Peanut Butter Whiskey

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cayars
Distiller

Re: Peanut Butter Whiskey

Post by cayars »

SaltyStaves wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:01 pm A hydrometer reading would be interesting. Might give an indication how much additional sugar is in it.
Most excellent idea.

Anyone with a bottle able to check it?
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Label says it’s 35% 70 proof.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Can you check it with a proof and tralle hydrometer adjusted for temperature?
The more it's off from 35% the more sugar or other substance it contains.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Case in point. The Gordon's Pink Gin says 37.5% ABV on the bottle.
viewtopic.php?p=7563485#p7563485
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update on a little experiment I just did.
I stripped a typical bourbon wash. Took a half pint of low wines, and mixed in two fork fulls of regular old jiffy creamy peanut butter from the closet. I wanted to see how much the flavor would move over on the spirit run.

So I mixed it until the peanut butter was liquid in the low wines using the fork then dumped it into a 3 gallon (5 gallon pot still) batch and ran it. Took a sample of hearts and tasted it and the peanut flavor is BOLD. Next batch I will try one fork full of peanut butter mixed in.

I believe I'm going to mix this batch distilling right now right back into the boiler with other low wines to lighten the peanut flavor a bit. It came across far more than I thought it would. Regular old creamy peanut butter mixed pretty easily with a jar of low wines, it cheap and readily available and seems to work really well.

I'd suggest giving it a try. You don't need much!

Carlo
Last edited by cayars on Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If the peanut flavor is too strong you don't have to put it back through the still. Blend it with whiskey until it isn't.

Personally, I never put any botanicals in low wines for any product because I don't want to have to choose between keeping heads or tails components and keeping the flavors of the botanicals.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I'm going to sit on the jars I got from this 3 gallon run and not do anything with them yet. Yesterday after posting about the PB test I started sneezing, getting a sore throat & coming down with what looks like a Christmas cold. The old taste buds are probably in the shitter so I'll wait a good week before doing anything with the jars. I'll also have the other 2/3 of the run not done with PB I plan on running today. So I can try blending a bit of it or just recycle the PB jars, but will determine this later.

I can't say I typically ever add anything to the boiler with low wines in it. This was done on a whim based purely on this thread. Had the low wines, had the PB and next thing I knew "Hey you got PB in my low wines" :) I didn't expect the 2 fork fulls to come through as strong as it did.

Like I mentioned taste buds on the fritz but I think it's safe to say the heads and tails are a bit funky and even I who like to reprocess feints may pass up on these but I'll evaluate in a week or so.

I'm thinking my next test might be to take finished new make whiskey and proof down to 40% and load 3 Liters in my small "gin" still with a couple fork fulls of PB like I did above and run that to make a strong clear essence that can be back blended.

Anyway just wanted to update the thread on what I tried and to let people know that plain old creamy PB works but go easy. BTW, no scorching or anything out of the ordinary on the run.

Carlo
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

cayars wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:47 amThis was done on a whim based purely on this thread.
Yeah, well, sometimes what you read here isn't way up there on the clever scale.

I found my proposed peanut protocol in my files and it included cocoa and vanilla and sounds really nice, so I braved the pre-Xmas madhouse at the supermarket and did the shopping, but came home without my peanuts :D
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

That's funny forgetting the peanuts. Yep I agree on your first comment but figured it's time to get started trying something so...
Interesting results for sure. I just wish my taste buds were better so I really know what I got. Always sucks to get a cold when you want to taste test stuff. :(

I'm going to do what you suggested and back blend a bit from a center jar which I know will be hearts into some Bourbon I've already blended and take this with me tomorrow to our family Christmas. I'm taking a lot of stuff with me tomorrow (limoncello, curacao, gin, vodka, light rum, golden rum, spiced rum, bourbon, single malt, few wines, eggnog) so I'll make up a small 375 ml bottle and get some feedback without telling them what it is.

The cocoa sounds like it would be nice. Are you going to be using beans for vanilla and cocoa and roasted peanuts for your recipe? Post distilling, pre-barrel?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I use the least processed ingredients I can get my hands on for most of what I make. For cocoa, I've only used powder so far, but I know someone on a tropical island I visit who has trees in her garden. I have used powder I was given from someone from another island. I'm currently planning a trip to an island that grows vanilla.

My peanuts have sprouted, but I've never successfully harvested any in NZ. They fix nitrogen, so even if they fail they help my garden.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

So, I finally go to try screwball.
IMO, this is absolute crap.
I enjoy what I have made with the PB2 Powder so far.
Screwball has a ton of sweetener added :sick:
I commented on an older post about the same product. "Syrup of Ipecac" viewtopic.php?f=102&t=74458

Save your money and make your own.

Cheers,
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Irishgnome wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:08 pm So, I finally go to try screwball.
IMO, this is absolute crap.
I enjoy what I have made with the PB2 Powder so far.
Screwball has a ton of sweetener added :sick:
I commented on an older post about the same product. "Syrup of Ipecac" viewtopic.php?f=102&t=74458

Save your money and make your own.

Cheers,
Irish
After trying it I agree way to sweet for a whiskey might work as a mixed drink.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I cut it at least 75%whiskey:25% screwball. Then I find it pleasant but I have a sweet tooth. No way I would drink straight.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi. I just came upon this article on infusing whiskey with Peanut Butter and Bacon.

https://apple.news/AfQPQ6_PySFSVX7w6_fVt7Q

Enjoy

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Two cups of peanut butter to a bottle of whisky seems a helluva lot.

Geoff
The Baker
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Yea I'd agree. Hell, I tried 2 fork fulls in 3 gallons of low wines that got distilled and personally found the PB to be to strong. Can't imagine what 2 cups of PB in 750 ml would be like.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:10 pm
Bushman wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:09 pmI can see where it can become overwhelming so finding the right adjustment will take some time I am guessing.
I'm guessing it's easy, but I have only done hazelnuts. Peanuts had dropped off my radar, but they are back on again now.

Roast your peanuts, don't burn them.

Get rid of the skins.

Do the peanut run with heart cut white dog whiskey so that you're not having to chuck a lot of your flavor out with the heads and tails.

Use enough roasted peanuts to make an essence strength likker.

Blend with aged whiskey to get the flavor intensity/balance that you want.
I finally got around to doing a run today. I don't know how close it is to the liquor in the OP because I haven't tasted that. I haven't finished playing with blending ratios and sweetness yet, but it already looks promising for entertaining peanut butter nutters.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

We sell skrewball at the bar. Its so sweet and glyceriney like a peanut flavored version of fireball sans cinnamon. When i run out of fb always recommend the pb. Itd be good on vanilla ice cream
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

That all said, yuck. Fb is nasty too.

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Chauncey wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:20 pm We sell skrewball at the bar. Its so sweet and glyceriney like a peanut flavored version of fireball sans cinnamon. When i run out of fb always recommend the pb. Itd be good on vanilla ice cream
I've tried several blends and arrived at 6% sugar as my preference, but I haven't got a sweet tooth. 8% might suit others better.

I started at 18% sugar using dark bush honey and that made it really sweet and glyceriney and the honey swamped the peanuts so that you didn't get to taste peanut until thirty seconds later. That said, everyone who tried it, liked it.

If you take the SG of a sweetened liqueur and know the ABV, the sugar percentage can be calculated. I'd love to know what Screwball's SG is. :wink:
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

In my mind, the key to making this something I'd like, is to have a hefty hit of saltiness to counter the sweetness. I'm not sure if that can be done without a maceration step.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I hadn't thought of adding salt and I only know of one way to add it :D

It might be preferable to add it to the glass when serving it or making a cocktail.

I haven't explored peanut cocktail recipes ... yet.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Maybe salt the rim of the glass?
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Bought this with the intention of using it to make a salted caramel Irish cream, but thought it was a bit....much.
SaltedCaramelEssence.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

SaltyStaves wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:32 am Bought this with the intention of using it to make a salted caramel Irish cream, but thought it was a bit....much.

SaltedCaramelEssence.jpg
A few years ago we had a thread that dealt with a lot of essences, also getting more of a vanilla flavor and smoothing your product by using a vanilla bean.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I could get a gravity reading on skrewball, and get a refractometer reading but we all know how throwed it would be. Using both meters and the printed abv we could probably calculate something relevant. I'll bring them to work with me

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I haven't thought about trying to work out sugar content from a refractometer reading. It probably can be done, but I'd rather leave that to someone else and use SG.

So far, I'm happy with 9% sugar in what I've made and quite like 6% too.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

For salt, I use a saline solution when making cocktails. I think it would work well in a bottle too.
Just make a sample glass and see how much saline solution you need to add to make other flavors pop without going overboard with the saltiness.
When doing cocktails I avoid making drinks taste salty, however a little salt wouldn't hurt in this case I think.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

For calculating added sugar with a known abv, look at the charts on this page.

http://www.drecon.dk/index.php/19-hydro ... structions

It correlated pretty well with lab tests performed by the government. And they want to know exactly how much they can tax.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Nice chart. Shame the red line goes right through most of the 40% column on the chart. :)