A little history of Alcohol in Saudi Arabia

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

maltyguy
Novice

A little history of Alcohol in Saudi Arabia

Post by maltyguy »

As you know Alcohol of any kind is banned in Saudi Arabia, the punishment for consuming alcohol is 40-80 lashes
and 3-9 months in jail if the judge was in a good mood, you also get banned from traveling for 2 years.

theres two ways to drink alcohol in Saudi Arabia:

1- Black Market
2- Local alcohol
3- Travel to Dubai

about The Black Market: most of it is fake or diluted, King Robert whisky is the highest selling brand along with Red Label
and Absolut Vodka.
a bottle of a real Chivas 12 or Black Label could cost you about 350$ (dollars)

about Local Alcohol : they call it Arak but its not really Arak, what it really is just a low Sugar Shine with added fruits.
its really dangerous to drink, they dont remove the methanol or make any cuts and they often add rubbing alcohol to increase the yield.

as you see in the pictures, its only made by illegal immigrants. they ferment the sugar wash in a plastic barrel
and distill it in big aluminum presser cookers, they run it fast and hot and then dilute it with water (for more profit) to about 25-30% abv
a 1.5 liter plastic bottle of this poison is 40$ (dollars).

many people here have liver problems and cancer because of it, some go blind.
this is the only local drink u can have in Saudi Arabia it has many names Arak, Abu Zanouba, Zahlawi ..etc
but as i said its just a low Sugar Shine with rubbing alcohol and other chemical to mask the flavor
of tails.

to drink safely u have to travel to Dubai where they sell the real stuff or drink the local stuff at your own risk.
SpeakEasy
Novice

Re: A little history of Alcohol in Saudi Arabia

Post by SpeakEasy »

Everything about that looks dangerous!
Thank you for the lesson in culture!
The wise man has something to say. The fool has to say something.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks, makes me wonder how you attend those photo’s
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

maltyguy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 pm its really dangerous to drink, they dont remove the methanol or make any cuts and they often add rubbing alcohol to increase the yield.
The lack of cuts won’t make it dangerous .Just taste shite . Its the addition of other stuff that causes the problems .

Anyway , its a shame that you can’t buy a safe drink there .
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

It’s going to take a lot of runs distilling those barrels of wash in those tiny pots. Fruit and rice wines would be pretty easy to make at home in small enough batches too.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

I've never been to Saudi Arabia, but I have lived in a neighboring country and also traveled the 3 countries that border it. Just wanted to point out a couple things. Majority of the workers there are not illegal immigrants. Most come over on work visas from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Philippines, etc. The skilled workers make around $0.25/hour in most of the countries over in the Middle East. Their passports are usually held onto and they are forced to work until the debt for getting them there is re-paid. At that point they will try to find another job to make some more money, but again, nothing near what minimum wage in the US is.

Saudi's go to Bahrain every single weekend and party it up drinking at all the bars/clubs in the area. There is actually one liquor store in Bahrain that I know of and you could easily sell a bottle from the base there to a local for 3-4 times what you buy it for and they will still sell it for a profit. Hotels and their bars/restaurants in UAE/Qatar/Oman are usually the only places to get alcohol legally.