Hand Sanitizer Recall - Methanol poisoning

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hand Sanitizer Recall - Methanol poisoning

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

It seems many of the hand sanitizers are getting recalled due to them containing methanol.
The articles are stating the risk of methanol poising through the skin from the hand sanitizers. I will say, I've created some of my own hand sanitizer for around the house. I did use the heads from some reflux runs (sugar heads).

You guys think there would be enough methanal from those heads to worry about? On Stripping runs I threw out about 1/2 jar and on the spirit run I did the same. I think it is ok, but just wanted to check with you guys and bring attention to the matter for others.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hand Sanitizer Recall - Methanol poisoning

Post by Expat »

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:18 pm You guys think there would be enough methanal from those heads to worry about? On Stripping runs I threw out about 1/2 jar and on the spirit run I did the same. I think it is ok, but just wanted to check with you guys and bring attention to the matter for others.
Nope, truth is methanol concentrations are, in general, exceedingly low

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Expat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 pm
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:18 pm You guys think there would be enough methanal from those heads to worry about? On Stripping runs I threw out about 1/2 jar and on the spirit run I did the same. I think it is ok, but just wanted to check with you guys and bring attention to the matter for others.
Nope, truth is methanol concentrations are, in general, exceedingly low
:thumbup:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

ive had mine checked at a lab. comes back not detected, i'm not doing anything your not doing to make it special. the only detections were acetaldehyde and acetone. and those were almost non existent. lots of ethanol though!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Some are being recalled in Australia because they did not have enough “alcohol” to be effective as a sanitiser.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Tennessee_Spirits
Novice

Post by Tennessee_Spirits »

The whole issue of methanol in hand sanitizers is a distraction. The fact remains that a sink and soap and water sanitizes much better and safer and the public is lead to believe they need hand sanitizer to be germ free. Fact is nothing safe will leave the hands or any skin actually sterile. But it is worth doing because the water and detergent removes oils and debris from the skin that harbor bacteria and virus particles and breaks their cell wall or exposed proteins.
Acetone is liver toxic but in too small concentration to be a problem and even commercial hand sanitizer can fall below 60% alcohol. A few years ago hand sanitizers were given away! It was not until hospitals embraced them as a replacement for frequent hand washing between patient contacts that these products matured. The main reason was that it cost much more to install a sink in a building already built. Gluing a hand sanitizer to the wall was a much cheaper way to comply with medicare's changing rulebook.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Tennessee_Spirits wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:16 am Fact is nothing safe will leave the hands or any skin actually sterile.
You mean no autoclave hand-sanitizing machines are hitting the market soon??

I agree that hand washing is getting lost in all the sanitizer noise (not that sanitizer isn't a useful tool).
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

pope wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:40 am
Tennessee_Spirits wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:16 am Fact is nothing safe will leave the hands or any skin actually sterile.

I agree that hand washing is getting lost in all the sanitizer noise (not that sanitizer isn't a useful tool).
Yep. Just like brewing, there is a difference between "washing" and "sanitizing". If your hands are dirty, no amount of sanitizer is gonna get them clean. Soap and water, and a good scrubbin.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

pope wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:40 am

To paraphrase what a biochemical engineer friend of mine once said; Killing bugs is easy, not killing the host is the hard part.

At least in my locality, its pretty well understood that sanitizer is targeted towards situations where a sink/soap isn't available or appropriate.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Expat wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 am At least in my locality, its pretty well understood that sanitizer is targeted towards situations where a sink/soap isn't available or appropriate.
I thought that was common knowledge, that fact has been pushed from the very begining of the virus situation in this country.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Around 280 products on recall here ALL from mexico. :crazy:

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-a ... s-methanol

edited to add I would wager that this is a global problem. :twisted:
be water my friend
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Expat wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 am
At least in my locality, its pretty well understood that sanitizer is targeted towards situations where a sink/soap isn't available or appropriate.
Same here. There are some idiots though. But the message from the "experts" is to wash hands with soap and water thoroughly.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:10 pm
Expat wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 am
Same here. There are some idiots though. But the message from the "experts" is to wash hands with soap and water thoroughly.
The only message they managed to get right.

Cross flow condenser

Post by gwizard »

I just drink my whisky, sorry, sanitize nasal throat cavity, and not worry about it too much ;-)
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

gwizard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:12 pm I just drink my whisky, sorry, sanitize nasal throat cavity, and not worry about it too much ;-)
Be sure to make it a double whisky: 2 * 40 % = 80 %. The minimum strength of good sanitizer.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Know it a old thread but had to get out an on the way back stop by Lowe's. They got hand sanitizer an got some.
If you want to know the scent the old boys is lookin for to stop collectin that it. That stuff got to be made from distillery likker cause it is backins.
Dern it stinks

So I'm tole
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

I've used a lot of hand sanitizer that smells like whiskey heads.

From the reports I've read, those methanol poisonings were from idiots DRINKING hand sanitizer. Most likely it was made from denatured alcohol.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Haha even my wife recognized heads in a sanitizer here. Now's a good time for noobs to learn to make cuts ;-)
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Bet them folks is high gradein bonded backins with medical likker.

The difference between heads and backins is the difference between dollar an sence to some

So I'm tole
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

goose eye wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am Know it a old thread but had to get out an on the way back stop by Lowe's. They got hand sanitizer an got some.
If you want to know the scent the old boys is lookin for to stop collectin that it. That stuff got to be made from distillery likker cause it is backins.
Dern it stinks

So I'm tole

Yep.
All the sanitizer dispensers at my gym smell like some bugger'd up whiskey.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.