Green chunks in spirits

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Newbiestiller
Novice

Green chunks in spirits

Post by Newbiestiller »

Hey guys! New distiller here. I ran my first successful run yesterday and everything seem to be going fine. I took about the first 100ml of foreshots out. I’m doing a sugar mash. I then started collecting everything. Once I filled my first container, I looked at it and noticed some particulate. Mostly white chunks (which I believe may be from my previous run that puked quite a bit) but there were some tiny little green/teal chunks. Not very many. Maybe 1-3 chunks in each jar (I got about 3.5 total). Im wondering what this could be, if it is safe, and how could I go about this batch moving forward. I may not have cleaned my condenser completely or properly on the previous failed run. Any information would be helpful! Thanks!
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Re: Green chunks in spirits

Post by Rrmuf »

Not sure of the setup or boiler load but if you had a puke and the outtake path is not completely clean, who knows what it is! Just make sure the entire vapour and outtake path is completely clean.
-- Rrmuf
Newbiestiller
Novice

Post by Newbiestiller »

I’m running just a pot still. Should I just trash this batch and make a whole new one? Thanks!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Newbiestiller wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:53 am I’m running just a pot still. Should I just trash this batch and make a whole new one? Thanks!
sound advice.

maybe re run this batch after cleaning your equipment. read kiwistiller's guide to cuts, it kinda sounds like you just collected all the low wines in one vessel....smaller increments and discerning cuts will make you a better stiller.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

The blue and teal bits are oxides of copper. Somewhere in the down flow of your path. Probably your condenser.

You need to do a vinegar and sac run if you haven't already, or maybe even if you have. The vinegar should clean up the corrosion. For the sacrificial run just water down what you have to <40% alcohol and run it again.
:)
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Difficult to answer without a photo, it could be an accumulation of substances present in the queues or metal oxides as said by others ...