Counterfeit alcohol possible cause of mysterious deaths in D

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Max_Vino
Bootlegger

Counterfeit alcohol possible cause of mysterious deaths in D

Post by Max_Vino »

Counterfeit alcohol possible cause of mysterious deaths in Dominican Republic

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/video/cou ... 25179.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Counterfeit alcohol possible cause of mysterious deaths

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Thank you Max...this hasn't played yet in the USA...Counterfeit as in Methanol...Holy Shit!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

When I was last active on this forum, 6 or 7 years ago, this was a big issue for Aussie tourists (an other nationalities obviously) in Bali. Several deaths and some very ill people.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

https://www.foxnews.com/world/tainted-a ... icials-say" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Just found this on Fox News says alcohol tested had 30% to 40%methanol and that investigation continues.
Skarsnik
Novice

Post by Skarsnik »

CuWhistle wrote:When I was last active on this forum, 6 or 7 years ago, this was a big issue for Aussie tourists (an other nationalities obviously) in Bali. Several deaths and some very ill people.
I went to bali around that time and purchsed some vodka from the local corner store. Got it back to the hotel, smelled it and poured it all down the sink. 6 months later the news was covering the deaths over there.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Sunshineer wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/world/tainted-a ... icials-say
Just found this on Fox News says alcohol tested had 30% to 40%methanol and that investigation continues.
From the article “Most likely this is related to some type of manufacturing error, that when they were trying to make ethanol they accidentally made some methanol”. How does one “accidentally” make methanol when they are intending to make ethanol?

So for my education, can someone help me understand how methanol is created. I believe it is from woody products in a ferment. To some extent, the husks of some grains we use in our recipes will produce some methanol? Also, I believe pectin in the skins of fruit are the cause of methanol in brandy? In the case of this problem in Costa Rica, likely an over abundance of the woody pulp from sugar cane stalks?

Thanks,
Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Skarsnik wrote:
I went to bali around that time and purchsed some vodka from the local corner store. Got it back to the hotel, smelled it and poured it all down the sink. 6 months later the news was covering the deaths over there.
Glad you survived
But Methanol has no desernable smell . If anything , it smells like ethanol .
This can be backed by several members that did smell tests of various chemicals at a Meet and greet we had a year or two ago .
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

To get to 30 or 40 percent by accident is impossible not that much available no matter what your mash is made from plus it starts at about 145 degrees that's why we toss the first pint. Which is probably over kill just to be safe.