reflux ratio:congeners

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

honeybeerbadger
Novice

Re: reflux ratio:congeners

Post by honeybeerbadger »

Ok thanks good to know. Do I nderstand what that means for 90%abv with x number of plates you can take off X percent of vapor?
Does that mean speed it comes out? % vapor
What does %of vapor exactly represent? Drip speed? How can drip speed be a %?
Fivey
Bootlegger

Post by Fivey »

Eh? Now you are being very confusing with your questions.

I was addressing your querying about some slow technique that would somehow do something special with fores, and was trying to cut you off at the pass because that is a blind canyon. It has nothing to do with plates or vapor speed.
honeybeerbadger
Novice

Post by honeybeerbadger »

Sorry. Nevermind. I was asking about a previous post from above
Hügelwilli
Swill Maker

Post by Hügelwilli »

To take off 10% of the vapor means for me, that 10% of the vapor goes through the product condenser and 90% back down into the column. Condensated vapor of course. Sorry, if my English sometimes is not clear.
JamesH
Novice

Post by JamesH »

Tummydoc wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:12 am Nope. And I agree it's not wet cardboard. It's more like sipping turpentine!
I can conquer, it makes my gag reflex go crazy as soon as I take a wiff .🤢
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Hugelwilli touches on an important point. A long time ago Rad established "add more height for more purity, and more diameter for more speed", but the rule is not perfect. Far from it. A taller column makes it easier to make more pure, high abv product. So just by adding height, you can speed up output (by lowering reflux). So height translates to more speed. And - given the same power input - just a wider column will not help.

I agree with Hugelwilli's assessment that the biggest issue the OP faces is that the packed column section is not long enough. Add a foot and double production rates, would be my estimate.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yep what Odin said. Have to keep things in context.
With same power/heat input the added width offers little.

Taller column allows you to stretch your gradient and get more distillation cycles.

30x the diameter used to be the standard no?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Odin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 am And - given the same power input - just a wider column will not help.

Odin.
True. Would you not agree there is a cap on the how much the speed can be increased by adding height alone? And the next step would be to add power, width and height to get a faster take off rate?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Sure. And here is another important design factor: what packing is used? The older varieties are optimal with lower vapor speeds and lower amounts of total reflux. More modern ones can handle higher power settings and more reflux. So after lengthening the column, the next step could be to assess column packing.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Maowmaow
Novice

Post by Maowmaow »

Honeybeerbadger, how did the extension work it for you? I have the same column as you and have also purchased an extension for it and was curious as to what to expect.