commercial drink

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Brad Gee
Site Donor
Site Donor

commercial drink

Post by Brad Gee »

Curious to know if anyone is familiar with Kraken dark spiced rum. its gorgeous! ... little too nice infact with a higher than the average joe price tag.

Wondering if anyone knows of a recipie which yields a similar product. If i could still my own kraken id go swimming in it. well, not really........ would be a waste of the stuff but the thoughts nice :mrgreen:
Washashore
Distiller

Re: commercial drink

Post by Washashore »

I've got a couple of bottles kicking around (given to me as gifts). It's a good dark rum...but I like the bottles more than anything.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Brad Gee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brad Gee »

with the looped handles :esmile: I had 6 bottles on the side which to look at, looked wrong so i recycled them.. this was before getting the notion of distilling my own!!!!!!! gutted i threw them. have one now.
Sloanick
Novice

Post by Sloanick »

I have a bunch saved and I too would like to try to produce something much like it.. but i guess no one has recipes?
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

It just tastes like rum that has been soaked in a few cloves and back sweetened with molasses to me. I haven't tried to make it as I don't like the stuff but it shouldn't be to hard to replicate.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

+1 on RD. I had a friend recommend it to me. So I bought a bottle. It was not my cup of tea. Mater of fact I gave it away. Before I started this hobby. The only way I could describe it was. It's to dark for me.

Make some rum. And start experimenting. I bet you would find something you like better. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
pistachio_nut
Swill Maker

Post by pistachio_nut »

I bought a bottle as a part of educating my palate before getting started on a series of Pugirums. I thought it was OK. Nothing amazing.

Pyrat is pretty damn good for $25/fifth.

I'm hoping Pugirum is better than Pyrat.
Not typically one to floss
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

rubber duck wrote:It just tastes like rum that has been soaked in a few cloves and back sweetened with molasses to me. I haven't tried to make it as I don't like the stuff but it shouldn't be to hard to replicate.
Kinda like over spiced captain morgan here as well, but I love the double handled bottles.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
Stew8
Bootlegger

Post by Stew8 »

It started off with bargain over ripe bananas...

2kg/4.5lb of bananas sliced including the peel
2kg/4.5lb molasses sugar
1kg/2.25lb white sugar
1kg/2.25lb raisins
1 tablespoon of marmite (the yeast nutrient)
1 tablespoon of bread yeast

Added bananas to water and raised temp to enzyme temp 65c/150f (I had to go out for a couple of hours) added sugar, marmite and raisins and boiled for 5 minutes or so.
Added to a fermenting bucket added cold water to fill to about 25l/6.6us gal. and ended up with an OG of 1060. It had a thick cap I stirred daily. (Used a spoon and had not considered a paint stirrer)
Fermented out in about a week.

Ended up with 1 litre/quart of hearts at about 80%, the banana is just there.

Having been give a miniature bottle of Kraken, I have tried to make something. similar.

I used taters kahlua’s recipe, in tried and true, as the basis of this recipe:
You’ll need to adjust this ratio of water to get your desired %ABV/proof.
If you’re trying this out, make the molasses, vanilla and water and then mix shot glass quantities varying the amount of molasses and water to get the sweetness. We tried it straight and then in it’s natural habitat: with coke

100g of molasses in 500 ml/1 pint of water
https://groceries.asda.com/product/brow ... 0002231112
Teaspoon of vanilla extract
Heat but don’t boil for about 5 mins to dissolve the molasses
Add 500ml/1 pint of 80% rum

Voila! 1 litre/quart of a sort of Kraken to 40%/80 proof.