Newbie with newbie questions!

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cg81
Novice

Newbie with newbie questions!

Post by cg81 »

Hey Guys,

I just signed up and have been reading for hours and hours and hours, I'm damn near crosseyed! I have a ridiculous amount of reading left to do. I find the more I read, the more questions I have and the more I need to read. Which is good, I'm really enjoying learning about it. I have 2 questions that I have searched for but been unable to find answers to and was hoping somebody could help me out.
-I'm finding a lot of recipes create a large mash. I was planning on using 6.5gal carboys for fermenters. This seems very common along with buckets and other various vessels around the same size. So the question is, is it ok to split up a mash into multiple fermenters and then combine the wash when ready to distill? ? From what I have read and deduced, I would say yes but I want to make sure I'm not getting confused?
-Is there a more technical/proper way of scaling down a recipe, for example just halving the recipe or are there other things that need to be considered?

Thanks in advance!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Newbie with newbie questions!

Post by still_stirrin »

cg81 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:54 pm... I was planning on using 6.5gal carboys for fermenters. This seems very common along with buckets and other various vessels around the same size. So the question is, is it ok to split up a mash into multiple fermenters and then combine the wash when ready to distill?
I use 5 gallon carboys for fermenters too. I make 12 to 13 gallons of ferment per batch, so that requires 3 carboys. It works fine, because by the time I rack off of the trub, I have one charge for my 1/2 barrel (15 gallon) boiler...roughly 11 to 12 gallons.
cg81 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:54 pm...Is there a more technical/proper way of scaling down a recipe, for example just halving the recipe or are there other things that need to be considered?
It’ll work just fine. Most recipes are scalable up or down to suit.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

cg81 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:54 pm Hey Guys,
-I'm finding a lot of recipes create a large mash. I was planning on using 6.5gal carboys for fermenters.
-Is there a more technical/proper way of scaling down a recipe, for example just halving the recipe or are there other things that need to be considered?

Thanks in advance!
Don't know what type/size still you have.

But one of the first things I learned is it's just as easy (not any harder) to do a larger mash than a small one.
I have a 5 gallon post still, no more than 4 gallons at a time. It's just as easy to do 12 gallons - 3 stripping runs for 1 spirit run.
SOS 3.png
10 gallon Oatmeal Sugarhead

Depending on temp, I have a 13 gallon Igloo as well as 20 & 30 gallon Sterilite totes - less than $10 bucks from Target.
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:35 pm
cg81 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:54 pm... I was planning on using 6.5gal carboys for fermenters. This seems very common along with buckets and other various vessels around the same size. So the question is, is it ok to split up a mash into multiple fermenters and then combine the wash when ready to distill?
I use 5 gallon carboys for fermenters too. I make 12 to 13 gallons of ferment per batch, so that requires 3 carboys. It works fine, because by the time I rack off of the trub, I have one charge for my 1/2 barrel (15 gallon) boiler...roughly 11 to 12 gallons.
cg81 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:54 pm...Is there a more technical/proper way of scaling down a recipe, for example just halving the recipe or are there other things that need to be considered?
Thanks! How long do you go between batches? I've read that the wash mash can sit for a little bit but not too long?
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

TDick wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:58 pm
cg81 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:54 pm Hey Guys,
-I'm finding a lot of recipes create a large mash. I was planning on using 6.5gal carboys for fermenters.

Thanks in advance!
Don't know what type/size still you have.

But one of the first things I learned is it's just as easy (not any harder) to do a larger mash than a small one.
I have a 5 gallon post still, no more than 4 gallons at a time. It's just as easy to do 12 gallons - 3 stripping runs for 1 spirit run.

SOS 3.png
10 gallon Oatmeal Sugarhead

Depending on temp, I have a 13 gallon Igloo as well as 20 & 30 gallon Sterilite totes - less than $10 bucks from Target.
I've got a 8gal still. I was debating using a cooler or something similar as well but there seems to be a lot of concern over using plastics and a friend was selling some glass carboys so I just snagged them from him. I have to figure out how to transfer from kettle to carboys still as well as I've noticed some recipes call to add the yeast at the end and obviously the opening on a carboy isn't very big. I feel like I'm probably overthinking things haha.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Food safe plastics are fine for making ferments, just not for contact with high abv spirits.
Those carboys will come in handy for storing low wines too.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

One of the fellas jugs his wash up right after cooking.
Locks it down while it's still hot and creates a bit of a vaccum as it cools. Putting it in the jugs while still hot also keeps things well sanitized. Says he keeps it indefinitely.

Says he cooks when the weather is less favorable for optimal fermentation temps. Soon as the weather gets good, then he ferments.

I'll ask him about.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

cg81 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:53 am...How long do you go between batches? I've read that the wash mash can sit for a little bit but not too long?
A mash ferments about 3 days, but I’ll let the fermenters set a week, so they clear a few days. Then rack to the boiler. So, I’ll strip a week after brew day.

Then, typically in a few days after the strip run, I’ll brew again, refilling the fermenters. And the cycle starts again.

But, brew day is an all-day affair with corn gelatinization and then the mash schedule for all the grains before sparge and runoff to the fermenters. Usually I’ll pitch yeast as I runoff to the fermenters and the airlock activity is full-bore within the hour.
ss
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:42 am
cg81 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:53 am...How long do you go between batches? I've read that the wash mash can sit for a little bit but not too long?
A mash ferments about 3 days, but I’ll let the fermenters set a week, so they clear a few days. Then rack to the boiler. So, I’ll strip a week after brew day.

Then, typically in a few days after the strip run, I’ll brew again, refilling the fermenters. And the cycle starts again.

But, brew day is an all-day affair with corn gelatinization and then the mash schedule for all the grains before sparge and runoff to the fermenters. Usually I’ll pitch yeast as I runoff to the fermenters and the airlock activity is full-bore within the hour.
ss
What do you mean "clear a few days"
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

cg81 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:02 am...What do you mean "clear a few days"
...to wait for the yeast to flocculate and settle. The beer will “clear”...it goes from hazy to clear...like orange juice to orange Koolade. Clearing reduces the amount of “solids” racked into the boiler, thereby minimizing the chances of scorching during the strip.
ss
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:09 am
cg81 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:02 am...What do you mean "clear a few days"
...to wait for the yeast to flocculate and settle. The beer will “clear”...it goes from hazy to clear...like orange juice to orange Koolade. Clearing reduces the amount of “solids” racked into the boiler, thereby minimizing the chances of scorching during the strip.
ss
Ah yes, I'm still trying to keep track of all the slang I'm learning. Thanks for the help!
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:35 pm
Another logistical issue I'm trying to think about is transferring from kettle to carboys, especially if splitting into multiple carboys. Do you just pour it and split it as best you can using a funnel, siphon, use a drain valve and tubing or what is your process for putting mash into carboys? I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish the same goal but just wondering what other people do to determine which path I want to take. Thanks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

cg81 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:16 amAnother logistical issue I'm trying to think about is transferring from kettle to carboys, especially if splitting into multiple carboys?

Do you just pour it and split it as best you can using a funnel, siphon, use a drain valve and tubing or what is your process for putting mash into carboys?
I “lauter” (sparge) my mash, so my mashtun has a false bottom with a drain valve. I have a hose that allows me to direct the flow to any one of the carboys as needed. Typically, I’ll add a gallon to each fermenter and rotate the filling process so that the wort in each fermenter is about the same. Since I lauter, the runoff starts with a high OG but gets thinner and thinner as it progresses.
ss

p.s. - I do not boil the wort, I run from mashtun to fermenter. It is usually at 120-130*F by the time of runoff, so the gluco-amylase enzymes are still active and continue to convert any residual starches in the fermenters. The rehydrated yeast is “supercharged” by the warm environment, so activity starts quite quickly.
Last edited by still_stirrin on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:27 am
cg81 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:16 amAnother logistical issue I'm trying to think about is transferring from kettle to carboys, especially if splitting into multiple carboys?

Do you just pour it and split it as best you can using a funnel, siphon, use a drain valve and tubing or what is your process for putting mash into carboys?
I “lauter” (sparge) my mash, so my mashtun has a false bottom with a drain valve. I have a hose that allows me to direct the flow to any one of the carboys as needed. Typically, I’ll add a gallon to each fermenter and rotate the filling process so that the wort in each fermenter is about the same. Since I lauter, the runoff starts with a high OG but gets thinner and thinner as it progresses.
ss
so much to learn haha, thanks a ton. I appreciate it!
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

LWTCS wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:09 am One of the fellas jugs his wash up right after cooking.
Locks it down while it's still hot and creates a bit of a vaccum as it cools. Putting it in the jugs while still hot also keeps things well sanitized. Says he keeps it indefinitely.

Says he cooks when the weather is less favorable for optimal fermentation temps. Soon as the weather gets good, then he ferments.

I'll ask him about.
Look up no-chill brewing. It's pretty popular in places that have water restrictions, like Australia. They use plastic 5 gallon water jugs.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Beerswimmer wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:01 am
LWTCS wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:09 am One of the fellas jugs his wash up right after cooking.

I'll ask him about.
Look up no-chill brewing. It's pretty popular in places that have water restrictions, like Australia. They use plastic 5 gallon water jugs.
Yep that's it.

He said he just poured an entire pallet on the ground a couple of weeks ago after 3 years in storage.

Was still viable. He's just a lot more tired these days and doesn't have the energy to make beer or distill any more.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

:shock: :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised:
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

Another stupid question I have, and the more I read I keep going around in circles. When putting your mash in the fermenters, do you always strain it first? I know there are BIAB styles that remove most solids before it goes into fermenter but from what I have read it seems that people will also put the whole mash into the fermenters but strain it before it goes into the boiler. Do certain recipes call for different methods or am I missing something? Thanks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

cg81 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 am Another stupid question I have, and the more I read I keep going around in circles.

When putting your mash in the fermenters, do you always strain it first? I know there are BIAB styles that remove most solids before it goes into fermenter but from what I have read it seems that people will also put the whole mash into the fermenters but strain it before it goes into the boiler.

Do certain recipes call for different methods or am I missing something?
Some do...some don’t. It all depends on how much you want to handle the mash...and when.

Straining before fermentation makes clearing after fermentation simple...just rack off the lees. I lauter (sparge) my mashes before running into the fermenters. This is based upon the tools I have and the experience I have. It makes fermentation “cleaner” and perhaps a little quicker to flocculate.

Straining after fermentation (squeezing or pressing the grains) for those who ferment on the grain can be a bit of a chore...some use a mop bucket to do it. And when you consider the grains are saturated with your distiller’s beer, there is more incentive to be more rigorous with recovery. But fermenting on the grain does produce more grain flavors. And the opportunity for better conversion of residual starches to alcohol.

In the end, it is not so much recipe driven as it is more process motivated. And also, how motivated you are. In other words....YMMV!
ss
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:32 am
cg81 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 am Another stupid question I have, and the more I read I keep going around in circles.

When putting your mash in the fermenters, do you always strain it first? I know there are BIAB styles that remove most solids before it goes into fermenter but from what I have read it seems that people will also put the whole mash into the fermenters but strain it before it goes into the boiler.

Do certain recipes call for different methods or am I missing something?
Some do...some don’t. It all depends on how much you want to handle the mash...and when.

Straining before fermentation makes clearing after fermentation simple...just rack off the lees. I lauter (sparge) my mashes before running into the fermenters. This is based upon the tools I have and the experience I have. It makes fermentation “cleaner” and perhaps a little quicker to flocculate.

Straining after fermentation (squeezing or pressing the grains) for those who ferment on the grain can be a bit of a chore...some use a mop bucket to do it. And when you consider the grains are saturated with your distiller’s beer, there is more incentive to be more rigorous with recovery. But fermenting on the grain does produce more grain flavors. And the opportunity for better conversion of residual starches to alcohol.

In the end, it is not so much recipe driven as it is more process motivated. And also, how motivated you are. In other words....YMMV!
ss
Makes sense, Thanks!
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

Reading about cuts, kiwistiller says "On a pot still, the absolute minimum that should be allocated to foreshots is 150ml per 25l of wash. So, for a second distillation of, say, 3 stripped 25l washes (with no cuts made in the first distillation), you would want to discard 450ml of foreshots"

so if you are running a stripping run do you take the foreshots off or do you not take ANY cuts at all do it all on the spirit run, like mentioned. If you take it off the stripping run, do you have to do it again on the spirit run?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Dang....you ask a lot of questions...especially questions that have been asked and answered many times before. Why do I get the impression you have not done the mandatory reading? Go directly to Cranky’s Spoon Feed thread linked in my signature and start your homework. Read the thread and ALL of the links therein. It’ll answer all of your questions BEFORE you have to ask....and much more.
ss
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:01 am Dang....you ask a lot of questions...especially questions that have been asked and answered many times before. Why do I get the impression you have not done the mandatory reading? Go directly to Cranky’s Spoon Feed thread linked in my signature and start your homework. Read the thread and ALL of the links therein. It’ll answer all of your questions BEFORE you have to ask....and much more.
ss
Yeah, questions are good, better than assumption! I've been reading "til my eyes bleed" as prescribed. That's how I found the above quote.... including taking notes, printing and highlighting. Just asking the few questions that I can't seem to find answers to.. the google search works pretty good but I'm just trying to decipher the information that I'm reading. I would ASSUME that the foreshots is a "cut" so when it says not to take cuts, don't take foreshots on the stripping run and take them all on the second run, but I wanted to clarify?
Last edited by cg81 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Lots of different opinions there. Some like to take fores off every run.
Personally, I only take fores off a spirit run.
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

Corsaire wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:34 am Lots of different opinions there. Some like to take fores off every run.
Personally, I only take fores off a spirit run.
thanks. that's one thing I'm finding, lots of different opinions and ways to do things.