police found my still

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: police found my still

Post by Rng4 »

When they entered your property on the original search warrant, they had legal reason to be there. When they found the still they did not need to go get another warrant or collect evidence before arresting you. It's called the "plain view doctrine". There for a legal reason, see something else in plain view, oops. If they wanted a warrant they would have secured the scene and not allowed the 'evidence' to walk away or be molested in any way. A photo of an illegal item that they can not go back and secure is not thought of highly in a court of law. Or officers that let contraband go so they can attempt to make an arrest at a later date on evidence that exhists in pictures only. Seems many folks think that every encounter with law breakers results in an investigation worthy of a Jason Bourne movie.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

HDNB wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:I can personally attest that a policeman doesn't look very happy when a judge is calling him an asshole in open court. the truth hurts
Neither does a prosecuting attorney liar. even hurts professionals ((i corrected your spelling)(using the preferred phonetic spelling))
There are so many layers to the onion, just because there are whole police forces out there who want to make you their bitch doesn't reflect on some systems.(couple of your words got scrambled..fixed 'em right up for ya!)
sry..is my cynicism showing?

Clearly I was being way too nice, but hey it was personal experience and the part where the judge was totally pissed off at the cops and the prosecutor was really icing on that particular cake.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Rng4 you sayin they can't get a warrent from a favorable judge
on pictures they took on a earlier date?

So I'm tole
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OP is taking evasive action sure as hell i would be to. You might like hypothetically you got all these natural rights but would ya be willing to take ya freedom and all you own it . Its easy to say darn tooting but when they coming knocking , you have more to consider than dignity and pride
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

Goose eye

To answer your question, we all know that in a small town with a favorable judge it could happen. But around my area, if the cops take a picture of possible evidence, then let it walk away hoping to use photos to secure a warrant later, that usually don't work so well. The judge wants to know why they didn't take it the first time if it was so important.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Was warrant read what it say???
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

You almost made me pee and cry at the same time hdnb
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Plain View Doctrine is a discretionary procedural loophole... It in no way requires that LEO's act upon evidence observed and not to be confused with mandatory reporter responsibilities... It may be in the legal systems best interest to not take action at that moment in time so as not to impede future or ongoing investigation... Just sayin...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

rad14701 wrote:Plain View Doctrine is a discretionary procedural loophole... It in no way requires that LEO's act upon evidence observed and not to be confused with mandatory reporter responsibilities... It may be in the legal systems best interest to not take action at that moment in time so as not to impede future or ongoing investigation... Just sayin...
Rad, you said what I was thinking a lot better than I could have.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

I find this most unusual , just to take pictures and then do nothing.

What I would of thought would of happened is , photos, a sample being taken, labelled , then the time and dated, and signed by the officer a witness and yourself, then you would be bang to rights
How on earth can criminal charges be brought on photos alone, could of been distilling water

But this could all come down to the character of the OP,

a persons character stand for a lot in my part of the world
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

The wolf is watchin' you goblin....

It's a good thing your local district court has a full docket. You're still too small of a criminal to contend with. But, if you start moving pickup loads of bottles in and out of your place, they'll come back...this time with paperwork that has your name on it.

Be cool. Reduce your inventory on hand and don't sell. Possession is a crime, but distribution is a bigger crime. Syndication is the "real target" of the Feds. Little guys are too expensive to pursue...for now at least.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
goblin
Bootlegger

Post by goblin »

i am sure i am on someone's list, ain't Santa Claus's
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

He has a naughty list too.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:He has a naughty list too.
If goblin leaves Santa some of his libations rather than milk, I doubt it would be the naughty list lol.

I'd say your best bet would be to not have any untaxed liquor (that they can find). The pics are just of a still . . . and without product, have no way of proving WHAT you were doing with it. Depending on your laws, a still could get you a little trouble, but not as much as if you combine it with having product.

I made a small still, one gallon, for a gift for decorative purposes. It's functional, but what i did could apply to a full size. Based on pintoshine's design. I put a small handle on the side of the cap. A screw in nozzle with small drilled holes at the end of the lyne. Voila, a watering can. A small pot rests on the inside of the boiler with the lip holding the edge of the collar. A flower pot now. Watering can and flower pot that resembles a still.

Point is, be creative and those pictures they have could be part of damn near anything.
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

agreed......move likker off site...and take your pot, or column, put some potting soil in it and plant a flower of some sort....tell em the next time they stop over, it's just "house decoration" and you were planting flowers in it for a little "Nostalgia".
Drink tonight.....For tomorrow We Ride!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Anyone else notice a distinct lack of goblin.....
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

What? Since yesterday morning? :eh:

tp
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I know people got lives and this ain't Facebook but if I decided to tell y'all about the cops finding my still,you can bet I would be posting regularly so people know what's up. Plus I don't remember the last time I was logged out... Its pointless when you are onsite every hour or so. That's me though.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by UnSub »

Someone likely advised him to keep his mouth shut. I have declined to comment on this thread but Goblin really should have just not said anything in a public forum about the situation. If the spirits are not there, the still IS for water. Period. That's the resolution.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

UnSub wrote:Someone likely advised him to keep his mouth shut. I have declined to comment on this thread but Goblin really should have just not said anything in a public forum about the situation. If the spirits are not there, the still IS for water. Period. That's the resolution.
+1 That is the smart move. Say nothing. If anything comes of it, let your lawyer do the talking.
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

Rng4 wrote:When they entered your property on the original search warrant, they had legal reason to be there. When they found the still they did not need to go get another warrant or collect evidence before arresting you. It's called the "plain view doctrine". There for a legal reason, see something else in plain view, oops. If they wanted a warrant they would have secured the scene and not allowed the 'evidence' to walk away or be molested in any way. A photo of an illegal item that they can not go back and secure is not thought of highly in a court of law. Or officers that let contraband go so they can attempt to make an arrest at a later date on evidence that exhists in pictures only. Seems many folks think that every encounter with law breakers results in an investigation worthy of a Jason Bourne movie.
i disagree, the still itself is not illegal to own or possess as a water distilling device.

unles their was evidence in the open that it was not a water device

it is just like a coffee pot sitting on the table. legal and harmless

i am not a lawyer nor did i sleep at a holiday inn....just an opinion that can be wrong
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Prolly just sick of hearing what's he coulda woulda, shoulda done by them that's never had their door kicked off its hinges for trying to mind their own business, been there, Not as much fun as the brochure might suggest
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

thecroweater wrote:Prolly just sick of hearing what's he coulda woulda, shoulda done by them that's never had their door kicked off its hinges for trying to mind their own business, been there, Not as much fun as the brochure might suggest

buddy got busted for drugs, he said he did not know his house had that many windows

cop was crawling threw all of them and coming in the back door and front at the same time.

i saw him 2 years latter
nissath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nissath »

jb-texshine wrote:The police in most major cities have no clue its illegal I think... Probably due to all the popup ads on Facebook selling stills. Its just an unknown to them.
Jb
This... Facebook takes your searches or what you look at the puts adds about what you have been searching in. So if you started searching for police batons they would show up on Facebook. Side note if you install ublock extension on chrome it will take all adds off every site away.
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by UnSub »

Police in metro areas are well aware of stilling and "nutcrackers" (in part due to the success of MoonShiners series).

Probably would be doing someone a favor if this thread just vanished...
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

SHHH...tap..tap...tap Hey goblin you still out there?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Warning, I'm posting a thought, while in my cups :lol:
Reality, we want to legally make home-distilled alcohol for personal consumption.
Moonshiners TV drama, "police found my still"
My bad and I'm going to sleep.
goblin
Bootlegger

Post by goblin »

yes i am, trying to drink as much of my product as i can, only 38 gallons to go. :crazy: :crazy:
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

goblin wrote:yes i am, trying to drink as much of my product as i can, only 38 gallons to go. :crazy: :crazy:
I can help. Send me a quart...
...or four.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Hell, send us all a quart. We've got yer back! :thumbup:

tp