Sugarlands Distillery has largest pot still in the US

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Sugarlands Distillery has largest pot still in the US

Post by Bushman »

Interesting article but look at their pot still in comparison to the person installing it.
https://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/go ... n-the-u-s/#
EA94D31E-01A8-4A67-BA11-39CC0B854BAB.jpeg
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sugarlands Distillery has largest pot still in the US

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice! 4,500 gallon boiler feeding a four plate 36” CM column. Looks like a 3” feed into the column. Will 3” be adequate for my baby boiler? Lol...

I wonder if they strip/spirit and fill that with low wines? Pretty massive!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

I wonder if they strip/spirit and fill that with low wines? Pretty massive!
[/quote]

I was doing some math on that. Pretty unreal numbers
If in doubt leave it out.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Sugarlands … don’t they make Mark & Digger’s recipes?
Sugarlands Distillery
Sugarlands Distillery
Big production with a “Discovery zone” promotion, Moonshiners that is.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Yes, i think a few of em got together and started it, i know several from the show have theirs there
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Kick ass still. I guess what bothers me is when they call taxed un-aged whiskey “moonshine”.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:35 pm Kick ass still. I guess what bothers me is when they call taxed un-aged whiskey “moonshine”.
So that the hipsters buy it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:47 pm
Stonecutter wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:35 pm Kick ass still. I guess what bothers me is when they call taxed un-aged whiskey “moonshine”.
So that the hipsters buy it.
Haha!! Exactly
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Personally I hope they're successful. Assuming they continue to use TN grains. This keeps beautiful farms from turning into subdivisions.

Living in Tennessee, I'm passionate about keeping money local when possible. When I decided that in the interest of final product looks. I chose to buy a custom TN built still, rather than build my own.( didn't trust my craftsmanship ) By doing so I helped a family one county over. Instead of filling someone's pocket several states away.

I hope tourist continue to visit the distilleries in Sevier County and across the State. I wish them luck
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

SmokyMtn wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:10 am Personally I hope they're successful. Assuming they continue to use TN grains. This keeps beautiful farms from turning into subdivisions.

Living in Tennessee, I'm passionate about keeping money local when possible. When I decided that in the interest of final product looks. I chose to buy a custom TN built still, rather than build my own.( didn't trust my craftsmanship ) By doing so I helped a family one county over. Instead of filling someone's pocket several states away.

I hope tourist continue to visit the distilleries in Sevier County and across the State. I wish them luck
I understand where you are coming from. In our state years and years ago they took a valley that was great farm land and made it into industrial buildings. I always felt they should of saved the farm area and built on the foothills.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bushman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:47 am
SmokyMtn wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:10 am Personally I hope they're successful. Assuming they continue to use TN grains. This keeps beautiful farms from turning into subdivisions.

I understand where you are coming from. In our state years and years ago they took a valley that was great farm land and made it into industrial buildings. I always felt they should of saved the farm area and built on the foothills.
Yep. Its happening still to this day. Great farm land in Kent, Puyallup Orting, South Prairie, etc. all being covered in concrete warehouses, and subdivisions, while we ship in food from other areas adding to the cost for the consumer.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

By local! Always benefits the community rather than shareholders. Have watched three flyshops go belly up to the big box retailers and internet in my own community and over the last 40 years have seen millions of black gumbo river bottom farm land get sub-divided and covered in concrete between my home and Dallas. Please don't get me started.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

To change directions a bit looking at the guy on the boiler and the size difference, how would you like to do the leak testing on a rig that big?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Instead of pressure testing it, I'd only pour it full with water to see if it leaked.
That and have a water trap for a PRV to protect the copper pot from vacuum and over pressure. :wink:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just my 2 cents worth.
To call taxed un-aged whiskey “moonshine” doesn't bother me.
I'm rather proud they are making whiskey, instead of buying GNS and bottling it like many folks do. :thumbup:
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

-Shady
When I use the word “they” I mean legal distilleries in general. It’s a gimmick to use the word moonshine so I am not a fan. I’d still drink their booze. I try to buy local and craft when I can. It broke my heart when I discovered that one of my favorite local distilleries (High West) got most of their products from MGP. I still drink their swill. High West has come out with a un-aged whiskey they simply called “Silver”. Not a huge fan of fads and gimmicks just my 2 cents :wink:
-Thomas Paine
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

The smoke and mirrors of marketing... Just set a couple drams of different make side by side and judge it by how it tastes and the consumption experience. I do enjoy a nice clean white middle hearts jar but not typically the unaged stuff that’s sold along with a tiny little barrel.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Certainly is pretty.
If I was setting up a commercial still it would be stainless rather than copper but I suppose marketing over enginerding.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

tiramisu wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 am Certainly is pretty.
If I was setting up a commercial still it would be stainless rather than copper but I suppose marketing over enginerding.
The art over science, rather.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:50 am
tiramisu wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 am Certainly is pretty.
The art over science, rather.

No I mean marketing.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Generations of experience would disagree
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.