Who is George?

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SpeakEasy
Novice

Who is George?

Post by SpeakEasy »

Over the last few days "George" has come up several times, along with his YouTube channel. Newbs tend to watch him when they gain interest in this hobby and do what we all do... search YouTube. The regulars in the group damn him and tell you not to watch him...
So who is George and what is so bad about him? Is he a member (or former member) of this forum and left a bad taste in some ones mouth (Pun intended)?
The wise man has something to say. The fool has to say something.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Who is George?

Post by acfixer69 »

To the best of my knowledge George Duncan is not and never has been a member here. If he had, he would no better then to pass bad information and down right unsafe standards.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Not a member or former. If he was, he would know better. He is just some dude who only read the first chapter on stilling theory, and made videos and money on it. He perpetuates wrong information, which makes our job and goal here much harder. He is comfortable to watch, and becuase so gets a following, almost to a cult level, of people with no more knowledge than a first day freshman, willing to die on his teachings. Even to the very knowledgeable experts here, who know better, but have a hard time breaking the bad ideas and habits that he has instilled.

Great power is great responsibility and all... you have that kind of reach, you owe it to your viewers to pass on correct information.

Posted same time as ac.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

SpeakEasy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:38 pm this hobby and do what we all do... search YouTube.
Until very recent times this wasn't a problem, it seems to have become a thing in the past 12 months.
Its probably because George has carpet bombed youtube with his video's.
As for us all learning from youtube I think your assuming things that might not be correct.
Ive personally met many hobby distillers in my own country and others.....very few of them if any learned by watching Youtube.
They learned the old fashion way .....through the better forums ,from people with experience who knew the right ways.
If you cant see for your self some of the misinformation that he dishes out then you have a long learning curve ahead.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

SpeakEasy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:38 pm Newbs tend to watch him when they gain interest in this hobby and do what we all do... search YouTube.

Do what we all do? you have spoken for way more people than your self. I have only learned about George from people coming

here to HD and asking about, telling about, espousing the virtues of George, and posting links to this king of s..t. The only

videos of George I have seen were brought to HD and posted by people for what ever reasons possibly thinking they are

or were relevant to conversations here. They are not relevant here. and until he gets his act together he has no usefulness.

except to make money preying on people with less knowledge than he.

If you want to know I really think P.M. me.
be water my friend
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

SpeakEasy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:38 pm So who is George and what is so bad about him?
My drunken .02 cents worth
This is the "New distiller reading Lounge"
The proper place for this question is the "Off-Topic Discussion" part of the forum.
Last edited by shadylane on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

I think younger generations entering the hobby will gravitate to youtube, because they are already using it for education for their other interests.
I'm a novice, but I'm fortunate that when I got into the hobby, I was already well involved in forums for my other interests and there wasn't much home distilling content on youtube.

HD will be like the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff for many new people.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Imo hes just one of us newbs with a u tube channel
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Durhommer wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:51 pm Imo hes just one of us newbs with a u tube channel
Preaching unsafe and bad information for big money. It's just not welcome here.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

acfixer69 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:46 pm
Durhommer wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:51 pm Imo hes just one of us newbs with a u tube channel
Preaching unsafe and bad information for big money. It's just not welcome here.
Nd that's why I dont follow him
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

He is a guy who owns a retail store that sells products to make beer, wine and spirit. He has his own YouTube Channel. His videos range from "how to", "Product Reviews", and general education about distilling. In terms of Distilling, he has the largest following although there are a couple others that are catching him in terms of subscribers. I believe him to be an intelligent man, but goofy. I personally have a hard time watching his videos and only seen a few. So I can't really says if most of his stuff is false, or just a few key points are in contrast to what this community teaches. The few that I've seen did not include information that is not inline with this community, with one exception. I have seen him use silicon tubing off a product condenser and silicon gaskets with triclamps. This community takes a hard stance that the only plastic that is alcohol safe with a still is PTFE. While I've not seen the videos, the biggest "how to" videos that frustrates our community promote a still can be ran using a PID controller. Lot's of new people come here and try to discuss this topic and site George as the authority. It has been debunked not only here but by other YouTubers that confronted him about it in person.

YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world. So if you go to YouTube looking for information about Distilling, you will come across his videos. I would wager a bet that of over 90% of what he says is not inaccurate nor unsafe. But, this is not a hobby that can afford a large margin of error. The reality is there are plenty of people putting out videos that are not in line with our community. Some are even members here who have have "how to" videos for stills they sell/manufacture that also include silicon tubes/gaskets the same as George. We don't throw out all the good information they provide because some of their safety standards are not inline with what we advocate. IMHO...he is critiqued here more than others because he has such a large influence to newbies that come in here and quote his misinformation as gospel. That and he is just goofy/annoying in his videos.
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

Post by Thebigbrewbowski »

Problem I have with youtube is that even if George or anyone else realizes they are wrong in a previous video, common sense and ethics would say take that video down or revise it and repost but nobody does that because who wants to loose revenue on a video that pays them money whether its right or wrong. Ive seen them all "correct" something they said on videos further down the timeline but if you dont revise the original content then its still dis-information especially for people who may not catch the revision months later the damage is already done.

At the end of the day anything you learn should be taken with a grain of salt, especially the easiest to access resources like youtube and other loose online collaborations.

Also dont wholly trust ANYONE who is even getting a dollar to make videos from sponsors. "Patreons" can be businesses as well and pay the youtuber for sponsored content or to make a video on something they make money from. I dont like videos who beg for my money, I dont understand why anyone would fathom paying a YouTube personality. People used to make videos out of passion, not anymore.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I had never heard George until less than a week ago. I watched one of his videos (well, attempted to watch) and wasnt impressed. If he gets some folks interested in the craft ( like the tv show) then that's a good thing. Some of them will get bored with it after a little bit and figure out it's a lot of work and eventually drop out. Some will always continue to use unsafe methods and materials and swear they are making a good drop. But some will learn, here and elsewhere and advance the in the craft. Of all those folks that see George, some will make there way here and they will question why we do things the way we do and why certain materials are verboten. Sometimes an explanation will bring them into the light, but dont expect it to always work. Folks dont like to change the way they think. Especially if it causes them to do a little bit of work.
So my $.02 is that in the big scheme of things George dont really matter. He may or may not change his views on some topics. I doubt it though, hes a salesman trying to sell products. And like most, his ethics are variable.
I'm getting off the soapbox now.
Yall have fun and stay safe.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I think this has gone on long enough. George is a business. We are a forum. Different objectives.
Question is answered.
He's not here to speak either.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

SassyFrass wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:19 pm George dont really matter.
He matters to me because he's caused the Mods and other members of this forum to spend countless hours explaining to Newbies why they and George are wrong about things.
I'd rather spend my time doing something more constructive than sorting out myths and misinformation that he spreads throughout the distilling world.
No one else that I know of in distilling circles has caused others to waste the amount of time and effort that George does.
I feel sorry for the multitudes of newbies who have wasted time effort and money when they tried to build and run PIDs to run stills on his recommendation.
Hes a menace to the hobby in more ways than one.