Distilling terms and initialisms.

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BatGuano
Novice

Distilling terms and initialisms.

Post by BatGuano »

I see a lot of initialisms and acronyms used here, and I am not sure what a lot of them mean. I have looked in the HD Glossary, but not all are listed. What does AG stand for? for example. Is there another section of the forums besides HD Glossary that I should be looking for?
--------------------------------------------
––––––––Live from the GLRS––––––––
––––––––The Man From DAD––––––––
--------------------------------------------
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Distilling terms and initialisms.

Post by Saltbush Bill »

AG stands for "All Grain"
The following links will take you to the forum Glossary's
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58100
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/index.ph ... y:Glossary
Entering " Glossary" into the forum google search function brings them up.
Vurumai
Novice

Post by Vurumai »

Love someone that knows the difference between an acronym and an initialism. You'll go far!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Vurumai wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:20 pm Love someone that knows the difference between an acronym and an initialism. You'll go far!
Never heard before of an initialism.

Geoff
The Baker
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

The Baker wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:37 pm
Vurumai wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:20 pm Love someone that knows the difference between an acronym and an initialism. You'll go far!
Never heard before of an initialism.
That makes it a good day, we learned something :D
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Me either until now Geoff.
Acronym
an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).

Initialism
an abbreviation consisting of initial letters pronounced separately (e.g. BBC ).
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

There's also Recursive Acronyms but I couldn't find any related to distilling :(
In computing, an early tradition in the hacker community (especially at MIT) was to choose acronyms and abbreviations that referred humorously to themselves or to other abbreviations. Perhaps the earliest example in this context – from 1960 – is the backronym "Mash Until No Good", which was created to describe Mung, and a while later was revised to "Mung Until No Good". It lived on as a recursive command in the editing language TECO.[3] In 1977[3] came TINT ("TINT Is Not TECO"), an editor for MagicSix written (and named) by Ted Anderson. This inspired the two MIT Lisp Machine editors called EINE ("EINE Is Not Emacs", German for one) and ZWEI ("ZWEI Was EINE Initially", German for two), in turn inspiring Anderson's retort SINE ("SINE is not EINE"). These were followed by Richard Stallman's GNU (GNU's Not Unix). Many others also include negatives, such as denials that the thing defined is or resembles something else (which the thing defined does in fact resemble or is even derived from), to indicate that, despite the similarities, it was distinct from the program on which it was based.[4]

An earlier example appears in a 1976 textbook on data structures, in which the pseudo-language SPARKS is used to define the algorithms discussed in the text. "SPARKS" is claimed to be a non-acronymic name, but "several cute ideas have been suggested" as expansions of the name. One of the suggestions is "Smart Programmers Are Required to Know SPARKS".[5] (this example is tail recursive)
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Not a bad idea as most people seem to use initials and or acronyms for terms. Might be a good idea to add these to the Glossary. If people want to list them I will update the glossary. I will add AG right now.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

A pet peeve since day one, and I live in what seems to be the the world center of acronyms. WTFDTM.
be water my friend
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Not that we are much enlightened by him these days BUT I would like a resource to translate goose eye's posts.... though i usually get it after the 6 or 7 read.

Iamslow
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?