What is everyone drinking?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

bullpeters
Novice

What is everyone drinking?

Post by bullpeters »

I hope this hasn't been covered but....What is every one drinking?
Me personally, i like small shots of vodka and lots of water afterwards. That's at home and not in social situations, but that's the way i like it! I desperately need to get some stock to age a bit, then i might try for a bit of flavour, lemon, cherry, just a bit.
mick
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What is everyone drinking?

Post by Odin »

Mick,

When I started this hobby, the first I made was brandy. Liked it ... but not too much. I then started making vodka's and loved & love the neutrallity. A keeper for me. From vodka I moved to Dutch Gin and the complexity & taste make it my favourite drink. Recently I have been making UJSSM whiskey. Results are good but still improving. Not at par yet with my gin, but I expect it to be there soon. Still, gin will be my favourite, and the whiskeys for just every now & then.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
bullpeters
Novice

Post by bullpeters »

I would love to hear about your gin procedure/setup/recipe. i am happy to drink good clean ethanol, i like the effect, but i am interested in subtle flavours. I don't want to mix it with "jack daniels in a can", not that i mind if others do. each to there own
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Mick,

Here is a recipe I posted:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 58&t=22455

Only mildly crush the juniper berries. You may crush them completely to get over even more gin flavour, but then you will have to discard the first say 10 ml, because of oils coming over.

Good luck, give it a try and you will have a world class gin. Had it tested by a professional beer & likker tester (yes, they exist) and he scored it 90 out of 100, and was impressed.

Bye, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

bp,

We macerate vodka on lemon, lime or grapefruit. Be careful to keep the pith, white of the rind, out of the jar, but add back a fair amount of zest, skin. Takes about a week or so and strain with coffee filter. Grapefruit is the favorite! one medium size fruit to a ltr.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
jake_leg
Swill Maker

Post by jake_leg »

I am looking forward to when my daughter is 18 and I can sip her malibu and pineapple when nobody is looking. But for now I have my pride.
woogie
Novice

Post by woogie »

Until I start distilling I'll have to rely on my favorites for now.

Spiced rum and cola. There are a lot of good spiced rums on the market and last summer found a couple I really liked. The Kracken and Black Heart are really tasty. As good if not better than everyone's favorite Sailor Jerry's.

Now that fall has rolled around I've been drinking more bourbon (Jim Beam) and rye (Michter's). My current go to mixed drink with those are whiskey sours made from the bourbon and rye with apple cider. Not sure if rye with apple cider has a name but damn it's good.

Of course I'll always have beer. Mmm mmm beer, store bought or home brewed. Last batch of home brew I made was an Irish Draught and damn it was tasty. came out at 4.8% ABV and 159 calories per 12 oz serving. Made 5 gallons of that and have only two bottles left. Not sure if I'll make another batch of home brew soon, hopefully it will be a mash for the still I might be making here shortly.
SotallyTober
Novice

Post by SotallyTober »

Right now I'm having wine with my ramen for nostalgia's sake and thinking carbonated soup sounds like a great invention.

It's cranberry claret, but I'd like to be having Schnapps.

Or at least a nice Riesling.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just added some rum liqueur to my coffee....I am going to name it the fisherman as I can see that it might be a good hot drink while running the kicker out on the back deck of my boat in the winter while out on those cold mornings in the San Juan or Gulf Islands.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

A cup of espresso with a shot of bluegrass :mrgreen:
I do all my own stunts
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

And for me right now ... a cup of coffee. Just back from 1 1,400 kilometers car trip from Hungary. Did it in 12 hours. Not bad! Record time of 10 1/2 hours is not going to be broken again, though. Kids in the back and so ...

Odin.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

tastes of my various rums that i have been bottling lately - on the rocks at around 45%
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Sitting here sippin some Oaked All Bran on the Rocks. Sure beats that Crown black label I had on the rocks Sunday. Wifes bosses birthday present. :roll: I'm not to the point of gifting aged product yet. So its all mine. :mrgreen:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
tomgndallas
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tomgndallas »

been sipping a neutral flavred with a little french oak, madagascar vanilla and a kona bean...month old, not bad for a first try. also a vodka with vanilla, pretty good too. that stays in the freezer and i pop one shot dow the hatch when i come home from work..puts me in a great frame of mind.

cheers friends
tomgndallas
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tomgndallas »

Odin wrote:And for me right now ... a cup of coffee. Just back from 1 1,400 kilometers car trip from Hungary. Did it in 12 hours. Not bad! Record time of 10 1/2 hours is not going to be broken again, though. Kids in the back and so ...

Odin.
off topic - wow Odin, lots of trvel Brother!. i have a week long busoness trip myself, only a 5 hour drive though, thinking of bringing my vodka with me :ebiggrin:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just about to pour myself and my better half a green fairy aka absinthe!
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilly »

6 to 9 months ago I made a bunch of batches of DWWG. Went to the trouble of making a gin basket for my pot still column. Put peated barley in basket and did a spirit run. The basket kinda slowed the run down, had too much gooey peated barley in it. The product showed no peat flavor, I was very disappointed to say the least. Just opened a bottle of it last night and wow, peated scotch when it was diluted down to 45%. Very pleased, can not figure out why the peat flavor was undetectable at first but wow, got to try this again soon.

That and a blend of AB/UJSSM are the house favorites.

cheers
stilly
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

I'm going to get through with this project stage about 10pm, go home and have a snifter of my rum (made with molasses, brown sugar and honey). Nothing quite like it on a cold (for Texas) night.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
usefull_drunk
Novice

Post by usefull_drunk »

Man, I was hoping there was a topic like this...

Just had some wisdom teeth pulled a few days ago and finally feel comfortable enough to drink. Rum and pepsi (all out of coke). I've been aging it in an white oak cask (3 liter) since Dec 2nd diluted at 55% ABV, just diluted it last night down to 40% since everyone was complaining about it being too strong. Recipe is similar to someone above, 2lbs brown sugar per gallon and 1 cup molasses 1 cup of honey per 10 gallon.

Personally, I liked it at 55%, it had a real oakyness to it that let you know it was in there. That's not to say diluting it hurt at all. I had a lot of run off from diluting it that I'm saving to re-up the cask as I drink. Planning on aging it further at the current ABV to see what comes out in time. :D

Right now im fermenting a modified ujssm, but I'll probably need to buy myself a new cask for it.
BigPa
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigPa »

Sweetfeed recipe and diet citrus drop.....
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Stilly wrote:6 to 9 months ago I made a bunch of batches of DWWG. Went to the trouble of making a gin basket for my pot still column. Put peated barley in basket and did a spirit run. The basket kinda slowed the run down, had too much gooey peated barley in it. The product showed no peat flavor, I was very disappointed to say the least. Just opened a bottle of it last night and wow, peated scotch when it was diluted down to 45%. Very pleased, can not figure out why the peat flavor was undetectable at first but wow, got to try this again soon.

That and a blend of AB/UJSSM are the house favorites.

cheers
stilly
I know right??? Isn't that what makes this hobby so crazy......Its always a suprise........Time is like magic with this hobby aye???
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Just sipping my usual. A martini, 3 oz. All Bran vodka, 1/2 oz. vermouth, 1 tsp olive brine, shake or stir with ice and serve up with an olive in a proper martini glass.

Earlier today I sampled some brandy made from Concord grape concentrate that has been aging for about three months and it is getting pretty damned good.
Braz
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Now that my orange infused mango /star fruit brandy is almost gone,,,,,,,I am nearly brought to tears as it gets better and better every time I crack the bottle.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

About two weeks ago I put up some Apple Pie for the holidays, excited to see how she turns out!
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

A super-chocolate version of Punkins Muck - mmmmmmm :clap:

Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

I couldn't wait any longer... I just had to taste my Scotch...

Recap: Last year I done an All-Grain barley malt where the malt had been peat smoked in a home made smoker, I did not roast the malted barley further, only peat smoked, as I needed the enzymatic properties that the DP afforded me to convert and roasting the grains would have lowered the properties... No sugar or colourings were used in this process. I only made 10L as a small experiment, any volume smaller than that would have been futile... It was over oaked for 8 weeks, with ¼ of a vanilla pod. then, when the oak and pod were removed, supposedly, should have been left for 3 years to mature/age...

I got home today after Xmas shopping with Mrs Sam and caught a glance of the ageing 10L brown carboy (dated 6th - Dec - 2010) as I prepared to keg my American IPA clone (beer). So, I decided to steal a snifter from the mysterious carboy with my home made copper wine/whisky thief. What a friggin welcome I received as I took a sniff from the 120 proof in my glass. I cant really describe it. I diluted the bounty to 80 proof and had a sip. Smooth, earthy, but young... Definite signs of maturing out to a full bodied malted Scotch Whisky, so good in fact, I will be repeating the process in the New Year to try and get a 30L oak barrel Santa is bringing me, filled to mature and will include a full blow by blow. We are having a few friends over for Xmas and one of them is a real whisky nose, so it will be interesting to hear his views... I'll keep you all posted...

Tonight, my jar is filled with UJSSM and a dash of Ginger Ale.... Mmmmmm... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
stillenand chillen
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillenand chillen »

chillen and I are drinken boozy coffee and wrapping christmas presents and listening to Lynyrd Skynard Christmas songs. Merry Christmas to you all and have a boozy new year! :wave:
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just made up a batch of Irish Creme and used it to pour my wife and I a mudslide while wrapping gifts. Sure makes the jobs more enjoyable :thumbup:
stillenand chillen
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillenand chillen »

frozenthunderbolt wrote:A super-chocolate version of Punkins Muck - mmmmmmm :clap:

would you mind sharing that recipe with us pleeeeeeaze :ebiggrin:
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

stillenand chillen wrote:
frozenthunderbolt wrote:A super-chocolate version of Punkins Muck - mmmmmmm :clap:

would you mind sharing that recipe with us pleeeeeeaze :ebiggrin:
16 squares dark chocolate melt into 500ml whole cream in a Bain Marie, remove from heat and allow to cool somewhat.
In a blender whip 3 farm eggs to a foam then add a 395gm can of sweetened condensed milk.
Add the chocolate cream mix slowly to the blender then finally add 2 cups of DWWGW 45% + a generous splash of vanilla essence.
Add 1 tsp instant coffee and 1 drop almond essence, 1 table spoon muscavardo sugar.
Blitz and bottle.
Keep in the fridge