Upgrading my setup copper vs. stainless

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Copperman85
Novice

Upgrading my setup copper vs. stainless

Post by Copperman85 »

I’ve been using the claw hammer 10 gal copper still kit for a few years. I’m to the point where I want to up the volume and quality in my set up, keeping everything as efficient as possible while maximizing quality. My thought is to get the copper and build a 30 gallon traditional style Kentucky pot still with a 10 gallon thumper (copper) I will be using the New 30 gallon still for my strip runs. My thought is to use an old 55 gallon steel drum to use as a water heater to submerge the boiler into. I’m doing AG mashes So I want to be able to put the solids in the boiler and prevent scorching. I’d eventually like to take a stab at absinthe . My friend builds water heaters for the semiconductor industry so the water heater is not a problem. My question is; would it be better and more cost-effective to build the 30 gallon boiler out of stainless steel to do the strip runs? having the 10 gallon thumper with a fruit port to infuse flavors in the strip run? Then, I will use the old claw hammer 10 gallon still for my spirit runs. Packing mesh into the column for the final spirit run. Can you have too much copper? I’m not interested in making neutral spirits I want full flavor all grain whiskeys. Is it best to infuse flavors in the thumper for brandy’s in the strip run or spirit run?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Upgrading my setup copper vs. stainless

Post by acfixer69 »

This post is all over the place and not to a point so I'll address one question. The 55 gallon drum with 30 gallon smirgeged in it with water is a fail unless at a psi I wouldn't recomend as a homedistiller. Oil maybe. Just don't see this as a good plan.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Slow down a bit, try to enjoy the journey a little bit. Build your double boiler, if you want. I dont think it will work, unless you get a lot more patient. It might take a rig like that a long time to come up to temp. But I dont know, never done it.
You've got the perfect rig for what you said you liked to drink. Anybody can easily learn to make likker, but to make really good likker takes a bit longer and a bit more work. Just my .02
Have fun and stay safe.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Add a 10 gal preheater. Mine is SS with a copper worm. They don’t take solids, but they sure speed up doing multiple strips.
Copperman85
Novice

Post by Copperman85 »

I appreciate all the input. Sassafrass you are right about patience. Just spending a few hours on here and I’ve learned enough to know that isn’t the way to go. I wanted to still on grain because I had read somewhere that the Lees create more flavor for the final product. I have always wanted to do this but I’m afraid it will scorch with the setup I have. I haven’t been able to hunt down too much on runnin’ the still on grain. It’s hard with my setup to produce enough to fill a 30 gallon cask and sit on it for a while. That is really my goal at the moment. I appreciate all the insight!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Hey Copperman,

The system you envision is a bain marie, which is a 'boiler within a boiler' and comes with a special set of safety considerations on top of understanding how to manage steam or glycol under pressure. The most common alternative for home distillers to avoid scorching is to build a straight steam rig that mimics a thumper, and can be found here.

Steam Mashing and Distilling

Good luck.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

I steam strip all gain with a thumper.
I have been contemplating getting a bigger thumper.
Now i have two 15 gallon beer kegs.
But i would like to upgrade the thumper to 30 gallons to handle more mash
That way icould strip15 to 20 gallons to a shot
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Steam stripping is the way to go. Did my second steam strip a couple days ago and I'm never going back.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Here's a PDF of research on where copper is most effective.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0450.x/pdf

Search for threads discussing running with spent grain in the thumper.