Old fruit

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rockcanyon
Novice

Old fruit

Post by rockcanyon »

New still will be arriving in a week or so, so I'm thinking about a sacrificial run. Was planning to do simple sugar but now it seems I might have another option. When cleaning out my elderly mother's freezer I found probably 50 pint bags of frozen fruit, mostly peaches, various years but all too old to eat. I know these came from her peach trees, not bought stuff. They still look and smell fine, not freezer burned. I'm wondering would they make a good mash for a sacrificial run, or would they possibly still be good for a real run? They don't seem to have a freezer smell, but if they do, do y'all think it would carry thru the distillation? I don't want to waste them if they might be able to make something drinkable. I was feeding a few bags a day to the hogs before I got this idea.
"A man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest" - Paul Simon
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Old fruit

Post by shadylane »

DON'T waste the fruit
Save it for a brandy run.
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

That sounds too good to sacrifice!

If you can get a 1.75 liter bottle of Calypso rum for about $10, you'll have the cheapest alcohol I could find. Maybe water it down to about 40 proof before you run it.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Throwing away fruit in a sac run would be sac! Sacrilegious that is! Make a sugar wash to get your fermenting chops up, sac that and then make some brandy!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Turn them into a puree and let them ferment, for sure you will get something good, don't throw them away!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Throw them my way. 😎🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
rockcanyon
Novice

Post by rockcanyon »

Thanks for the suggestions - brandy it will be. It will be my first brandy attempt, gonna have to do more reading here.
"A man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest" - Paul Simon