Message in a bottle: the story continues!

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Message in a bottle: the story continues!

Post by Odin »

What story? What story, say you? I beg your pardon? Don't remember I got some of Big R's stack? And it turned out he re-used bottles Mr. P. gave him? That story is what I am talking about.

In that tread, I sugested we should re-use those bottles again. Send them of to another member with two aims (maybe three, let's see where this post ends up): to enjoy a fellow distiller's drink. And to ship some of your finest to someone else. And post about it.

I guess I did an extensive review on the content of the bottles. Now it is time to make work of the second promise. That is: I will be sending one of the bottles to Wacabi (the biggest one of the two, don't worry). Filled with my old style geneva. Hope you like it, W! The other bottle I will ship to Ro (we had some talks about Palinca/Palinka and almost met during my holidays). It will hold my first serious attempt at making a fruit brandy. Okay, I have done a few before, but to be honest: my brandy / Cognac was very good, but all the other stuff couldn't really impress my family in law (who consider themselves palinka lovers). Now that palinka of mine aint done yet. Not by far. But the way I want to go is interesting. Thanks to Big R's thinking. Not using fresh fruit or fresh fruit juice, but using concentrated use. More taste, more sugars? Let's find out. In another tread.

Oh, here is a picture of the bottle heading for the states ...

Odin.
Attachments
Odin's Geneva in Mr. P's bottle.
Odin's Geneva in Mr. P's bottle.
wacabi 9.jpg (4.56 KiB) Viewed 8303 times
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Message in a bottle: the story continues!

Post by Richard7 »

I would like to hear about this bottles travels. It would be really cool if it had a journal to go with it. Comments on the contents and the stories about what was going on when it was enjoyed. :thumbup:
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Saved to me "Bookmarks" lets see where she goes...Richard, I like the thought of a journal to go along with the "bottle", I will be placing a journal along with it...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I like the journal idea. Nice to see it on the move. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Mr P, since u started this, and Big R carried it on, Sir Odin is passing it along, what are the rules? What is the game?

Sounds like #1, make yer best, put in bottle and pass it along.
#2 also, there where atleast two bottles. Are we sending them in different directions? To different members? I like that idea, that way if something happened to one, the other would keep going.
#3 I like the idea of a journal along with the a bottle.

Anything else? Mr P? Big R? Sir Odin?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I think your summary has it all, Wacabi! I really like the idea of that journal.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

#4 don't except it if you don't want to pass it on.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

+1!

And the journal should be updated for Big R's and Mr. P's drinks!

Odin.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Ugh you can leave mine off. I know it was crap. :lol:

I was gifted a whiskey gift set. In it was a flask and a journal. The pages of the journal are layer out ok. Mite. Use it as a example. I will post a pic of it tomorrow.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Its a nice idea guys and don't want to rain on the parade, BUT.
Its a matter of time before the customs officials throw it into the sin bin IMO.
I have sent small samples to a few of the members here, some have received it and some not.

I Do hope it works for you though, but if it gets opened, they will either tax or destroy. :(

Just my 2 cents... :ewink:

ps: You could describe the package as wine when it is declared for customs, I reckon it would help.
pps: I am speaking about the UK borders, which are very very strick. So hope everything works out OK..
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Yea Sam, I've heard about the UK customs. When sending the package to Odin, I asked the postmaster about any problems I might have. He said some thing like, "well, as long as it doesn't go through English customs, you should be alright. They are very strict". So even our little postmasters way out here in the Ozarks are aware of the strictness of UK customs...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

In sending it in a bottle that actually contained booz', customs may think it is just a present and not worth the few bucks of tax. I send a few bottles around. So far without problems. But maybe the journal is a bit of a catch ... I mean, just look into it and you know it's about making likker, right?

Maybe this tread should be the journal?

Odin.
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

Good thinking Odin, that way every one can read it. :clap:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Yes the thread mite be the best choice. And in the box an nice birthday card. :lol:
Here are some crappy pics of the journal I have. I kinda like how its layed out. This could be formatted to the posts here too.
IMAG1741-1.jpg
IMAG1742-1.jpg
IMAG1742-1.jpg (10.48 KiB) Viewed 7710 times
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

If a paper journal was used that one would be so cool! I like the way it is laid out. But like mentioned before, that would make it a dead giveaway that it was homemade booze if officials got a hold of it :( ......Its a shame we have to hide our hobby when we strive so hard to DO IT RIGHT.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

I'd like it to be electronic so we can all enjoy the tasting notes of what's going around. The bottle(and contents) is the material gift but, since likely not everyone will get a chance to add to the story, the journal can be enjoyed by the entire community. Great idea btw, I can hear Sting singing the mood music as this bottle makes it's way around the globe.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Okay, message in a bottle on its way to Wacabi! With some delay, for which I sincerely offer my deepest apologies. Old styler genever, some 375 mls. With lots of herbs and juniper there. No Juniperus Virginiana, but common juniper. I put in a small letter as well. Telling you I am sending you a bottle of brandy, because a brandy bottle it is.

It is actually a brandy bottle (XO Brandy) Mr. P. gave to Big R, and Big R then sent to me. So far the bottle went from ... where you livin' Mr. P? ... to Kentucky to The Netherlands and now it is of to AR, USA!

I hope you will like my drink, Wacabi. Experience learns it will take about 10 days before it arrives (if it arrives at all, off course). I would like to suggest you give it a three days rest to settle. Maybe opening the cap once or twice. At room temp, preferably in the room you want to drink it in.

Curious to find out where you will be shipping that bottle to next, W!

Odin.
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

Hi folks, I like the idea of the bottle being passed around but it may be a good idea to keep the contents under 45percent ABV, just in case some customs bod says its hazardous cargo, keep it safe.
Cheers
Stainless
Luceo Non Uro
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I think my old styler is like 43% ...

Odin.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Waahhooo!!! Looking forward to it Sir Odin!!! I'll let you know when it arrives.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Well Fellas, it finally made it here to tha good ol Ozarks... I'll have to wait a few days to sample. Torment, pure torment... of course, good things come to those who wait...
I have someone in mind to send the "bottle" to, not sure though how it will work out.

It may be a little bit afore I send it on, I really don't have anything special stocked to fill "The Bottle"and with... Yea, I got a little bit of what Me an the Mrs commonly drink, but we're common folk. That bottle has had some dandy fine sip in er. I kinda feel like I need to make something special to pass it along with... it may be a few weeks afore I pass it along, but I promise to do my best an pass it along as quick as I can...
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

wacabi1 wrote: I'll have to wait a few days to sample. Torment, pure torment... of course, good things come to those who wait...

Is that per Odins instructions, or are you just teasing us?!!

but I promise to do my best an pass it along as quick as I can...

But you need to give us a report before you send it out again.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Yes, per Sir Odin, it should rest a couple days...

I certainly will pass on a report. Although I don't have the expert nose of some here, I'll do my best to give an honest opinion...
68MUDSTUD
Novice

Post by 68MUDSTUD »

First off, I know, join date/post count, blah blah blah.

This is awesome. I would love to participate with you guys, but I feel my product is inferior to 90% of people on here. Sure, it gets me drunk, I havent yet found the product I make to be better than store-bought though. Well, there WAS a super badass brandy that I made once upon a time, but I shall stick to reading for now.

Just wanted to say, again, this is awesome and I will be following.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Glad it arrived in one piece!

Odin.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

68MUDSTUD wrote:First off, I know, join date/post count, blah blah blah.

This is awesome. I would love to participate with you guys, but I feel my product is inferior to 90% of people on here. Sure, it gets me drunk, I havent yet found the product I make to be better than store-bought though. Well, there WAS a super badass brandy that I made once upon a time, but I shall stick to reading for now.

Just wanted to say, again, this is awesome and I will be following.
Stick around, hang in there, learn, help others, maybe it will get to ya one of these days...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Wacabi, you might want to turn the screw on top loose once or twice to equalize for pressure. It has been in an airplane and pressure differences as well as temp differences hugely vary the way tasty oils are absorbed/retained in the likker.

Curious to find out what you think of my geneva! When are you planning to start tasting?

Odin.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Well, today's the big day fellas!!! The day I finally get to sample Sir Odin's ol style genever!!! Whaaooo!!! And its Super Bowl Sunday ta Boot!!!

I'll keep ya posted as to when the actual time comes. Maybe I'll do a live action, play by play account... Its early yet, haven't even had me breakfast. But I tell ya, I woke up as excited as a fat girl going to the prom, jes thinkin about it...
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

wacabi1 wrote: Its early yet, haven't even had me breakfast. But I tell ya, I woke up as excited as a fat girl going to the prom, jes thinkin about it...
I'm having a cup of breakfast right now!!! :ebiggrin:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

It's a bit later here already. Half past five. Mss just started baking a cheese cake. For after dinner.

Tuned in, W! Hope you llike the genever!

Odin.