Paris company to buy Seattle's Westland Distillery

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Paris company to buy Seattle's Westland Distillery

Post by Bushman »

https://whiskycast.com/remy-cointreau-t ... istillery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Bushman
Admin

Re: Paris company to buy Seattle's Westland Distillery

Post by Bushman »

Odin this is one of the distilleries we toured prior to attending Proof 2015. I believe they are one of if not the largest sellers of single malt in the US so I am guessing it went for a hefty price tag. As the article states they were backed by the very rich lamb family so they started big. If I am not mistaken when we did the tour because they are in downtown one of their big expenses was getting rid of their spent grain my rail.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Interesting story. But, in a way, I kinda hate to see our local "independents" being bought out by the major purveyors. But, like everything else, I guess if they sweetened the pot with enough money, then it probably looked like it would be pretty hard to turn down their offer.
Last edited by Euphoria on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Euphoria wrote:Interesting story. But, in a way, I kinda hate to see our local "independents" being bought out by the major purveyors.
I also hold a high level of disdain when it comes to the "Selling Out Of America" to foreign interests... :evil: That's another one for the Pet Peeves topic right there... :problem:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I remember they were at a great location, but not running the stills that were supposed to make their whiskey for weeks in a time. The guy that toured us told me they had been out of commission for something like two weeks. I also remember, Bushman, that we tried some of their whiskies at the Seattle Spirits Affair. Some pretty good, some still young.

The weird thing is ... I see them in Europe, so they must do something well. At least the marketing right?

I am left with this idea ... did they make product at that location to start with? I don't remember smelling anything.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

Hopefully this goes well. These are good guys with good juice.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

After visiting several distilleries, attending Proof 2015, and the BBQ the next day at Bearrivers your memory is right on!
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Odin wrote:The weird thing is ... I see them in Europe, so they must do something well. At least the marketing right?.
As for taxes and marketing it's easier for smaller independent craft distillers to get picked up by a distributor and sell overseas. There is locally made (BC Canada) products hitting the Asian markets.just easier than dealing with our local red tape.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros