1/3 of Rare Scotch Whiskies are Fake

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

1/3 of Rare Scotch Whiskies are Fake

Post by WIski »

The secondary market blues...…….

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-sc ... s-46566703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: 1/3 of Rare Scotch Whiskies are Fake

Post by HDNB »

in the good ol' days you would not believe everything you read.
in this day and age of fake news.... don't believe anything you read. (or buy without proof)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Ah, ya evil little men. Ta fake something like a fine whisky and charge a Goddamn fortune for it. Ov course, if the whisky takes fine and you've more money than common sense, where's the harm? Payin' money for a number mebey. Sure ain't buying it ta sit onna shelf: paintings is prettier.
:think:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

This article does not surprise me. In bars they have fifth’s on the shelf and some of the bottles look more than used. When confronted I was told it was cheaper to buy the whiskey is 1.75 L and refill the fifths. Who knows if it is the same brand unless you order it straight and you have a trained pallet.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Bushman wrote:This article does not surprise me. In bars they have fifth’s on the shelf and some of the bottles look more than used. When confronted I was told it was cheaper to buy the whiskey is 1.75 L and refill the fifths. Who knows if it is the same brand unless you order it straight and you have a trained pallet.

That is illegal in most states. Only manufacturers can refill a bottle, bars can not. One of the most common ways to get in trouble with the local liquor enforcement.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Around here awhile back, they closed a bar down 10 days or so for that among other things.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

bluefish_dist wrote:
Bushman wrote:This article does not surprise me. In bars they have fifth’s on the shelf and some of the bottles look more than used. When confronted I was told it was cheaper to buy the whiskey is 1.75 L and refill the fifths. Who knows if it is the same brand unless you order it straight and you have a trained pallet.
That is illegal in most states. Only manufacturers can refill a bottle, bars can not. One of the most common ways to get in trouble with the local liquor enforcement.
Off topic a bit but in my rowdier days, Alabama did not have "free poor". The alcohol was in a miniature and opened and poured in front of you.
Of course that was for volume as well as knowing what you were getting.

Also just a few years ago, I read where organized crime was making a fortune bottling inferior grade olive oil and exporting it the US as top grade.
So who knows how extensive this little market is.