Moonshine distillery in Tennessee

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Moonshine distillery in Tennessee

Post by Mud Mechanik »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 4#41219614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Might be worth a visit for tast comparison purposes.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Moonshine distillery in Tennessee

Post by condensificator »

cool. looks almost like a disneyland attraction.
flip2spin23
Novice

Post by flip2spin23 »

If anyone does drop by there let us know what its like :mrgreen:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Darn I wished I would have known that a year ago last fall I vacationed in Gatlinburg to hike the smoky mountains.
flip2spin23
Novice

Post by flip2spin23 »

They opened in July this year
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

That was good.
And good for him indeed.

Anybody know that fellers handle?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

watten too long ago they dident sell liquor in that county
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Mr.Spooky wrote:watten too long ago they dident sell liquor in that county
spooky
Out with the old in with the new.
Recon they prefer to generate a bit more revenue.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

I hope his moonshine is better than Georgia moon :!:
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Smokey Mtn Distilllery is about 45 min from the house but I haven't been there. It's in the tourist trap somewhere around Gatlinburg and I hate going thru that place. I'll probably go lookin' for it when the weather warms up a bit and I can take my motorcycle. Last time I was at the likker store, 'bout 4 months ago, they had some out front at the counter. They're sellin' it in quart canning jars. They had two kinds, one just clear 'shine, and one filled with red cherries. Didn't buy none, I just go to the likker store for some wine now and again. Haven't seen anything in the news lately 'bout whether they're doin' good or not.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

dang big R,,, wish wed got together before i moved.. im from knox county,, but i gotta say,, the french braud river was my stomping grounds. (from the big blue brige down). shit :| them were the days. heres a short story:
me and a buddy of mine (who lived on the river) was workin on my TA. boy,,, it was a heap,, but it would run,, anyway,, we was about 9 into our second 12 pack and we decided we go tester out. we went to the local elementry school (after hours) and was cuttin doughnuts when the cops rolled up. they asked us what we were doin and my friend, being the bullshitter that he was, started going into detail what we was working on.. before i knew it,,, he had the pins pulled out of the hood and had the hood up..
as the fuzz was diggin what he was saying,, they were also looking inside the car. after all,, the t-tops were out. the oficer asked," whats all this beer for" and my friend replied " we were drinking a little while working on it" . then the oficer said, " but theres still frost on the cans" and my friend said " THATS BECAUSE WERE STILL WORKING ON IT" :shock: . believe it or not the cops said take it home and dont be out the rest of the night.
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

H*** Spooky, it's a small world! You lucked out with the cops, ya, I know a few of them and they're ok but most are A**H****!!! Told one once that he was an A**H*** and he took me to jail. "bout got into it another time and just so happened my daughter was there and she grabbed my arm.

Anyway, ya ever back in this neck a the woods lets me know. I got some pretty good booze here we can consume together.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

10/4!!!!! ill keep that in mind!
spooky
skeeterbite
Novice

Post by skeeterbite »

I saw Smokey advertised on the show "Moonshiners" so I bought some of their apple pie to try.
The darn stuff cost $22.99 a quart and was only 20% abv. Tasted pretty good though.
I won't be buying any more at those prices.

Skeeterbite
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I have been there 2 times and now there is a second distillery within 500 ft. The second is not related to the first. They asked me $35 quart. You can see and smell mash going in open air and free samples. Mash barrels looks like 1000-2000 gal barrels. 2 of them. Old smokey is the nicer and older distillery. They have cherry, apple pie, double and tipple distilled and 3 or 4 other things. Taste good. If you are gonna be within 100 miles it is worth the time to go by. They also play bluegrass music live out front at night. Music is good also. Seriously the ambiance takes you back to the old days and makes you feel like you are at a still site. Both places have a guy that talks to you if you have questions. They guys are always buisy answering questions. I tried both times to talk to him but didn't want to be pushy so I didn't get to. Maybe if you went 1-4 pm might not be as buisy or before noon if they are open would be a good time.
wv_hillbilly
Swill Maker

Post by wv_hillbilly »

My mother in law stopped by the old Smokey distillery this past weekend. Sent me a bunch of pics, and man they had some nice looking rigs. She tried some and said it was very smooth. She tried to pick me up a sampler pack they sell, but wouldn't sell it to her since it was Sunday. Damn them!
WERAT
Swill Maker

Post by WERAT »

wv_hillbilly,
I live close to Gatlinburg and to tell you the truth, if you don't like watered down likker then you wouldn't like their stuff. They sell it in all of the likker stores here but man is it pricey. I have never purchased any myself but I have had it at a friends house. I took him some of mine and now he knows what the real stuff should taste like. (This of course is my opinion.)
WERAT
wv_hillbilly
Swill Maker

Post by wv_hillbilly »

Yeah, I've heard there stuff is diluted down to about 20%. My mother in law doesn't really like the harder stuff which is why she may have liked this stuff. She said mine is too strong when I diluted back to 40%. To each their own. If I wasn't in the mood for something that strong, I'd drink a beer. I wouldn't waste my time with a watered down spirit.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Why ain't y'all shoutin greedy bootleggers

So im tole
wv_hillbilly
Swill Maker

Post by wv_hillbilly »

goose eye wrote:Why ain't y'all shoutin greedy bootleggers

So im tole
Never looked at it that way, but you're exactly right on that assumption...bastards.
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

I gotta give props to someone who can come up with the money and jump through all the Federal hoops to open up a place like that. I'd stop in and have a look around if I was in the area. I hope he does well...even though I don't really like moonshine.

~bd~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."