Gin or Genever

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Gin or Genever

Post by Bushman »

Wonder if Odin would agree with this description?
https://www.winemag.com/2019/07/05/brea ... d-genever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Gin or Genever

Post by Expat »

From his previous post on the subject, doesn't seem like a grain base is required... esp since its going to be made into a neutral anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22111
Last edited by Expat on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Kareltje »

One correction to start with: jenever is not only made in the region of Holland, but also in other provinces of the Netherlands, for example in Groningen (Hooghoudt).
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Went to a Gin palace in Melbourne with a few other members and sampled quite a range. Among them were various expressions of Genever and personally I found them not so complex almost verging on a bit boring at least compared to the wide range of gin. It was pretty reminiscent of Adophus Wolfe Scheidam Aromatic Schnapps which is a fine drink bit fairly mild. Back in the day we would drink that with mixers and it was clean enough to mix with most flavours, that's just dandy but if ya expecting a bit of complexity with a botanical hit it may well be a slight let down. So I'm thinking there is more difference than simply a regional signifier, my experience is it is to do with the infusion more than base spirit but that is just my limited experience.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin