Anyone ever drink what's leftover in your still?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Whitecap72
Novice

Anyone ever drink what's leftover in your still?

Post by Whitecap72 »

So I just distilled the cornflakes whiskey recipe. Really good tasting. I added 5lbs of honey to the mix. After distilling I tasted the mash that was left in the still, it was really sweet. Anyone ever save, and chill the leftover mash to drink?
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anyone ever drink what's leftover in your still?

Post by hpby98 »

Well
As you’ve taken out he ethanol what’s left would be great for giving you a whollop of a headache I’d imagine...
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

hpby98 wrote:Well
As you’ve taken out he ethanol what’s left would be great for giving you a whollop of a headache I’d imagine...
I would think the headaches left in the heads and tails but the fear of heart burn from the acidic backset and would move me away.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

No, I have enough alcohol without drinking the backset. Probably taste a spoonful just for references.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

if your stillage is sweet, you should work on your FG numbers. there should not be any sugar left in it.

oh yeah.... and :sick: is how my face would look drinking 3.5ph acid bath.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

HDNB wrote:if your stillage is sweet, you should work on your FG numbers. there should not be any sugar left in it.

+1 on that - if you have that sweetness left - you ran it too soon - did you not taste it first ? :(

ALWAYS taste it before you run it ! - Irrespective of hydrometer readings, she should be "Bitter" - else she is not done !
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I use it to cook corn
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

People drink and eat a whole lot of stuff that may be concidered OK by some and down right discusting by others .
Coka cola which some mix their drinks with is quite acidic as is the squeezed Lime juice I put in my Margoritas .

Me , I couldn't be bothered drinking backset .... the thought of it puts me off .....but if its up your ally then do what you like . I do kinda get what you mean though . Rum backset smells absolutely delicious and if it wasn't so bitter I might be curiously tempted . ..... but no .
The sweetness as others have mentioned is an indication that you did not finish the fermentation ..... or it stalled prematurely .

Drinking backset won't get you remotely drunk ... especially if you stripped it right down , you'd be lucky if it had 1% abv
So perhaps a cool refreshing be erage or a mixer . But if you are going to mix you backset with your distillate , why not just drink the fermented Wash :econfused:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Does no one remember what it tastes like when you take the backset from ujssm, melt the sugar in it for the next run, and taste it? It's wonderful.

Now, it's not my style to drink such things, but there was a guy here who used to take, just a little, sugared back set as a mixer add some uj, and pour it on ice. His wife loved it.

Just a thought.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

The best use for boiling hot stillage is for cooking corn.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

Whitecap72 wrote:So I just distilled the cornflakes whiskey recipe. Really good tasting. I added 5lbs of honey to the mix. After distilling I tasted the mash that was left in the still, it was really sweet. Anyone ever save, and chill the leftover mash to drink?
which mix ?

you saying you added 5lbs honey, was that after the fermentation ended or before it started, ?
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

I took the the original recipe, did the calcs for a 15 gallon batch. I used 4.5lbs of cornflakes, 5 lbs honey, 20 lbs cane sugar, and a jar of molasses. It fermented for 15 days in a 90 degree controlled environment. The head dropped in the fermenter, no more yeast action. I had no idea that it should taste bitter when done. The end product tastes really good though. I gallon of 110, a gallon of 85, and the third gallon I didn't proof as I'll just add it to the still with the next finished mash.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Lol, whatever floats your boat I suppose :)