. If people search distilling they will find this place. Discord is just a platform that allows like minded people to create rooms to speak to each other in real time, 24/7 and share links/info. Some just participate for entertainment. You wouldn't believe how much time the same people spend on Discord every single day. I quit using it for 2 years, came back and not only are the same people still there, there were many many more and they're all there all dang day & night from all over the world. That is why I figured it could be helpful.
Big River
Novice

Post by Big River »

Discord is just a chat room. This topic forum is the most efficient way to search for information or simply ask a question.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

The point being that the forum hosted on a website format lasts in a way that most other platforms dont.

Google 'space jam website' and click the first result. That website has been available on the internet since 1996. Not bad for a forgotten promotional website for a bugs bunny movie.

I cant think of another chat format that can last multiple decades, whereas the other day i was reading a thread here from 2003 and thinking about how the art has changed over the years.

Discord telegram whatsapp etc are all fine for chattering to the mrs or chattering online, but they come and go.

The old forum format has a certain je ne sais quoi.
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
Big River
Novice

Post by Big River »

Just a historical reference, IRC (internet relay chat) started in the late 80's is still around. Chat and file downloads, I still use it today.
Fwapsk
Novice

Post by Fwapsk »

While this site is definitively the best source for information on distilling, there could be a valid use of a Discord distilling chat. Beginners could be on it as they run their first distilling process and get reassurance and questions answered live from experienced distillers. Obviously, beginners would need to be told to read this site until their eyes bleed before starting, but it may be reassuring to have some experienced distillers ready to answer questions live. Also, a new recipe user could chat live with others interested or knowledgeable about the recipe. Moderation of users would be important to keep the channels productive. And it is hard not to acknowledge the benefit of voice communication vs forum chats to get to know each other and actually hear someone's voice rather than read their post. Doesn't eliminate anything on this site and also doesn't have to be used by everyone, just those that are interested in live chatting for whatever reason regarding distilling. Just my 2 cents :)
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Fwapsk wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:30 am While this site is definitively the best source for information on distilling, there could be a valid use of a Discord distilling chat. Beginners could be on it as they run their first distilling process and get reassurance and questions answered live from experienced distillers. Obviously, beginners would need to be told to read this site until their eyes bleed before starting, but it may be reassuring to have some experienced distillers ready to answer questions live. Also, a new recipe user could chat live with others interested or knowledgeable about the recipe. Moderation of users would be important to keep the channels productive. And it is hard not to acknowledge the benefit of voice communication vs forum chats to get to know each other and actually hear someone's voice rather than read their post. Doesn't eliminate anything on this site and also doesn't have to be used by everyone, just those that are interested in live chatting for whatever reason regarding distilling. Just my 2 cents :)
Absolutely :thumbup: That was my thought as well.