Kiwi mash for my airstill

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

todicpetar
Novice

Kiwi mash for my airstill

Post by todicpetar »

Hello again,

I am looking for some guidance in my first ever fermentation attempt.. I chose something unusual - kiwi!

I bought 2 4l jars and placed this in each:

500g of kiwis I mashed in hot water to squizz out the juices, 1kg sugar, one little bag of rum sugar, one little bag of vanilla sugar, and one little bag of cinnamon.
I added water and tried to keep it mild, but on the hot side. I then got some baker's yeast and poured it on top.
I closed the lid and drilled tiny little holes with my knife.

Picture -

https://postimg.cc/YGkwkBbx

Plac is to let it ferment until the bubbles stop and distill it in my little airstill.

Any advice on what I did wrong, and/or what should I add to the mash?

Thanks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Kiwi mash for my airstill

Post by still_stirrin »

Did you measure the original gravity (O.G.)? No, then that’s the 1st thing you did wrong.

Also, how much sugar (all types) did you use and the volume of water?

Finally, it is always wise to rehydrate dry yeast before pitching. It will help it start better and healthier.

It seems you need to read a while before getting ahead of yourself too far.

Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
todicpetar
Novice

Post by todicpetar »

Thanks for the reply!
I don't have the gravity meter.,. yet. I will make sure to buy one asap.

I used a rule of thumb I read in here - https://www.storey.com/article/making-f ... 0fermented.

It says - "Three pounds of sugar in 1 gallon of water will produce approximately 14 percent alcohol in a finished wine if the sugar is completely fermented."

I forgot to write in the op, but I did hydrate my yeast in warm water before putting it in the yars.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

It's much easier for people to help and give advice if you stick to Tried and True recipes from the forum to begin with.
Members here know how and why those recipes work......and that they do work.
No one here is going to recommend that you make a wash with an ABV of 14% just for starters.
Best to learn to walk before you try to run.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

+1 to what Bill & SS said: Target your mashes in the 7-10% range.

The Airstill was my first rig also. When you're dealing with those small volumes, it's all about QUALITY vs quantity. Don't believe the hype that you can get good product from just once through your still (even if/when you scale up to larger system).

Run your 1st batch as a straight-up stripping run. You should get 0.7-1.0 L of product. Do that x-times for how much of original mash you have. Then combine it all (obviously w/ a max of 4L capacity) for your spirit run.

OR (and this worked decently for me) do your first 4L batch as a stripping run. Then add that back into your still, top-up with wash (figure the balance of that 0.7-1.0 L of product would be ~3.0-3.3L). This is essentially what's known as a "1.5 run" (stripping product + wash). Make your hearts cuts (~600 mL in my experiences), and then put your heads/tails (~0.8L) into the next boiler charge, topping up to 4L with the wash.

Continue this until you're out of mash. I assume you're using 6 gal/22L buckets. So essentially you're running ~5 batches/bucket. I recommend you take cut jars of ~150 mL. I couldn't get my alcometer to float in my graduated cylinder with less than that. Jars 4-7 typically made the hearts cut on my Odin's Rye Bread recipe. Save your feints on last run for next batch.

Good luck, have fun, and keep reading! You CAN make decent product, but it just takes a while. Like I said, 5 runs @ ~3hrs each = 15 hrs per 6 gal bucket. You should end up with ~3L of product in the 40-45% range.

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
todicpetar
Novice

Post by todicpetar »

Thanks guys.
I do admit this was an impuls buy caused by kiwis being on sale.

I will regroup, get some tomato paste and try Birdwatchers for my first distillation. The rest of the kiwis can be a desert for now.

Thanks Duck for the advice on the airstill!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

todicpetar wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:49 pm I will regroup, get some tomato paste and try Birdwatchers for my first distillation.
Now that you are this far you might as well continue on ..no sense in wasting something that might work out.
If worse comes to worst you can at least practice making some cuts with it.
todicpetar
Novice

Post by todicpetar »

Keeping it, by I have another 30l bucker and I just bought ingredients for BW.

I wreport what happens woth the kiwi here, and will move over to BW thread to go through the process with tp wash there.

I appreciate all the help, it is amazing. I am keeping notes on all the advice I am getting.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

You will run into big trouble. The feathers and beaks along with the tough legs do not mash well at all.

Try using kiwifruit for a much better result
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Timothy_W
Novice

Post by Timothy_W »

How pleasant is the taste of kiwi in liqueur? I would add a little strawberry or lime for a spicy touch. See kiwi, as for me, does not have such a bright and full taste.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Yeah we did get it, Teddysad.

Geoff
The Baker
Jonsmith8608
Novice

Post by Jonsmith8608 »

I have done kiwi before it comes out good I am actully gonna mash in some kiwi tomorrow
dragon9874
Novice

Post by dragon9874 »

i know this is an older thread todicpetar, but how'd it turn out?? the cinnamon is the biggest concern for ME... tho got lots w/ this one. ;-) cinnamon is something i avoid just 'cause it's so tricky, but would love to hear your experience! very little goes a VERY long way in distillation. the recipe sounds a bit sketch (IMHO ;->)... too much sugar, holes in the top, etc. don't mind the dry yeast, always works for me (but start it sometimes).
My Journey Started here: Cranky's Spoon Feeding!
10G pot still + 3.5G thumper + 4G condenser... all copper! d-(^^,)
{DWDSD} \m/(^_^) \m/