What is everyone drinking?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: What is everyone drinking?

Post by Bushman »

Drinking single malt scotch store bought while traveling.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Having a nip of honey bear bourbon
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

cranky wrote:Apple brandy :ebiggrin:
BARREL AGED 24 AUG 17 #1 - C.JPG
It's been aging in a well used barrel for about 6 months now and is just starting to come around.
Nice Cranks, how did you have cider to run in February? :moresarcasm:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

apple pie moonshine (even made by moon light) lemoncello and 45% vodka god dayumn im loving this hobby my mrs would be finishing work soon so il be in for the high jump (little ones in bed im responsible for him) lol im still in a functioning state its fiiiiiine :lol:
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

omg
good luck
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

A mandarin liqueur I made in 2009.

It was a bit strong, better with an ice-cube.
With three ice-cubes, actually quite nice!

Geoff
The Baker
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

an "apple pie" variant I made

1 big apple
400ml 80%abv
handful of raisins
cinnimin stick and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, leave 1 month.

made up to 1L at 30%

it goes down scarily easily...... need to keep an eye on intake.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Last night was sipping a couple bourbons I wrote about in Tale of 2 Bourbons http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7449736

Both bourbons are out of the bbl's now and continuing to age in quart jars with a half stick of oak (1x1x2.5"). They are still getting better, darker, more caramel and vanilla from the small sticks. The new bbl one is mellowing out but still has that fresh wood oak hit, the other is just pure caramel. Both good but prefer the used wood, really caramelly vanilla sweet and smooth without that oak bite. Windy City prefers the old wood oak bourbon also, his comments are in that thread above.

Old bbl on right
IMG_20171001_19436.jpg
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Bushman wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:A black IPA.
Bushman wrote:... homemade Carmel cordial.
You know what I would like to see? A sub forum created, dedicated to all the cordials and liquors you can make from nuetrals. A place to find the grand marnier recipie, Kalua, fire piss, etc. A cordial section. Would be nice in one place.
I like the idea as I have made a lot of very good liqueurs and love my Grand Marnier Recipe.
OK I'm a NOOB!
But a suggestion would be to have separate section for Recipes only, moving the sections dealing with recipes there.
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

Some year old wheated bourbon and a batch of rum that's been oaking for two months, nice smooth with good molasses flavor
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

This is probably a sin to admit on this forum but Lucille IPA.... I did chase it with sips from a pint of blueberry pantie dropper made with home picked blueberries though
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Had some honey shine I forgot about up on a shelf. Not as good as my first batch, but still pretty tasty!! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

manhatten
matini with makers mark grain bill bourbon
yum yum!!!!!!
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Grog
Novice

Post by Grog »

Some apple pie just made with the last sweet feed run
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

A little bit of SCD's hand grenade honey bear bourbon.
It's damn good, better than my version I'm not too proud to say.
Pretty sure it's in his cuts, one jar more toward heads, one less toward tails.

Thanks for the inspiration, cheers!
image.jpeg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

How old is it MC? Curious on the too much tails comment. I usually only feel that way if I drink it young. Age really mellows them tails. Touch more heads comment is interesting too. Agree that if your cuts are straight hearts you miss that fruit and bit of spank that comes over up front. Its a bit of a paradox that we preach cuts, but then add the qualifier that you cant be straight center hearts cut unless youre making a vodka. Nothin like keepin em cornfused eh :twisted:
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Jimbo wrote:How old is it MC? Curious on the too much tails comment. I usually only feel that way if I drink it young. Age really mellows them tails. Touch more heads comment is interesting too. Agree that if your cuts are straight hearts you miss that fruit and bit of spank that comes over up front. Its a bit of a paradox that we preach cuts, but then add the qualifier that you cant be straight center hearts cut unless youre making a vodka. Nothin like keepin em cornfused eh :twisted:
I'll agree. For white, very tight cuts. For aging, put it away dirty and let the wood sort it out. There are good flavors in the heads and good flavors and ester precursors in the tails. It does take a while for them to develop 'tho.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Jimbo wrote:How old is it MC? Curious on the too much tails comment. I usually only feel that way if I drink it young. Age really mellows them tails. Touch more heads comment is interesting too. Agree that if your cuts are straight hearts you miss that fruit and bit of spank that comes over up front. Its a bit of a paradox that we preach cuts, but then add the qualifier that you cant be straight center hearts cut unless youre making a vodka. Nothin like keepin em cornfused eh :twisted:
It is about 8 months. Spent 6 months in a new Gibbs 5 gallon barrel, 1 month in a stainless keg to mellow, then a month on glass. I have definitly have been trying to recenter my target to add the right late heads, but not anything that will leave that lip burn. Just enough for some nuts on the whiskey.

MCH, I hope you find it well balanced, I have pushed myself to not be too conservative, but still calculated. Glad you are enjoying it :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

Having a few shots of a 45% Rum. This isn't a tried and true recipe and I didn't have any dunder to add to my wash. It is a clean sprite although. I used 10 lbs sugar, 2 quarts of molasses, 3 packs of bread yeast for a 8 gallon wash. I should have hydrated the yeast but I didn't and regretted it later, took about 3 weeks to ferment. I then ran through my 2" vm 2' tall @ 180 proof. collected and blended it all together and tempered it at 90 proof. I know it would have been better had I used previous 25% or so dunder and pot distilled it. With that being said it still turned out pretty smooth and without hangover symptoms other than a little dehydrated in the mornings. Not a bad drop in the end. Cheers!
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

At the moment, a 5yr old homemade Ice Wine. Been drinking ujsm alot lately, as well as trying a few different commercial whiskeys.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

PipeWelder316 wrote:Having a few shots of a 45% Rum. This isn't a tried and true recipe and I didn't have any dunder to add to my wash. It is a clean sprite although. I used 10 lbs sugar, 2 quarts of molasses, 3 packs of bread yeast for a 8 gallon wash. I should have hydrated the yeast but I didn't and regretted it later, took about 3 weeks to ferment. I then ran through my 2" vm 2' tall @ 180 proof. collected and blended it all together and tempered it at 90 proof. I know it would have been better had I used previous 25% or so dunder and pot distilled it. With that being said it still turned out pretty smooth and without hangover symptoms other than a little dehydrated in the mornings. Not a bad drop in the end. Cheers!
I swear it over twice... iF you can remember to drink a big glass of water right before bed as the last thing you drink before bed, you will not have that dehydration feeling. Problem is if I'm at the point that it would make me feel better, I'm too too lit to remember to drink it! :problem:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
PipeWelder316 wrote:Having a few shots of a 45% Rum. This isn't a tried and true recipe and I didn't have any dunder to add to my wash. It is a clean sprite although. I used 10 lbs sugar, 2 quarts of molasses, 3 packs of bread yeast for a 8 gallon wash. I should have hydrated the yeast but I didn't and regretted it later, took about 3 weeks to ferment. I then ran through my 2" vm 2' tall @ 180 proof. collected and blended it all together and tempered it at 90 proof. I know it would have been better had I used previous 25% or so dunder and pot distilled it. With that being said it still turned out pretty smooth and without hangover symptoms other than a little dehydrated in the mornings. Not a bad drop in the end. Cheers!
I swear it over twice... iF you can remember to drink a big glass of water right before bed as the last thing you drink before bed, you will not have that dehydration feeling. Problem is if I'm at the point that it would make me feel better, I'm too too lit to remember to drink it! :problem:
I'll receive that, I have read others saying just that, but I don't usually drink water before bed. I do however wake up in the middle of the night with heartburn and consume a healthy glass of milk.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Just opened a 2009 apricot liqueur. Nice, with the flavour of the kernels I put in it.

Geoff
The Baker
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Having a bit of apple pie I made from some of my neutral. Not too shabby.
Biker Mark
Novice

Post by Biker Mark »

Been doin' NC Hooch's Bourbon recipe in a BOP.
Got some aging on toasted oak for the holidays. Dam fine drink.

And I follow it up with Jimbo's Gumballhead method to get the use out of my spent grains and yeast bed.
Some may think its a sin to do this to an "All Grain", but I blended a little of the 2 for sippin'. Gotta give it :thumbup: :thumbup:
American By Birth, Biker by Choice, Country by the Grace Of God.
_
5 Gallon Appalachian style Pot Still with 2 Thumper's and Worm.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... &mode=view
andyz
Novice

Post by andyz »

just a cup of black coffee right now
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Drinking a sample of the 2 gallon batch of christmas slush I made earlier this evening. Made with 2yr old ujsm, very good.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Don't hate me... I went to a close friend's for bourbon and cigars and he broke out two bottles :

1. George T Stagg Kentucky Straight and
2. Van Winkle 12 year lot b

I have to say, the Van Winkle was great, not for that price point but great. I probably like Woodford Reserve double oaked just as much and it's about $950 cheaper. The George T Stagg however was the best tasting liquor I've ever had, hands down. At 64% I thought it would be a bit rough but it was smooth as silk. I tasted a mildly spicy chocolaty clovy wood. Outstanding! I almost swallowed my tongue when he told me the cost-I'm a cheap bastard.

One we got lit we moved to my Dry Fly wheat whiskey and Colonel E. H. Taylor small batch so as not to waste the good stuff. Cheers my friends. I wish I could have shared a glass with you all.
Attachments
20180201_224103-600x800.jpg
20180201_224041-600x800.jpg
20180201_210503-600x800.jpg
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

No hate Jon. I been wanting to try 3 of those but that kinda money is hard to part with. I've been drinking some eagle rare 10yr and Four Roses single barrel this week. You should try the four roses single barrel, it's about 35-40 a bottle, but it's better than alot of $80 bottles I've had a pour from. My new favourite commercial.
Swedish Pride wrote:
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Antler24 wrote:No hate Jon. I been wanting to try 3 of those but that kinda money is hard to part with. I've been drinking some eagle rare 10yr and Four Roses single barrel this week. You should try the four roses single barrel, it's about 35-40 a bottle, but it's better than alot of $80 bottles I've had a pour from. My new favourite commercial.
I love 4 roses but have never tried the single barrel. I'll look for it. Angels envy and larceny are good ones too.