I have read until the eyes bleed and.....

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: I have read until the eyes bleed and.....

Post by still_stirrin »

rwking wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm 1) Is there a ratio or a recommended capacity between the still, thumper, and condenser? For example, a 10 gallon still would be best paired with what capacity thumper and condensor?
A standard “rule of thumb” is 1/3 to 1/2 of the boiler volume for the thumper. This will give adequate “headroom” in the thumper to avoid puking from the thumper into your product condenser.
rwking wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm 2) Are there advantages and/ or disadvantages between various types of condensers? liebig vs shotgun vs flake stand and worm
Shotgun condensers are usually the most efficient, meaning they use less water to sink heat into. But shotguns are more difficult to build. They also can be shorter overall length because of the bank of vapor tubes versus a single vapor tube common to the Liebig.

Other condenser designs, Liebig and Graham condensers for example, have advantages and disadvantages, often construction difficulty being the deciding factor when choosing to build.

A flake stand is effective when coupled to a potstill and/or a thumper and represents the “classic design”. But, they are not as efficient because of the volume of water needed to condense the vapor. The worm can be critical to build to ensure the coil always has a “downward” spiral to avoid pooling of condensate within the worm.
rwking wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm 3) Advantages and/or disadvantage to types of heating? propane vs electric?
Electric heat is probably less expensive energy than propane or wood fire. It is also easier to manage control of the heat input (which can be useful for controlling the vapor production rate). However, the first cost, or cost to acquire the control system will be higher than propane or other direct-fire solutions. Often, distillers prefer one over the other because they already have the equipment from other utility. But out of demand, electric solutions are more available and cost effective now compared to the past.

Electric powered boilers are often cleaner and quieter to operate than a noisy, smelly “jet burner”.

If your requirements include a “remote location”, then portability may dictate propane power over electric.

In conclusion, all of your questions are subjects of much discussion and varied opinions within the website’s forums. The fact that you ask the questions you have in the manner you have indicates that you have not yet spent enough time reading the many threads throughout the website. So, your eyes have not yet begun to bleed even though you feel they have. You’re just getting started.
ss
Last edited by still_stirrin on Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Ha ha ha! I think it's more accurate to say search (with the search function upper right) until your fingers bleed....thumper size should be 30-40% of your boiler size, although there are some real advantages to a 1 to 1 ratio for steam stripping etc. (Search term thumper size)

For the condenser, it's an ease of construction, physical size, and material cost trade off scenario. Maybe aesthetic sensibilities in there if you lean that way. Liebig is straightforward to build, but needs to be pretty long for larger boilers.

Propane is a potential explosion hazard and expensive. 'Lectric takes keg (or boiler mod) and a controller, plus a big outlet to plug into, depending on your juice requirements....

A few searches should provide more depth to this basic overview.
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

rwking wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:41 pm Thanks, I felt sure it was in the reading, I just could not find it.
It's in the searching as Oatmeal has said, for example in the Google section of the search function type Propane vs Electric, there is over a page of results for threads on that very subject :thumbup:
app.php/googlesearch?cx=012980085383122 ... mit=Search
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:36 pm
A flake stand is effective when coupled to a potstill and/or a thumper and represents the “classic design”. But, they are not as efficient because of the volume of water needed to condense the vapor. The worm can be critical to build to ensure the coil always has a “downward” spiral to avoid pooling of condensate within the worm.
I only have ever used a pot still with worm. I use 15 gallons of water to strip 10 gallons of wash. Does a shotgun type condenser use less than that? I'm just curious. I live on a well in a drought area, so using less water is always good.

I use the nice hot water for clean up, so it doesn't feel like a waste anyway.
Last edited by stillanoob on Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

The problem here is there is TOO much info spread out in thousands of threads on hundreds of topics from several decades, many of them specific to the thread starter's specific circumstances (or the thread hijacker's whimsy), and much of it contradictory, so I don't blame you for asking.

I think it's safe to say you can make something good with just about any combination of what you mentioned but it helps the folks here if you include some info on your circumstances. What are you making? What are your skills? What resources are cheap in your area? Do you have the time and patience to build or are you buying off-the-shelf or are you somewhere in between with an assembly of parts from multiple sources?

You won't find a lot of absolutes in this hobby, which is part of what I enjoy, but there's a lot of folks here who will nudge you, sometimes not so gently, in the right direction if you tell them what your situation and end goals are.

Keep reading but keep asking questions too. Good luck!