Carroll County Virginia man arrested on moonshine charges

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Monty671
Novice

Carroll County Virginia man arrested on moonshine charges

Post by Monty671 »

"Upon a search of the residence, approximately 1/2 gallon of illegal whiskey and 40 gallons of mash were seized and destroyed"

"committed to the New River Valley Regional Jail, awaiting trial." :thumbdown:

http://www.thecarrollnews.com/view/full ... ne-charges" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Really? He is being held in jail for 1/2 gallon of moonshine.
Most of use have more than that aging.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Carroll County Virginia man arrested on moonshine charge

Post by Dnderhead »

Yep he probably "shared" with the wrong one.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

+1 on shared with wrong person or pissed x-wife or x girl friend or neighbor. Wow, unless there is more to the story, 1/2 gal of houch and some still beer and makes headlines. I looked this guy up on net and he is facing a class 6 felony. I would post all his stuff that I find to follow what happenes but I don't think it is appropriate. Hopefully he did something really stupid. He did not nor has not been charged with a DUI. Usually when you see a shine bust you see lots of other charges (guns, distribution,etc). He didn't get any of that. ALCOHOL: ILLEGAL MANUFACTURE. kinda makes you think twice.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

One of the few arrests posted lately that didn't mention selling so I guess he probably had someone report it!
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

You notice it said the warrants were issued, then the search lead to the discovery of the contraband. Meaning someone gave the cops a lot of very specific info about the still and the alcohol and what was going on. Judges don't sign search warrants just cause someone said so and so is making moonshine.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Unless there is more to this story, I find this arrest and charges the most disturbing of the recent arrest stories on this forum. The still was hobby size and 30 gal of wash is hobby size and only 1/2 gal of whiskey seized. No mention of selling, but I sure hope that is the case. If they have no evidence he was selling, then this arrest and these charges is scary to me.
If anyone is close to this area, I'm sure the forum would like to be kept informed of developments in this case.
BG
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

+1 Boda
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Welcome to the real world. This ain't no dam game.

so im tole
Rasputin
Novice

Post by Rasputin »

Really? You guys are amazed by this? Why exactly?
The law is pretty clear.
I'm surprised anyone thinks this is unusual. Yes, something clearly out of the ordinary happened but if you think by "not selling" you're somehow immune......

I'm a moderator on a site that deals with a delicate subject. I can assure there is no one there that thinks that just because it's a hobby and they don't sell it that their chances of arrest are somehow lower.
I particularly like the this quote from the "drugs" sticky:

"This is not the proper place to discuss drugs and their creation or extraction. I'm sure there are many places online where you can go discuss your favorite habits and draw law enforcement attention to yourselves with other people who are willing to ingest butane and so on in whatever amounts; frankly I'm not impressed and I think people should be more wise with their bodies."

I'm fine with that completely, that isn't what I came here to learn about and it's your forum, your rules.
Please don't pretend leo isn't here & alcohol isn't a drug though and remember to clean that exif data when posting pics kiddies. ;)

Not meant to be a dickhead, troll or an asshole. Is meant to perhaps wake a few sleepers. Sure don't want to get in trouble with admin here. I'd like to one day learn enough to contribute something.
Maybe consider this my first serious contribution.
This really is serious business that generally speaking is against the law in the vast majority of places. I could type about another 10 pages about safety & legality issues but I won't. I've probably said far too much already.

Bad habit of mine.
Meanwhile back at the ranch Sky King & Penny were waxing the plane...........
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Generally speaking, at least here in the US, law enforcement has better things to do than bust someone for making distilled spirits in the privacy of their own home... It would take an extenuating set of circumstances for law enforcement to attain and execute a search warrant so someone provided more information than a mere call to a local confidential tip line... With the number of hold-ups, strong arm robberies, and pot and meth houses, the police in my area have a lot more important things to do than bust a home distiller producing for personal consumption... I'm friends with the ex-police chief and he couldn't care less...
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

rad id go gentle with that broad brush. some places got some that there full time job is huntin bootleg likker. yalls security is yalls business an how you go about it aint none of my concern but to think they aint out there an wont come a nockin cause you aint sellin
is a fools game. loose lips sink ships

so im tole
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

100% correct, goose eye... ;-) I can still count how many people know what I do with fingers left over... :silent: And thumbs... :thumbup: :lolno:

Re-read my post and you'll get the gist of it... :ewink:
Rasputin
Novice

Post by Rasputin »

Yeah I understand all of that & for the most part that's true here as well. I just recently set up my electric controller so I could move to my basement and get off the propane and out of the back yard and view of any neighbors that might be able to see. I have a very private yard, you would have to very purposefully look to see but I was suddenly overwhelmed with a sense of paranoia one afternoon as I watched the local leo helicopter circle me or someone very close as I brewed beer on my outdoor all grain set up set up of which my milk can (without the 3" copper head) is an integral part.

Also just recently had an acquaintance who cultivated 2 very small plants in an indoor garden. Very discreet, no light showing, carbon air filters and exhaust fans for heat. Personal use only, he never sold a thing. Didn't even have a scale. Generally a productive member of society, good job, buying his house, reasonably new car. Nice clothes, short hair, you get the picture by now I'm sure. However, one afternoon recently while he was at work 2 low life waste of air types kicked in his front door. He doesn't have much really, he's into dirt bikes, not big screen tv's & they were looking for high end electronics I'm sure but they found his garden & left the door to that room open when they left. Took nothing at all. The door being left open overwhelmed the capacity of the filters almost immediately. The neighbors saw the front door get kicked in & called the police. When the police arrived they thoughtfully did a walk through to be sure the thieves were gone. If they'd found a still instead of a garden I doubt the outcome would have been much different.
That's kind of the point I was trying to make. We can plan, take precautions & do everything as right as we know how but sometimes shit just happens.
Alcohol is a drug and distilling is perhaps the most basic of all extractions.

I agree with you, Goose Eye.
Meanwhile back at the ranch Sky King & Penny were waxing the plane...........
toast860
Swill Maker

Post by toast860 »

my pops is from roanoke va. he knows all the guys on the dumb ass show and whats going on down there. resently i guess tickle got arrested for public drunk assness . he also said abc and everyone is running around like mad men down there. and that the police got on the news saying that it was illegal so dont do it. so im pretty sure they are just makeing examples for him. just my thought on the subjects
if you cant build a paper airplane, then leave the rocket alone.
its like wiping before you poop, dont make sense.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

My Momma came from Carroll County . All her family has been involved in the bidness in one form or another at some point in time . Hauled out of there when I was a teenager . Politics and religious persuasion play a very large part in who gets busted in Carroll and who gets ignored .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

some places got a tip line where you can turn in outfit an get a reward. no mater the size

if you in good with the county the state comes a callin
if you in good with the state the feds comes a callin

if you get caught with a outfit you can turn in a outfit an get out of trouble but the irs still comes a callin an that both state an fed

everyone getin caught aint makein the nerws not that it aint noed they just aint makein the news but sometimes them ole boys
come up missin

like I said aint no game

so im tole
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Carroll county man got 12 months and 10 months were suspended and a $561 fine. Charges were a class 6 felony at manufacturing and were amended to a misdemeanor at possessing distilling equipt w/o permit.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

it aint over.
now the tax man comes a callin

so im tole
Oxbo Rene
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oxbo Rene »

Damned criminals ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
The laws were created for their own benefits/protection ! ! ! ! !
That's just crazy, breakin the law ! ! ! ! !
It is not the matter, nor, the space between the matter,
but rather, it is that finite point at which the two meet,
that, and only that, is what is significant...........
(Of course, I could be wrong) ..........
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Carroll County Virginia man arrested on moonshine charges

Post by bilgriss »

Just went for a hike up a mountainside to see a waterfall this morning, while visiting near Cana, VA, and found some old galvanized pipe in a pool mid-tier from the waterfall, some black 2" tubing below that just above a plateau on the mountainside. Also some radiator core. Looks to be a few years old. Probably about the age of this thread.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Carroll County Virginia man arrested on moonshine charges

Post by Bushman »

bilgriss wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:19 am Just went for a hike up a mountainside to see a waterfall this morning, while visiting near Cana, VA, and found some old galvanized pipe in a pool mid-tier from the waterfall, some black 2" tubing below that just above a plateau on the mountainside. Also some radiator core. Looks to be a few years old. Probably about the age of this thread.
I metal detect as a hobby and am always looking for old abandon Ghost towns or mining sites. I love hearing these stories.