What is everyone drinking?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What is everyone drinking?

Post by NormandieStill »

Last night my wife invented (well, probably not, but we've never come across it before) the Oran-gin-gina (tm). A shot of OEG, a couple of ice cubes and a decent splash of Orangina. The citrus flavours in the OEG marry perfectly with the Orangina and the result is waaaaay to dangerously drinkable.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

9DE70BB0-0BA8-49AC-8FC3-05A1E85D34F0.jpeg
Little gift from a friend for a Friday night. Rye’s haven’t been my fave but this one is on point.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

glass of my year old spiced rum and coke . :thumbup:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

This is a pretty tasty single barrel Wheat from Grand Teton Distillery in Driggs ID.
20210806_171954.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

My nuclear rum hit 101 days yesterday and it's done.
This is side by side with a bottle of 5 year old aged in bourbon barrels.
Last night, rum, blackberry lemonade topped with ginger ale.
Rums.png
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Wasn’t a stilling weekend for me but I did replace the clutch ramp throwout bearing in my Sporty in Saturdayband did a nice 200mi cruise of the natchez trace - no likker was consumed on the ride but that’s done and I am gonna spank the dirty white dog tipple a little before bed.
9C7335F7-B224-4613-A8B7-2C21C079E7D6.jpeg
————
————
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Kirk and Sweeney Reserva. After making a little rum I realized I have never tried an aged commercial rum before. Not that it should be the benchmark, but it's something to compare to.
Plain ole pot rig.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

River Rat wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:04 pm Kirk and Sweeney Reserva. After making a little rum I realized I have never tried an aged commercial rum before. Not that it should be the benchmark, but it's something to compare to.
Give us a review.
I was at a wedding last month & my friend, Father of The Bride, was very proud of having a bottle of Papa Pilar Dark stuck behind the bar.
I didn't want to tell him I'd never heard of it. Roughly the same price as K&S, and being more of a bourbon drinker, Diet Coke was the only sugar free mixer, so it was kind of ----eh :yawn:.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Well, I like the K&S. It's nice and smooth - none of the heads that I've come to expect from most commercial booze. You can definitely tell it's made from molasses, but the flavor doesn't stick around more than a few seconds. It's very light. You taste it while you're drinking it and then it's gone.

My SBB all molasses, which has only been on oak for 3 months, tastes similar but with a much heavier molasses flavor that you taste long after it's gone down the pipe. It would probably be a more fair comparison after mine has aged a little longer.

I'm a real somebody now, this is the first time I've given a thoughtful description of what liquor tastes like to me. 8)
Plain ole pot rig.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

River Rat wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:56 pm I'm a real somebody now, this is the first time I've given a thoughtful description of what liquor tastes like to me. 8)
Thank you sir. You are a Gentleman & A Scholar.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

I am sipping some of my version of booners that the cuts came out funny and ended up 45% so I said what the heck and aged it that way.
My step dad wrote the label and forgot to put the date so I don't know how long it has been aging but it is sure getting good.
I honestly didn't know if it would be drinkable since I aged at 45% and I probably won't do it again but it was interesting anyway.
IMG_20210909_210255018.jpg
IMG_20210909_210421886.jpg
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

2A566ADF-4E31-471A-8DEC-9F98BF7EB660.jpeg
D125989C-031F-4223-98F8-B3B4F636A3A1.jpeg
C20E9374-6651-4972-B21E-FC037E3B719F.jpeg
Sipping on some day 4 bloody butcher HBB sugarhead @150*F on used wine oak (Calistoga Cab). Couple more days and taking notes!

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Pig out Friday 😁
Started with a few GnT’s … It’s our quaff so it’s home brew shop essence ( Still Spirits London dry ) … yeah I know but can’t keep up with production iff’n I made real Gin. :oops:

Followed up with a Margarita. Home grown Limes , home made Cointreau , home brew shop Tequila essence . :shh: ( two out of three aren’t bad )

Red wine with dinner .

Now sipping a Rum :ebiggrin:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:37 am Pig out Friday 😁
yeah I know but can’t keep up with production iff’n I made real Gin. :oops:
Get off your lazy arse and start doing proper Gin...you know where the right recipe is ..and I will send you any botanicals that I can.
Really ? how hard is it ?
Running some SSS through the VM is the hardest part.......the gin takes an hour at most.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:45 am
Yummyrum wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:37 am Pig out Friday 😁
yeah I know but can’t keep up with production iff’n I made real Gin. :oops:
Get off your lazy arse and start doing proper Gin...you know where the right recipe is ..and I will send you any botanicals that I can.
Really ? how hard is it ?
Running some SSS through the VM is the hardest part.......the gin takes an hour at most.
I know , but a bottle of essence is cheaper and less work … and everyone is happy
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:32 am I know , but a bottle of essence is cheaper and less work … and everyone is happy
A friend of mine makes the best gin he has ever tasted using an Airstill, Turbo and essence, but his wife, who has tasted mine, is standing behind him shaking her head and giving him the thumbs down. :D
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:42 pm 2A566ADF-4E31-471A-8DEC-9F98BF7EB660.jpegD125989C-031F-4223-98F8-B3B4F636A3A1.jpegC20E9374-6651-4972-B21E-FC037E3B719F.jpeg

Sipping on some day 4 bloody butcher HBB sugarhead @150*F on used wine oak (Calistoga Cab). Couple more days and taking notes!

Cheers!
-j
4 days in the sous vide bath at 150? I haven't played with using my sous vide to coax a spirit along. How's it working out?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Saw this yesterday on the shelf at the state store & had to give it a try. Glad I did -- it's damn tasty!!! $40 for 750 mL bottle is usually what I consider too pricey, but curiosity got the better of me.

I really like Tullamore Dew which is finished in sherry casks, and I really like rye. So I may have to give this a go when my high-rye CROW bourbon comes off oak spirals. I have some Hungarian oak soaking in sherry that was meant for my next Irish whisky. Looks like they'll be taking a detour!

Duck
image.png
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Had some High West Double Rye last night and I am blown away how smooth it is. Almost question if I'm even drinking alcohol, which I'm a bit torn on as I do like a bit of bite. Runs $32 out here.
rubberduck71 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:28 am Saw this yesterday on the shelf at the state store & had to give it a try. Glad I did -- it's damn tasty!!! $40 for 750 mL bottle is usually what I consider too pricey, but curiosity got the better of me.

I really like Tullamore Dew which is finished in sherry casks, and I really like rye. So I may have to give this a go when my high-rye CROW bourbon comes off oak spirals. I have some Hungarian oak soaking in sherry that was meant for my next Irish whisky. Looks like they'll be taking a detour!

Duck

image.png
I just picked this up on Friday after my wife popped out our 3rd kid. We went to this distillery something like 6 years ago when they didn't have any browns yet, unless my memory is failing me. Had to get some now, I thought it was pretty good too, nice flavor, stands out from the crowd just enough.
jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:37 pm 9DE70BB0-0BA8-49AC-8FC3-05A1E85D34F0.jpeg

Little gift from a friend for a Friday night. Rye’s haven’t been my fave but this one is on point.
I like most things Cedar Ridge puts out, been there a few times, a nice little place, the people are very friendly. Managed to snag a bottle of the single malt scotch they put out and It is excellent, while it comes across as almost a simple drink, not a ton of flavor, doesn't punch you in the face, I find that I'm constantly wishing my glass had more in it, when I get to the end of it.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Sippin on an OVD (Old Vatted Demerara ) rum and coke.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My 2019 attempt at Mezcal using Agave americana. Very flavorsome. Probably unwise to get drunk on it thinking you can go to work tomorrow, but nice if you are only having a shot or two..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I just followed my Mezcal with a shot of my Mezcal de Pechuga, (which was made using my Mezcal), and it is much nicer. I'm not having any more samples tonight :D
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Sipping on some of my CROW bourbon. It just keeps getting better. Pretty soon Im going to have to put a quart or so aside for prosperity or it's going to be all gone.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sampling a liqueur.

Pineapple gin proofed with lemon juice that has had most of the citric acid converted to calcium citrate, which is relatively insoluble, by reacting it with calcium hydroxide, filtering out the precipitated calcium citrate, then concentrated by freeze jacking to 29g/100ml of sugar, giving me a liqueur with about 15g/100ml sugar at 35% abv and a pH of 6.

Very nice.

Worth the effort? Probably not, especially because I'm not a big fan of liqueurs, but it has been educational and a lot of fun. My parents would have liked it, they had a sweet tooth.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I was watching a Fred Minnick youtube Wednesday night. He mentioned Rye whiskey goes very well with Turkey.
I was gifted a bottle of O.H. Ingram Straight Rye.
Their claim to fame is that it's aged in a rickhouse on a barge on the Mississippi River.
(remember it was a gift!)
Only had two things I could mix with. Coke & Fuji Apple flavored water (soda).
Went with the Apple & Rye & it's really good!

Was great with my Thanksgiving meal & made that Tryptophan coma EXTRA special.
O.H.-Ingram-River-Aged-Straight-Rye.png
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

A White Kentuckian; Tater's Kahlua, HBB white dog and a splash of cream. A recipe for messy drunkeness if ever there was one!

Edit to add: Shortly after this post, YouTube recommended the following apposite snippet:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Newtothis »

Just had some whistle pig piggy back rye. I don’t want to like it, but damn it I do.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It's Friday night and this week sucked.
Might be a long night, but at least I know I won't have a shitty hang over.
Some cherrywood finished CROW, and some 13%Rye.
20220610_163514.jpg
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Having my first beer in over a year.
An old favorite of mine, Three Philosophers.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Calumet Farms blend of 14y and 8y bourbons. Really like it.