Whisky making article - misleading

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Whisky making article - misleading

Post by Expat »

Came across this article today and I can't help shaking my head at the inaccuracies. I really wonder if they haven't been introduced intentionally to divert people who try to follow it.

https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/vice/ ... step-guide

Some of my "favorites"....

Magical corn is easier apparently....
You would need about 10 pounds to expect a reasonable amount of volume. That amount should equal out to about 5 gallons of final product.
probably the easiest grain to work with on a small scale
. LoL

Also, no mention of grinding, or conversion of starches (magical boil and "rolling pin") apparently get the job done.....

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Re: Whisky making article - misleading

Post by StillerBoy »

The article is right on, except, to the un-knowledgeable person, many items/words of the process are lefted out..
Expat wrote:You would need about 10 pounds to expect a reasonable amount of volume. That amount should equal out to about 5 gallons of final product.
That quote is not misleading, it's just not complete.. 10 lbs per gal for a 5 gal final product is right on, except for the fact the word mash is not used..

It is the same throughout the article.. the article is design to mis-lead and instill fear in the reader..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I just assumed the writer was an idiot.

I think that is why “the most experienced whiskey maker in the world” kept telling him to buy and use a brew kit. Figured the distiller tried to explain the process to the writer, and when the idiot was not understanding what he was told, the distiller simply said “buy a kit and read their directions” before moving on.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

StillerBoy wrote:The article is right on, except, to the un-knowledgeable person, many items/words of the process are lefted out..
Expat wrote:You would need about 10 pounds to expect a reasonable amount of volume. That amount should equal out to about 5 gallons of final product.
That quote is not misleading, it's just not complete.. 10 lbs per gal for a 5 gal final product is right on, except for the fact the word mash is not used..

It is the same throughout the article.. the article is design to mis-lead and instill fear in the reader..

Mars
If you substitute mash volume for final product, then yeah. But otherwise it's way off.

As for right on... In vaguest kind of way, hence my comment about misdirection.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd