RECIPE CONVERSION (not liters to gallon, etc.!)

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stogie
Novice

RECIPE CONVERSION (not liters to gallon, etc.!)

Post by stogie »

For example: If a recipe is for a 10-gallon still (boiler) and I am using a 5-gallon boiler can the recipe simply be halved? For the most part the answer may seem obvious as for as quantities, but it is the yeast that concerns me. (Yes, I am new ...... yes, you can beat me up without hurting my feelings. :D )
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: RECIPE CONVERSION (not liters to gallon, etc.!)

Post by Deplorable »

Most yeast packets will inoculate 5 to 10 gallons. Use the same amount.

If you're using a 5 gallon boiler, and double distilling, you should be making 15 gallon ferments anyway. That will give you 3 stripping runs, and enough low wines combined for a spirit run.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
stogie
Novice

Post by stogie »

THANX Deplorable!!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I use a single yeast packet (eg US05 or whatever) for large batch and smaller ferments. My large batches (32g brute) take a couple days to cool off so I just make a starter using the packet first in a mason or gallon jar (with a smaller stovetop mash just for the starter) and a couple days later the yeast has reproduced quite a bit... Not too scientific but it has worked well for me!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Their are pitch rate calculators used in beer brewing that will work well if the yeast is your only concern.
:)
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:15 am If you're using a 5 gallon boiler, and double distilling, you should be making 15 gallon ferments anyway. That will give you 3 stripping runs, and enough low wines combined for a spirit run.
I prefer a bit more headroom in my boiler :ewink: , but the concept is correct .
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:27 pm
Deplorable wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:15 am If you're using a 5 gallon boiler, and double distilling, you should be making 15 gallon ferments anyway. That will give you 3 stripping runs, and enough low wines combined for a spirit run.
I prefer a bit more headroom in my boiler :ewink: , but the concept is correct .
Unless you're running everything, your not gonna get 15 gallons back from a 15 gallon ferment. I get 2 boiler charges of about 10.5 to 11.5 gallons from a 25 gallon all grain ferment after squeezing and clearing the wort depending on how patient I am on clearing.
I lose about 1 to 1.25 gallons just to the grain that my mop wringer process doesn't recover. Maybe I have room for improvement. 🤔
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Like Deplorable, I build a gallon starter the day before mash day, mirroring the grain bill I'm mashing. 4gm of yeast grows exponentially overnight in the starter and I pitch half of it (store the other half in the fridge for the next mash) into a 12.5 gal ferment. Works a treat.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

This is where experience in beer and wine making really help. You gotta think you’re just making shitty beer. Most if not all yeast manufacturers will include detailed instructions on their packets. Search for “how much yeast”

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 39&t=47734
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine