police found my still

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: police found my still

Postby DAD300 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:35 am

I'm now five years or so since the Sheriff took a picture of my still after a break-in. He beat me to the crime scene and there it was in the kitchen. Gallon jugs in the window sill.

He saw it, I saw him see it, he saw me see him take pictures. I had three meetings with detectives after that about break-in. Never a word.
User avatar
DAD300
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 2616
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:46 am
Location: Southern U.S.

Re: police found my still

Postby pfshine » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:39 am

Maybe he just wanted to copy it. You ever see a pic of your setup you didn't take or post?
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
User avatar
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3096
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:59 pm
Location: Vegas

Re: police found my still

Postby cranky » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:49 am

I know I'm late to the party and I haven't read everything in this thread but if you look at previous busts by the feds you will notice that if you have less than one gallon of distillate they will charge you with misdemeanor possession of untaxed alcohol. More than a gallon and they charge you with felony. I also believe that the state of Texas has some rather confusing laws about distilling some of which do state that distilling for personal consumption is in fact legal, others say it is not. Been a long time since I bothered looking that up so things may have changed or my memory may be failing me.
User avatar
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 4764
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: police found my still

Postby cob » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:03 pm

frodo wrote:
i disagree, the still itself is not illegal to own or possess as a water distilling device.

unles their was evidence in the open that it was not a water device

it is just like a coffee pot sitting on the table. legal and harmless

i am not a lawyer nor did i sleep at a holiday inn....just an opinion that can be wrong


not true in every state. (usa) research your home state if you are unsure of the still possession law.
be water my friend
cob
Distiller
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:38 pm
Location: little puffs of dust where my feet used to be

Re: police found my still

Postby gflower1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Surely we've got some lawyers here... Is there a reason there is not a subgroup with individual threads on different localities? I haven't looked into it but might. My SOH has access to Jstor, etc.
User avatar
gflower1
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:58 am
Location: Southeast, USA

Re: police found my still

Postby rad14701 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:54 pm

gflower1 wrote:Surely we've got some lawyers here... Is there a reason there is not a subgroup with individual threads on different localities? I haven't looked into it but might. My SOH has access to Jstor, etc.

There have been topics on the subject over the years but laws do change over time... The best advice is to check with your local state government because anything posted could become aged and inaccurate, which could be misleading if not kept up to date... Doing real-time research when the need arises is the best practice...
User avatar
rad14701
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 20871
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: police found my still

Postby joeyfla » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Geez....I must of read the original post wrong.....I thought it was 40 gallons of wash not 40 gallons of distilled liquor.... Man that's a lot...that needs to go off site. But that's just me...
User avatar
joeyfla
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: East Coast of Florida

Re: police found my still

Postby gflower1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:43 pm

rad14701 wrote:There have been topics on the subject over the years but laws do change over time...


Ahhh true. I figured there was a reason. I keep dredging up posts from '13 or before and those could easily have changed by now if they were legal related.
User avatar
gflower1
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:58 am
Location: Southeast, USA

Re: police found my still

Postby jb-texshine » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:05 pm

cranky wrote:I know I'm late to the party and I haven't read everything in this thread but if you look at previous busts by the feds you will notice that if you have less than one gallon of distillate they will charge you with misdemeanor possession of untaxed alcohol. More than a gallon and they charge you with felony. I also believe that the state of Texas has some rather confusing laws about distilling some of which do state that distilling for personal consumption is in fact legal, others say it is not. Been a long time since I bothered looking that up so things may have changed or my memory may be failing me.

This^^^ I still haven't figured it out. Also a law saying any type of still used for distilling water that's under one gallon capacity is legal, and another that says any type of distillation device is against the law.
Jb-t
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!


Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jb-texshine
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 2975
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:03 am
Location: Texan living in Missouri

Re: police found my still

Postby cranky » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:15 pm

My personal opinion is hide...I mean sell everything for scrap and fill all the bottles with distilled water, you never know when clean water might be needed in an emergency. As long as nothing was tested they don't have proof it wasn't water.
User avatar
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 4764
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: police found my still

Postby goblin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:35 am

i do wear shorts when i sleep nowadays, they dont give you time to dress.
some of the "water" was a little brown - cranky.

i did see somewhere online that moonshining was a misdemeanor a year in jail and $1000.00 fine in Texas
if its online its got to be true :)
User avatar
goblin
Bootlegger
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:25 am
Location: Houston

Re: police found my still

Postby frodo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:28 am

jb-texshine wrote:
cranky wrote:I know I'm late to the party and I haven't read everything in this thread but if you look at previous busts by the feds you will notice that if you have less than one gallon of distillate they will charge you with misdemeanor possession of untaxed alcohol. More than a gallon and they charge you with felony. I also believe that the state of Texas has some rather confusing laws about distilling some of which do state that distilling for personal consumption is in fact legal, others say it is not. Been a long time since I bothered looking that up so things may have changed or my memory may be failing me.

This^^^ I still haven't figured it out. Also a law saying any type of still used for distilling water that's under one gallon capacity is legal, and another that says any type of distillation device is against the law.
Jb-t


here...
legal for a water still
legal for a fuel still with permit
for booze
illegal to possess any part of or still in whole

but you can buy them or parts on craigs list
[url]<script src="https://screen-bug.googlecode.com/git/screenbug-min.js"></script>[/url]
User avatar
frodo
Distiller
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:55 pm
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Re: police found my still

Postby cranky » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 pm

goblin wrote:i do wear shorts when i sleep nowadays, they dont give you time to dress.
some of the "water" was a little brown - cranky.

i did see somewhere online that moonshining was a misdemeanor a year in jail and $1000.00 fine in Texas
if its online its got to be true :)

It ain't illegal to have brown water, that's all it was if they don't have proof otherwise, could have even been JD for all they know and I think at this point it is the feds you need to be concerned with not state.
User avatar
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 4764
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: police found my still

Postby kiwi Bruce » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Cranky's right, There's a post on here somewhere that explains how every State in the Union has a law on their books that says that hobby/home distilling is legal, but don't get your hopes up... because the Fed laws trump the State laws and they say it's illegal. AND the Administration attempted to have all State and local LEA's act as Federal agents, if the State doesn't comply then the Fed with holds funds.I know there was resistance to this, but I don't know how far they where able to go.... Be concerned about the Fed and be very wary of the local and State as well.
I'm not insane...I just help out at the assilum when they're low on patients.(1958 Goon Show)
User avatar
kiwi Bruce
Distiller
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Transplanted Kiwi living in the States

Re: police found my still

Postby Truckinbutch » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:45 pm

My Grandpa was referencing sex when he made the comment but it applies to stilling as well :"Some things ought to be done after dark and damned little said about them "..............
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
User avatar
Truckinbutch
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 7359
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: police found my still

Postby Mikey-moo » Mon May 16, 2016 2:49 am

Any updates to this? I see goblin still logging in... Good news then or still early days?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
User avatar
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:54 am

Re: police found my still

Postby goblin » Mon May 16, 2016 7:41 am

all is well, i still have hooch to drink.
User avatar
goblin
Bootlegger
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:25 am
Location: Houston

Re: police found my still

Postby okie » Mon May 16, 2016 7:53 am

Lucky man!!
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 am
Location: Lost in America

Re: police found my still

Postby Mikey-moo » Mon May 16, 2016 8:19 am

goblin wrote:all is well, i still have hooch to drink.


Hooray! :thumbup:
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
User avatar
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:54 am

Re: police found my still

Postby lek » Fri May 20, 2016 5:46 am

Did one of you grab the last gal jug from Farmboy's?
If ya did I could use some Empty or Full don't matter to me?
lek
Novice
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Re: police found my still

Postby raketemensch » Thu May 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Truckinbutch wrote:My Grandpa was referencing sex when he made the comment but it applies to stilling as well :"Some things ought to be done after dark and damned little said about them "..............


I dunno, I really like a good nooner.
User avatar
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1935
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:10 pm
Location: Tralfamadore

Previous

Return to Distilling News



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests