Worlds best whisky is $18

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Worlds best whisky is $18

Post by hpby98 »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-w ... 2019-02-27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

A £13.49 ($17.95) bottle of supermarket scotch was named the ‘Best Scotch Whisky’ at the World Whiskies Awards, the Independent reported on Wednesday.

The Queen Margot Blend Scotch Whisky from budget German grocery chain Lidl was the top shelf pick by 40 international experts at the annual event, which honors “the very best in all internationally recognized styles of drinks.” Their refined palates preferred Lidl’s eight-year-old blended scotch whisky over more expensive pours like the 12-year-old Johnnie Walker Black Label, which costs more than twice as much at upwards of $35 for a 750-milliliter bottle at some online stores.

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Worlds best whisky is $18

Post by Chauncey »

hmmm, seems suspect because, well, marketing.

eventhough i wouldnt be surprised i personally think evan williams green label is the best bourbon that isnt fanced up in some way such as angels envy
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

never had the 8yo one. I've had the Queen Margot Blend Scotch Whisky without a age statement on it and is the reason I'm making my own.
It was all I could afford and I had to choke it down, not sure how much of an improvement 5 years in the barrel would make.
Don't be a dick
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Fake News?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/felipeschr ... 1f71f64f54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Bummer. Guess it's still true that you get what you pay for.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Been drinkin just a Lidl bit too much of the samplers.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

seamusm53 wrote:Bummer. Guess it's still true that you get what you pay for.

What?!? i'll put a buck fiddy of mine up against that 18 dollar bottle anytime. :moresarcasm:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

HDNB wrote:
seamusm53 wrote:Bummer. Guess it's still true that you get what you pay for.

What?!? i'll put a buck fiddy of mine up against that 18 dollar bottle anytime. :moresarcasm:
Now if you count the true cost of your whiskey - fermenter, still, grains, water, energy, wood, etc.....AND YOUR TIME - I'd bet it's way past $18 a bottle. I suspect we'd all go broke if we had to make a living doing this. I'd be happy in Chapter 11 but I'd still be there (and likely divorced).

Years ago I bought a shop full of woodworking equipment. I made a sweet little children's hardwood table and the Mrs. pointed out that it cost over a grand.