Electric heating elements

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Seanjohn19
Novice

Electric heating elements

Post by Seanjohn19 »

Hey everyone I was looking to upgrade my still with an electric heating element. Ive got someone that can weld stainless steel I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what the threaded fitting he would need to weld into my boiler is called.. thanks if you can help!
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Re: Electric heating elements

Post by CopperFiend »

A bit of a vague question I'm afraid. Lots of elements take different threads and some are triclamp connections. It depends where you are in the world and what size of element you want. Buy an element and then have him weld the correct fitting for that specific element on to it!
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

If you just want to attach a threaded element, you need a 1" NPS half coupler welded on at minimum. You would want a guard over the electrical connections and a ground point too.

There are nice tri-clamp options too with element guards and ground stud where you are adding either a 1-1/2" or 2" ferrule to the boiler and using prefabricated adapters.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Seanjohn19 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:53 pm Hey everyone I was looking to upgrade my still with an electric heating element. Ive got someone that can weld stainless steel I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what the threaded fitting he would need to weld into my boiler is called.. thanks if you can help!
Something like this works: https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp- ... 0-nps.html

Weld a 2” ferrule onto the keg just above the lower skirt. Then this adapter will accept the element and clamp onto the ferrule. You can order the ferrule, clamp, and PTFE gasket from them as well.
ss
Last edited by still_stirrin on Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I guess you mean something like that right?
Immagine 2021-01-31 191707.png
This is typically called "female Coupling F/F"
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

I went with the flexibility of the TC fitting and recommend that route as other have suggested.

The ferules come in different lengths. https://www.brewershardware.com/2-Tri-C ... ory_id=379
Seanjohn19
Novice

Post by Seanjohn19 »

Demy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:22 am I guess you mean something like that right?Immagine 2021-01-31 191707.pngThis is typically called "female Coupling F/F"
I think this is the right one 👍 thanks by any chance do you know how long of one I would need?
Seanjohn19
Novice

Post by Seanjohn19 »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:21 am
Seanjohn19 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:53 pm Hey everyone I was looking to upgrade my still with an electric heating element. Ive got someone that can weld stainless steel I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what the threaded fitting he would need to weld into my boiler is called.. thanks if you can help!
Something like this works: https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp- ... 0-nps.html

Weld a 2” ferrule onto the keg just above the lower skirt. Then this adapter will accept the element and clamp onto the ferrule. You can order the ferrule, clamp, and PTFE gasket from them as well.
ss
I think this will work aswell thanks
Seanjohn19
Novice

Post by Seanjohn19 »

Thanks everyone there's alot of different kinds.. I was also wondering if there's a weld less solution that anyone has used or seen used..
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Seanjohn19 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:21 pm Thanks everyone there's alot of different kinds.. I was also wondering if there's a weld less solution that anyone has used or seen used..
My first keg boiler I did a weld less solution, it worked 'okay' but nothing compared to welded. Potential for little leaks in the gaskets, plus it was a major project to clean/replace an element. Not woth it.

As others have stated, go with a 2" TC it's a lot more flexible than a threaded nut.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Demy »

Seanjohn19 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:14 pm
Demy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:22 am I guess you mean something like that right?Immagine 2021-01-31 191707.pngThis is typically called "female Coupling F/F"
I think this is the right one 👍 thanks by any chance do you know how long of one I would need?
You mean the length, right? You have to evaluate regular according to the thread of the element + any shapes (if welded) + if you need extra space for the element (for example if it has a narrow bottom of the stem and the element is long so an extension is useful for you) "). The tc version is a great alternative if you have shops nearby (not in my case). For the connection without welding you have to find a similar piece but with an external thread too so that you can insert 2 nuts, one inside and one outside (with gaskets).
Heavy_Spirits
Novice

Post by Heavy_Spirits »

I've got a question on grounding a heating element. I'm using a tri clamp mounted element that has a center screw post. Can I ground to the center post?

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

You can.

The center screw will ground the plate that the elements are attached to. But, the elements are insulated from the mounting plate. When the plate (and elements) are attached to the boiler ferrule, the T/C clamp will complete the ground through the plate to the boiler. So you should be protected should a short occur from the element to the mounting plate.

I ground the housing and the boiler, although the T/C clamp will carry the ground through to the boiler from the element housing.

I think you’ll be OK.
ss

p.s. - If you want to check for bond integrity, put the element into the boiler, with the gasket and a T/C clamp. Then, use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance between the screw (you’re asking to ground) and the boiler shell. It should be a very low to no resistance measure. If so, you’re good.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Heavy_Spirits
Novice

Post by Heavy_Spirits »

Thank you so much for confirming that! Great tip on checking with the ohmmeter.
still_stirrin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:31 pm You can.

The center screw will ground the plate that the elements are attached to. But, the elements are insulated from the mounting plate. When the plate (and elements) are attached to the boiler ferrule, the T/C clamp will complete the ground through the plate to the boiler. So you should be protected should a short occur from the element to the mounting plate.

I ground the housing and the boiler, although the T/C clamp will carry the ground through to the boiler from the element housing.

I think you’ll be OK.
ss

p.s. - If you want to check for bond integrity, put the element into the boiler, with the gasket and a T/C clamp. Then, use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance between the screw (you’re asking to ground) and the boiler shell. It should be a very low to no resistance measure. If so, you’re good.
glfclbs1
Novice

Post by glfclbs1 »

boiler.jpg
I used a 15.5 gal half barrel keg. I had 2 x 1.5" tri clamp, 1 x 2" tri clamp, and 1 x 4" tri clamp connector welded on mine. One for my Heating element, one for a drain, a 2" for whatever I may need to add later, and a 4" for a cleanout. Hope this helps!
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Seanjohn19 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:21 pm Thanks everyone there's alot of different kinds.. I was also wondering if there's a weld less solution that anyone has used or seen used..
Alternate to welding: (for screw in electric water heater elements)

I have attached stainless steel 1" npt half couplings to a short pony keg and to a corny lid using Harris Stay-Brite 8 and Stay-Clean LIQUID flux.
They work well together and make a very strong bond. My joints are two years old and show no signs of anything. There is cleaning prep work that needs to be done that you can read about elsewhere. If you clean the bottom 1/4" of the side of the coupling it will be very easy to form a fillet for added strength.

I do not recommend 45% or 56% silver braze as you will risk over-heating and cracking the keg.

Not having a machine to do this, I radiused the bottom of the coupling by rubbing it over 220 wet paper layed on the keg. This is a boring and slow go, but it works. The better the fit the better the joint.

So far, I have drilled the holes in the kegs AFTER soldering. If you flow water(for cooling) into the coupling while you drill it will go amazingly fast with a bi-metal hole saw.
4811C4C1-DFF0-4C78-847E-6F7662DA1596.jpg
btw: The basic Stay-Brite (4%) seems to be more than adequate.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

egk_2_1.jpg
I used this from still dragon and I couldn't be happier.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Check out all of the options that Dernord offers on Amazon. I have this one and it has been perfect. All you have to do is cut a hole and have a 2" Tri-Clamp ferrule welded to the lower side of your boiler. I would not recommend a short ferrule because short ferrules make tightening the clamp more difficult due to very little clearance. Medium to long ferrules are more convenient.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:10 am I would not recommend a short ferrule because short ferrules make tightening the clamp more difficult due to very little clearance. Medium to long ferrules are more convenient.
Having soldered a short ferrule to the bottom of my keg I can second this opinion. Thankfully I don't take the element off that often. It's not impossible, just a lot less comfortable than I'd like.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
glfclbs1
Novice

Post by glfclbs1 »

61ohcF8ejIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is the one I am using.