Highest Proof?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

phish_311_live
Novice

Highest Proof?

Post by phish_311_live »

1.What is the highest proof youve ever drank or ever heard of someone drinking? 2.What do you personally consider to be the highest tollerable proof?
Last edited by phish_311_live on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyratesurgeon
Novice

Re: Highest Proof?

Post by pyratesurgeon »

Have you tried taking a neat shot of Stroh rum, from Austria? 160 proof and it burns...

Just my humble 2 pence worth.
"Don't worry, it's not My blood."
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

god, my brother brought me a bottle of stroh, almost killed me. I've also had some terrible absinthes (a path fraught with pain and disappointment) that were in the high 80%'s. absolutely awful. I don't really like anything over 50%, and frequently dilute my whisky or such with a bit of water to maybe 35% to enjoy the flavours a bit more without an ethanol burn.
Last edited by kiwistiller on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

highest proof ive ever tried was bacardi 151 (75.5%...a half percent? c'mon). once. drinkable, but not something i walk into a store and say,"OHH 151, SWEET!".

Highest i tolerably/socially like to drink is 50%, however 40% is the go to. im not a frat boy.

was tempted to try a shot of 184 proof coming out of my still, but common sense prevailed.
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
Nightforce
Swill Maker

Post by Nightforce »

Common sense didn't prevail here...

I can easily tolerate Booker's at 126 proof...sooooo...what the hell, it's only 190, can't be that bad. Took off about 20ml middle of a run through the bok.....

Can anyone say "WHAT THE F*CK WAS I THINKING!" Couldn't taste anything for a while and had a tickle in the back of my throat for about 2 days.

I'd say Booker's at 126± proof is what I'd "normally" drink on the rocks. Usually stay within the normal 80-100 proof tho, when I'm to cheap to buy Booker's.
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

Had me some 190 Everclear in lil plastic cups with big fat maraschino cherries in em that these topless girls were selling for a $1 a pop at the Harley Rendezvous in upstate NY.

After about 5 of em my buddys filled me in on what I was popping down. Guess I was a bit distracted by the cherries ......
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I tried some of mine at 60abv early in my venture into distilling and was not at all impressed. No taste that I could notice because my mouth had gone on holiday. I usually aim for 40abv, but have decided over the last month or so to reduce it to 35-30 and have more flavour much the same as kiwi has done.

It's very tempting to try for higher abv - especially when new to stilling - but I prefer it flavoursome.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
lake
Novice

Post by lake »

I've read on this site about people making 180-190 proof alcohol and i thought yall drank it like that. :shock:
i figured i would have to water mine down before i drank it.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

As young pups we're taught that 'Bigger is Better'. It usually takes time and temperance for that to be broken through. For some, it never cracks.

WalkingWolf
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Tried a shot of Ukrainian Gorilka (Vodka). 70% - 140 proof. Sure got a good nights sleep that night.
I'll go with Blanik - 35%/40% - and I can stay up a bit later...LOL :mrgreen:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I leave mine at 120 proof (barrel strength)all the time, but I sip not chugalug. and do not usually drink more than one or two a night.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

80 through 100 proof when Im drinking but taste when stillin at whatever proof thats running out
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

tater wrote:80 through 100 proof when Im drinking but taste when stillin at whatever proof thats running out
taste as in gargle, swish, spit, ect?
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

toofless wrote:
tater wrote:80 through 100 proof when Im drinking but taste when stillin at whatever proof thats running out
taste as in gargle, swish, spit, ect?
Just a small swish around mouth.Then a few slow breaths in and out. For me thats good way to get taste of product at what ever stage run is in.And yes if like me take out dentures :wink:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

I normally drink mine between 110-125proof — I also drink Bookers straight up in small sips. The final temper to proof just depends on how it tastes. But, I always keep a small flask of 150 or so around...for ..umm..medicinal purposes. Every batch seems to come out a little different. I will say that I have had 150-170 proof whitedog that was quite drinkable in small sips even at that proof. But, that's been pretty rare, for me anyway. Grain neutral at any proof doesn't taste like much. Russians/Easternblock folks round here like that stuff though (ie., high-test grain neutral).
Vodka_Master
Novice

Post by Vodka_Master »

Strait up shots of 82% Absinthe! Well those were great holidays. Strangely i was not that sick the next day. Usually i don't venture above 40%. I always wanted to take a shot of 95%, or the 94% they sell here in stores, but untill now never tried that, and don't feel like ever trying that. I think i'm getting old, not as crazy as i used to be.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Guess it depends on what I'm drinking but 140 is the upper limit for me. If I wanted to get hurt and do it fast 190 proof alcohol wouldn't be my first choices.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

Bundy Rum Red Spot 75% 160 proof, that was before red spot got watered down to someting like 100 proof because alot of fools were getting smashed and hurting themselves apparently.
SMOKEU
Novice

Post by SMOKEU »

I've tried 80%ABV straight from the still. Fuck that burned!
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Here's how I drink high proof (140-170 proof)
1) Pour a "very" small amount in bottom of a 1oz glass
2) do NOT stick your nose in it and smell it. Smell it carefully starting from a distance, moving closer, while swirling glass around under your nose. If it's still to much, open your mouth.
3) put your lips tightly on the glass and tilt the glass back till you feel it wet your lips and let it a very tiny amount pass to your tongue and swallow it (basically, the smallest sip/sample you can possibly take, but more than just dabbing your finger in it)
4) it's gonna burn and sting, so...if you didn't follow the advice of rule number 3 and take a very small amount, you are probably done for the day.
5) your lips, mouth and throat are now numb, and you can take a slightly larger sip and enjoy it (but never more than small sips)
6) NEVER do shots with anything over 100 proof.
7) a small amount in a 1 oz glass is good for several sips or several people....so share.

In the interest of safety: For varied reasons, never drink more than a few sips this way at a sitting. First of all, you'll feel it (the Alcohol). It doesn't make you drunk so much as high (euphoric). But, it also kills tissue cells in your mouth/throat the min it comes in contact with them. Drink plenty of water when you finish — you'll most likely still wake up with a dry/raw throat but it helps. Lastly, because of all of the above, it would not be something I'd recommend doing on a "regular" or on-going basis — you could develop scare tissue, oral/throat cancer, from long term regular use.
ct1870
Bootlegger

Post by ct1870 »

Not sure what the proof was but got some spirits off the worm put it in some ice from a finished drink. The ice did not float and swirled it around. It was too damn strong for me. I was still dizzy the next morning. But I did not have a headache. I'm guesing around 160 proof or better. Has anyone else seen the ice not float to the top?
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Just been given a bottle of this...

The Spirit of Austria. It's 160/proof - 80%/abv.
Have not tasted yet, am going to have it with a little Coka Cola.

Somebody told me to pronounce Stroh - it rhymes with Row... Anyway, will report back...
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Post by Cornbread »

Well..add my 2 cents worth. I have no taste buds left. I drink nearly all of mine at 138 proof and up. It don't take as long to get drunk, the bottle I sneak in the place don't have to be as big, and the ugly women look better - faster.
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

Anything over barrell strength (65%) ain't for straight sippin. I'll try 45% if it's good stuff but even good stuff will taste better with a cube of ice melting in the glass. (Dependin if youre tastin or not :) )

There's no pride in burnin out yer inner skin. You can get pissed plenty with 10%...many people manage to get blotto on 7%.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

It's a different experience all together. Some of the best whisky from scotland..is barrel strength (55% to 67%). If they water it at all..its just a drizzle. Mostly, you keep a water on the side. It's meant to be drunk that way. Been like that for centuries. It also feels different. Ain't nobody I know would be caught dead puttin ice in their whisk(e)y. That just numbs the whiskey :).

I can tell you, that whiskey at high proof...makes you more high than drunk. It's like your brain is still working fine, but your legs, arms, etc...just ain't cooperating. You start saying stuff to yourself like...why am I trippin over all this shit? You feel more euphoric than you do drunk. I got a few stories I could tell :)
Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Post by Cornbread »

Usge wrote:I can tell you, that whiskey at high proof...makes you more high than drunk. It's like your brain is still working fine, but your legs, arms, etc...just ain't cooperating. You start saying stuff to yourself like...why am I trippin over all this shit? You feel more euphoric than you do drunk. I got a few stories I could tell :)
So that's what the hell's wrong with me? Now I know why I am the only guy that carries Band-Aids in his billfolder.
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
lacedspirits
Novice

Post by lacedspirits »

I drank a 1oz shot of 190pf GNS from one of the first runs I did. No cuts whatsoever. Kept it down for a whole 30 seconds. That's something I will NEVER do again.
Beat it to fit. Paint it to match.
noshybabs
Novice

Post by noshybabs »

Samohon wrote:Just been given a bottle of this...

The Spirit of Austria. It's 160/proof - 80%/abv.
Have not tasted yet, am going to have it with a little Coka Cola.

Somebody told me to pronounce Stroh - it rhymes with Row... Anyway, will report back...
i took some of this to a lads camping weekend once. We all tried it but it practically evaporates strait out of your mouth.

In the end we stuck to beer, got really pissed then tried to light a BBQ... wouldnt light so we poured a cap full of this onto the embers. Im kid you not the flames were bright blue and 10ft high.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

my brother had to smuggle me back some stroh, because (seriously) it is strong enough to be a security threat on a plane.

edit: and it tastes rank (to me, anyway)
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
noshybabs
Novice

Post by noshybabs »

kiwistiller wrote:my brother had to smuggle me back some stroh, because (seriously) it is strong enough to be a security threat on a plane.

edit: and it tastes rank (to me, anyway)
haha, i would compare the taste to rubbing alchol mixed with petrol.