moonshine distillery explodes today

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: moonshine distillery explodes today

Post by cranky »

I don't understand why you posted this, it is a 2 year old article, that I think has already been linked a couple times. Is there some sort of update?
jon1163 wrote:
from the article :

"Basically it verifies that the tower failed due to an internal plate being only tack welded when it should have been welded fully around. This allowed a distilling bean or beans (glass marble) to clog the product (shine) output hole. This caused an immediate over pressurization which ruptured the still bottom and sent it hurtling through the door. The pressure relief valve did not open due to the still builder installing a valve too large for this size pot plus being made for a water heater."

You would think that any company worth their salt would at least test the over pressurization valve after production. Or have the good sense to realize that 150 lb of pressure is just stupid High when you're talking about hot Steam and liquid.
I've read that report several times and there was virtually nothing in it about failure of that plate and clogging of the outlet, in fact it says the plates were secure and the outlet clear, so the only conclusion I get from it is that statement is an outright lie.

As far as the relief valve I still firmly believe it was swapped out by the plumber who added the vent pipe because they were having problems with the original valve opening during testing and initial runs but it's not like anybody is going to admit it.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I would agree that the investigation was incomplete at best.
They seem to point out why the thing might have burst apart, but made no effort to explain why the pressure built up or who might have been responsible.
I think the guys that got hurt deserved better.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

saw the link and didnt think it had been included in this thread .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I deleted my post.
I shouldn't be commenting while angry.
Last edited by shadylane on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Well done admin. Appreciate you staying on top of that story. Thanks.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I use a spray bottle with a tiny amount of ivory soap in it any leaks will bubble like crazy.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sunshineer wrote:I use a spray bottle with a tiny amount of ivory soap in it any leaks will bubble like crazy.
If it's bubbling like crazy, you need to turn the heat off and evacuate the building. Do not restart until you have identified and fixed the problem that was causing the pressure.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Believe me I never let it get that far just trying to post a good way to check for leaks I only use ivory because it's all natural won't hurt anything and will wash off with water after cooling.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Sunshineer wrote:
NZChris wrote:
Sunshineer wrote:I use a spray bottle with a tiny amount of ivory soap in it any leaks will bubble like crazy.
If it's bubbling like crazy, you need to turn the heat off and evacuate the building. Do not restart until you have identified and fixed the problem that was causing the pressure.
Believe me I never let it get that far just trying to post a good way to check for leaks I only use ivory because it's all natural won't hurt anything and will wash off with water after cooling.
This is like the old plumber who taught me to check for natural gas leaks in a gas line by “hitting it” with his cigarette lighter flame....”if it supports a flame, it must have a leak”. Fortunately, he retired before blowing himself up (and me too).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I check for leaks by smelling the joints. If they are leaking I can smell it.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I never have leaks that would cause any bubbles, because I have never any pressure in my system. Just some sweating of a coupling. When I collect the drips, they show no alcohol in them.
Even between boiler and thumper I have no higher pressure than 40 cm watercolumn. Just sweating, not even a remote danger of explosion.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

cranky wrote:
I check for leaks by smelling the joints. If they are leaking I can smell it.
Funny you say that, Cranky. After having my first major leak a few weeks ago, I’ve been “smelling” my connections too! :lol: It’s a pretty good indicator!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

My SOH had been smelling gas by our front door for months...I just blow her off, but one day I found a "Gas sniffer" on E-Bay, bid on it, and got it for $15 free shipping...so the very next time her said "I'm telling you I smell gas!" I whip out the sniffer and Ah Haa! the gas company was there in 1/2 an hour...major leak, their feed line had rusted through outside the house 6 feet deep and the gas was filtering under the lentil...they trenched the front yard, totally replaced the line, moved the meter etc, etc...they were there for six hours, all at their cost...they said it wasn't that dangerous being buried that deep...and I had to live with the "I told you's" for the next six months or so...I still use the "sniffer" not my schnozzle!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Thanks going to get one of these myself I use the spray bottle because my nose is dead.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

you can run your hand around the joints without touching the metal - say 1/4 inch away or closer. If you have a leak you will feel the "steam" HOT on your hand.

that works for me - every time.

MAke one deliberately and you will feel what I mean :wink:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Pikey wrote:you can run your hand around the joints without touching the metal - say 1/4 inch away or closer. If you have a leak you will feel the "steam" HOT on your hand.

Once upon a time I had a job as a welders helper on a coal fired powerplant that remained 80% active during the rebuild. We had sawed off broom handles for checking for steam leaks. It a leak was on the back side you slid the broom handle along behind the pipe until the steam cut the stick in half. We were told that once someone had used his hand to do it and it cut off all 4 of his fingers. Now I know high pressure steam in a powerplant is nothing like what we deal with on our stills but that memory stays with me making me very reluctant to look for any kind of steam leak using my hand. Another way to find one is wrap a bit of teflon tape around the joint. If it is leaking it will become kind of transparent.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Think I'll stick with the gas sniffer just ordered a good one on ebay I can use at my gold mine too.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

cranky wrote:
Pikey wrote:you can run your hand around the joints without touching the metal - say 1/4 inch away or closer. If you have a leak you will feel the "steam" HOT on your hand.

Once upon a time I had a job as a welders helper on a coal fired powerplant that remained 80% active during the rebuild. We had sawed off broom handles for checking for steam leaks. It a leak was on the back side you slid the broom handle along behind the pipe until the steam cut the stick in half. We were told that once someone had used his hand to do it and it cut off all 4 of his fingers. Now I know high pressure steam in a powerplant is nothing like what we deal with on our stills but that memory stays with me making me very reluctant to look for any kind of steam leak using my hand. Another way to find one is wrap a bit of teflon tape around the joint. If it is leaking it will become kind of transparent.
:shock: Eek ! 8)
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I like the tape idea since I keep a very close watch during my run no tv no phone no games just stillin and family knows to leave me alone until I finish my run. You never know so we must be prepared at all times for anything wouldn't even consider starting without 2 fire extinguishers on hand and within easy reach plus I have an automatic extinguisher mounted over the still which is a fire sprinkler head mounted to an extinguisher bottle if the fuse melts the bottle goes off putting out the fire if I can't stop it first