propane

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

putter5775
Novice

propane

Post by putter5775 »

Havent cranked still up yet. I was wondering about how much propane does it take for a 12 gallon run? Either stripping or spirit run, tks, just trying to make sure I have plenty on hand....
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: propane

Post by still_stirrin »

What kind of burner do you have?

Some are efficient…others aren’t.

Your question is like, “how long is a piece of string”? (a quote from Rad, for those who remember him).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well, for me, I could usually get two stripping runs of 12 gallons each and a 5 to 6 gallon spirit run off a 20# tank, with a 13 gallon milk can boiler, 2" pot still, and a 100Kbtu rated "Cache Cooker" burner. What you get will depend of many factors. Id suggest you start with a full tank, and a 2nd tank on standby until you determine what your consumption rate is. If you run it enough that you get tired of going and filling propane tanks, you'll either convert to electric elements, or convert your burner to NG and run off the utility gas line (if you have gas to the house)
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I run about the same as Deplorable. And I second his advice. If you only have one can go for it anyway. You can always use the sweat on the side of the can to figger out how much is in there.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I get two 20-30 gallon strips per can and can start to warm up a third. I always start a spirit run with a new tank…but have some left.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A bottle will always run out at the worst possible time , exactly when you don't want it to. Murphys Law dictates that it will always be that way.
I know this because I have always used LPG/Propane and probably always will.
Always start a spirit run with a full bottle, use 1/2 and other less than full bottles for stripping runs....its not quite as annoying to have to stop stripping for a couple mins while you change gas bottles. Its probably not even so bad running out of gas on a spirit run using a pot still.
However................running out of gas when your humming along and know your stills right on the sweet spot in the middle of hearts with a plated column or packed reflux column is a royal pain in the arse.
putter5775
Novice

Post by putter5775 »

tks for the responses, was asking in general, onward
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Post by Hybrid pot still »

Alright, so i just started researching and reading up on LP burner, as i finally got one yesterday, got.it running today but it still leaks at the regulator slowly, and that "slowly" will build up.. but another trip to part store for the last time hopefully, had to go through at least a thousand fittings trying to fit it or combination of fittings to make it work lol... saw fittings i didn't even know existed, but will remember that because i saw some i could have used before, but anyhow pretty excited about my first burner. Its pretty old tho but makes my pot still unique and has a cool as shit vintage look now lol. But anyway, i been trying to figure out the BTU's on it, and since read about the British Thermal Units.. ive kinda done the 10lbs of water or 5 quarts of water, little over a gallon of water if i understand correctly and see how fast it raises 10deg in on hour, but didn't do it accurately because of my leak, but not only BTU but ive read some on here use wattage as reference to their "gas" burner and I figure they are referring to Natural gas but my point is that i thought wattage and BTU are two different things and not comparable/compatible with each other in measurement? I thought? I just started reading today and haven't found anything on here, yet besides this and the one about gas. If they are can explain or send me link to read about other ways possibly to find out how powerful mine is, and different ways to figure this out, or a technique or formula?
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

20210610_011001.jpg
Alright, so i just started researching and reading up on LP burner, as i finally got one yesterday, got.it running today but it still leaks at the regulator slowly, and that "slowly" will build up.. but another trip to part store for the last time hopefully, had to go through at least a thousand fittings trying to fit it or combination of fittings to make it work lol... saw fittings i didn't even know existed, but will remember that because i saw some i could have used before, but anyhow pretty excited about my first burner. Its pretty old tho but makes my pot still unique and has a cool as shit vintage look now lol. But anyway, i been trying to figure out the BTU's on it, and since read about the British Thermal Units.. ive kinda done the 10lbs of water or 5 quarts of water, little over a gallon of water if i understand correctly and see how fast it raises 10deg in one hour, but didn't do it accurately because of my leak, but not only BTU but ive read some on here use wattage as reference to their "gas" burner and I figure they are referring to Natural gas when saying gas, but my point is that i thought wattage and BTU are two different things and not comparable/compatible with each other in measurement? I thought? I just started reading today and haven't found anything on here, yet besides this and the one about gas. If they are can explain or send me link to read about other ways possibly to find out how powerful mine is, and different ways to figure this out, or a technique or formula?
20210610_010945.jpg

Oh and here is the pics of my new/old burner, i like it, will like it more after tomorrow at the part store for new regulator lol
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Shirley, you don’t plan to run the burner on that counter (next to that “flammable curtain”), do you? <— not a good plan.

Safety first!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Cool burner. If it doesn't burn right it may be for natural gas. If so you can change the orifice. Don't worry about the BTU's it will do what it does. SS is right, get rid of the flammables. INcluding whatever kind of case it is sitting it in. Have at least a 5# ABC fire extinguisher handy.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

those legs can break where the screw goes through the Y on the leg. If your leg has a through

hole instead of a Y it is stronger BUT that is very thin cast iron not made for much weight.
be water my friend
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Also, forgot to say this earlier but it looks like you used regular teflon tape. You should use the yellow teflon gas tape.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I've got two of the 7.5 gal tanks and about 5 of the 4+ gal tanks here.

Since I use them all winter for extra heating (electricity is very expensive in my neighborhood) the local fillers don't bat an eye when I buy 35 gallons of the stuff.

That's enough for me to run pretty well right through summer, then fill again when it starts getting cold outside.
I think I've got a pretty good system going!

My stripping runs go at about 2 gallons of product per hour and it takes around 2.5 to 3 hours to go through a boiler load.
I can do several stripping runs on a 4 gallon tank of propane.

That's about 15 gallons of wash per run and when I was doing big batches it would take around 6 runs to get through a batch.
Of course I always have extra full tanks on hand, so I've never had a situation where I ran out and had to go buy gas.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:42 am Shirley, you don’t plan to run the burner on that counter (next to that “flammable curtain”), do you? <— not a good plan.

Safety first!
ss
Lol, no. I just got it that day and was excited to how it was going to work, if even work.. which does but learning about fuels/gas etc. Im running this little fire hazard on the porch lol, im too un easy yet to run in the house, although i have it sealed off for leaks, and will check throughout my actual run, which is tomorrow finally, long week at work.. really excited for my first propane run though, if you see the mushroom cloud tomorrow you'll know its me lol
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

stillanoob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:56 am Cool burner. If it doesn't burn right it may be for natural gas. If so you can change the orifice. Don't worry about the BTU's it will do what it does. SS is right, get rid of the flammables. INcluding whatever kind of case it is sitting it in. Have at least a 5# ABC fire extinguisher handy.
Ive come to find that out after messing with it and reading, should've probably read more before asking lol, but i was excited, im finally going to run it tomorrow for my first propane run, i will post it for you guys. I also got a backup burner that is bad as shit, kinda scary mean lol, it can roar, i got it to use in this stand also, with some adapting. But its my backup. Im determined to run propane damit lol, got 15 gallons of mash to practice with, along with new plumbing to get my worm away from the flame
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

cob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 pm those legs can break where the screw goes through the Y on the leg. If your leg has a through

hole instead of a Y it is stronger BUT that is very thin cast iron not made for much weight.
Idk, this thing weighs 45lbs at least, im not following
the hole instead of the Y? I want to if you can explain please, will post more pics to help maybe
20210612_234603.jpg
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Hybrid pot still wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:47 pm
cob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 pm those legs can break where the screw goes through the Y on the leg. If your leg has a through

Idk, this thing weighs 45lbs at least, im not following
the hole instead of the Y? I want to if you can explain please, will post more pics to help maybe20210612_234603.jpg
Its all angle
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

stillanoob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:01 pm Also, forgot to say this earlier but it looks like you used regular teflon tape. You should use the yellow teflon gas tape.
Ya.. ive fixed that lol
fzbwfk9r
Bootlegger
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle of God's country. Saskatchewan!

Post by fzbwfk9r »

stillanoob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:01 pm Also, forgot to say this earlier but it looks like you used regular teflon tape. You should use the yellow teflon gas tape.

why is that?
fzbwfk9r
Bootlegger

Post by fzbwfk9r »

what I did for my BBQ at my camp, went to a wrecking yard that had campers. stripped off the "AutoChangeOver" valve and put that inline on my BBQ.
now when one bottle runs out, the other comes on line automatically
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

fzbwfk9r wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:21 am

why is that?
Yellow is double density and required in most places. The propane installer here uses yellow and puts a light coat of dope on it too. Yellow is required by law in most places. I always use yellow for propane.

In fact, white tape is only rated for (water) pipes up the 3/8" For 1/2" to 2" you are supposed to use pink which is triple density. I don't actually know anybody who does, I don't. Most often I use white with a lick of dope. Especially with plastic fittings.
fzbwfk9r
Bootlegger

Post by fzbwfk9r »

ok, thanks

can you just use more wraps? or is there a standard, like 2 wraps?
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

2-3 is typical. It also depends on what thickness you are using and the size and type of fitting you are using. But as a general rule, 2-3. You might take a look around for more information, there is more to it than I can type here.