Question about personal experience on average run time

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Question about personal experience on average run time

Post by Hybrid pot still »

So my question is on a pot still, I'm running a pot that I can run 3 gallons of mash/wash through.. with 3/4" line riser at 10" with a 90 l, still 3/4 for another 18" out horizontally reduces to half inch, with is all OD I believe.. which the half inch continues for another 10" , 90 down to a half inch OD worm with is actually 3/8 I believe which is problem I think, and my problem is it takes me 6 hours on average, 16ozs ever 1½ hours, roughly i can get a 3/4 of a gallon of good liquor from 3 gallons of 18% abv mash I do, 6 hours though?? I feel that this isn't right to some degree, and I've been reading and I've tried mesh because I do see huffing happening i believe at the end of my worm with the liquid going in and out in and out..
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Question about personal experience on average run time

Post by Deplorable »

Well, not that its any comparison, but I run a 13 gallon milk can, 2" X 15" riser to a 2 inch T, through a 2" 90 elbow, and into a 2" X 20" shotgun condenser for my pot still. My 10 to 11 gallon stripping runs take about 2 to 2.5 hours, and a spirit run of 5 to 7 gallons of 30 to 40% low wines takes about 5 to 6 hours from turning on the power to shutting it off, and I get between 5 and 6 quarts of keep after cuts.
With a little bitty riser, lyne arm and flake stand, You're probably in the ball park.
Think of it like you're driving a two lane road in traffic, wishing you were cruising a four lane freeway all alone at night.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

What is your heat source? A whole other area of discussion is your 18% ABV. You'll get more off flavors pushing yeast like that. I think most experienced folks will say 5-8% is the sweet spot for a ferment.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

+1

Tube diameter = volume. The bigger you can go the more vapor can pass through. Just think, a 2" still would let you distill twice what you're getting now in less than half the time. The other issue with small-diameter vapor paths is smearing.

From the ferment side, your best flavor will benefit greatly by reducing your starting ABV to below 10%. If you're not looking for flavor, you can still improve your run times (and quality) by going up to 2".
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The diameter of the riser won't make as much difference as the internal diameter and length of the condenser will. Bigger is better, especially at the diameters you are using. That said, small diameter risers are more prone to puking.

If you already like what you are making with 18% washes and single runs, maybe you shouldn't change anything and should just put up with the time spent and the quality you get. It's not something I would do. I run three or four stripping runs of around 8% wash, then do a spirit run. It's one of my many hobbies, so the time spent isn't as important as the quality of my end product is.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Tummydoc wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:19 pm What is your heat source? A whole other area of discussion is your 18% ABV. You'll get more off flavors pushing yeast like that. I think most experienced folks will say 5-8% is the sweet spot for a ferment.
A electric stove, I use flechtmans instant with yeast nutrients and Energizer, but about half of what the instructions say.. my 15 gallon still I'm working on is going to be propane tho, I really admire Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton and I'm making a still similar to what he made from what I've found anyway.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

I thought my diameter was the problem but as small as runs in doing I wasn't sure, thank you everyone for replying, its really neat talking to other ppl about this, I have no one to refer, compare or conversate. I appreciate this
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Are the plates on that electric stove governed by a thermostat?
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Yes but I'm constantly watching it so I manipulate it by when I hear it kick off and light goes off, I turn it up 1 notch for a sec then it kicks back on in a couple secs then I kick it back down to orginal setting, there is times I miss it tho and I see it in my drips off the worm as it slows.. then I'm like shit... lol. I hate the stove tho, I feel as propane will be better but I'm also going to have to take more necessary safety precautions
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:54 pm Are the plates on that electric stove governed by a thermostat?
Yes but I'm constantly watching it so I manipulate it by when I hear it kick off and light goes off, I turn it up 1 notch for a sec then it kicks back on in a couple secs then I kick it back down to orginal setting, there is times I miss it tho and I see it in my drips off the worm as it slows.. then I'm like shit... lol. I hate the stove tho, I feel as propane will be better but I'm also going to have to take more necessary safety precautions
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

There is half of your problem, a still needs constant steady power/ heat input.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I regular use of the plates for small lots, there is no problem with the plates but you can't use the original thermostat, this because you will get on / off cycles and is not good for distillation, but if you insert a SCR (or a similar system ) you will enjoy your plate, as long as you are small lots, 3 gallons still go well
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

on my still in pot mode I get about a quart every 20 mins