Liquor of China

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Liquor of China

Post by OtisT »

Here is a short article on how China is working to introduce their indigenous liquors to the world. They want them to become as iconic as Kentucky Whiskey and Scotch are to the world today.

https://apple.news/ARSN9uCnvQcyIv0-09ZmSbw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Re: Liquor of China

Post by Beerbrewer »

I once drank this, it was not good experience, smelt rancid and I ended up throwing up into my sink, I'd give it another go as I suspect what I had was not the premium stuff.
Last edited by Beerbrewer on Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Last time I was in China there were bottles of Jonny Black and Jack Daniels lining the wall in a bar we were in. The locals warned me not to order it. All counterfeit. The bottles were tooled exact, labels everything. Taste? No f'in chance I was goin there.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Bvritr
Novice

Post by Bvritr »

Last time (the only time) i tasted Chinese liquor i thought i was going to die. I tasted like puke.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Bvritr wrote:Last time (the only time) i tasted Chinese liquor i thought i was going to die. I tasted like puke.
Tried Chinese wine once. My God it was awful.

Geoff
The Baker
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

It would appear, baijiu is made from "Sorghum, rice and other grains"
Is bajiu made from grain sorghum? What I call milo or is made from the juice squeezed from sorghum stalks :?:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Tried Japanese Shochu and Sake.

Liked them.

Geoff
The Baker
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

A while back I got a frantic call from my neighbor requesting help for her husband. He had gone to a party, drank a bunch of Chinese whiskey and after making a mess of the inside of his BMW (she was the designated driver), was rendered incapacitated. I found him slumped in his easy chair in the garage, barely intelligible, and unwilling to have me help him upstairs into bed. I stayed up with him to ensure he didn't pass out and remained upright.

I've spent many an evening with him drinking, and know firsthand his significant tolerance for tequila. Something told me not to touch any Chinese whiskey, like ever.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Beijiu is the best-selling liquor in the world, and other insights into this oddball liquor:
http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/10/lumos ... -city.html
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

shadylane wrote:It would appear, baijiu is made from "Sorghum, rice and other grains"
Is bajiu made from grain sorghum? What I call milo or is made from the juice squeezed from sorghum stalks :?:

Per the Grub Street article above ...

"It’s usually distilled from fermented sorghum, though other grains can be used as well."

... so I would assume it's from the grain portion of the plant. Based on my recent experiments with milo I'm going to suggest that the funky flavor and smell attributed to baijiu is probably nothing more than tails. I bet the Chinese distilleries collect and bottle everything.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

most of it is made from Sorghum alright.
I don't care for it myself, possible because I was buying bottom shelf stuff when i lived there.
I suppose if my first encounter with Whiskey was all bottom shelf stuff as well I mightn't be too keen on it either..
Don't be a dick