Effects of different types of alcohol

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Effects of different types of alcohol

Post by Hilltop »

I attempted to start a thread about this awhile back but due to some drunken posting " from yours truly" it went to shit.

What I'm getting at is that different types of alcohol from different grains or sugars have different effects. I'm looking for some knowledgeable discussion on this and no I'm not posting drunk this time.

Ok, for starters I noticed years ago Rum goes straight to my head and makes my face red and I assume due to the sugar added gives me one hell of a headache.

Cannabis for instance, depending on variety gives different types of " buzz"

Can the same be said for different types of alcohol? Yeah I know many will say it is the same molecule and therefore the same buzz.

I bet to differ. I notice after making some all grain Rice that it doesn't take much even when I tempered it to 90 proof.

All grain Corn I can drink comfortably at 120 proof. The drunk may be similar but the effect time at least to me is way different. Rice hits me fast, i can feel it on one shot. Corn takes at least two at the same proof.

Rice reminds me of Rum. Has there ever been any type of scientific study on this? Anything with sugar seems to hit me quicker, even at the same proof as all grain. Sugar always gives me a headache and hangover. I have seen some post that all grain gives them more of a headache than sugar.

If different types of cannabis gives a different buzz is it too far fetched to assume different types of grain or sugar alcohol does the same? Sounds crazy i know, but I learned years ago that two types of liqueur, rum and tequila make me do stupid shit, fight guys twice my size and howl at the moon!

I can drink whisky with ease, and be a lovable fellow that would give you the shirt off his back. Same goes for vodka, wine or beer with me. Give me half a bottle of rum at the same proof as that whisky and watch out. I want to fight, fuck and take names to fight and fuck tomorrow.

Any science out there on this? I really, really like the taste of this 80 pounds rice, 15 pounds wheat and 15 pounds of oats. But it seems to hit me like rum, fast and quick at 90 proof. I'm worried my new favorite drink " I've never drank any rice liqueur before now" will lead to black eyes, pregnant women and fines. Lol!

Tater please indulge me, I swear I'm stone cold sober this time and will leave international bankers out of the equation. Rolmao!!!
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
butterpants
Swill Maker

Re: Effects of different types of alcohol

Post by butterpants »

It's the proportions of ethanol with sugars, lighter alcohols (methanol CH3OH) and fusel alcohols. There isn't a difference in the ethanol per se derived from different carbon (starch or sugar, glucose C6H12O6) sources because it eventually makes CO2 and ethanol (C2H6O). It's just ratios of it all....

What I also think comes into play is the psychology of consumption.... place, time, scenario. Someone who likes to party hard with his bros and says Tequila makes him angry yet loves to sit down and drink a bottle of Rose with his wife and acts appropriately is 2 things (open to psychological suggestion and possibly an idiot).

For "hangover" variables I believe there's a certain amount of genetic variation in liver production of alcohol dehydrogenase and current hydration levels that would also come into play.

But what do I know, I've pooped my pants before as a grown adult.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I know what you mean Hilltop - Talking commercial, I'm fine on Scotch, bourbon, or rum, but give me "Irish" and I'm a bugger ! as on Gin as well - "Brandy" - I'm about half way !

I made some potato wine ONCE ! - SPlitting headache and now I won't have a potato anywhere near a wash - even though I've never distilled one! - I wonder if your "Rice" is like my "Potato wine" - although I made a rice based wine once and it was lovely !

I can't really answer your question - sorry - but I do think different drinks affect us in different ways, for some odd reason !

[Edit - Oddly - I'm fine on my own "Gin" as well - just "Commercial" is suspect ! ]
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

Like butterpants says I think it’s a combination of what goes into the drink along with the ethanol. Rum has flavors from compounds as does whiskey and those have consequences. Poor quality plays a big factor as does sugar added and dehydration. Garbage in garbage out. The good stuff doesn’t give me a hangover unless I am dehydrated. Bad Irish whiskey or Canadian hits me the worst.
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

butterpants wrote:...But what do I know, I've pooped my pants before as a grown adult.
Pretty sure that was not butter in your pants.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

steelmb wrote:
butterpants wrote:...But what do I know, I've pooped my pants before as a grown adult.
Pretty sure that was not butter in your pants.
Twas slippery tho
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I always thought it was the congeners...the definition says they give different "physiological effects." My kryptonite is Brandy...I just have to avoid it. No other drink affects me the way brandy/cognac does, not a good reaction AT ALL!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

There's a short article attached in this thread that may or may not give you some answers to your wonderings.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70080
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

WIski wrote:There's a short article attached in this thread that may or may not give you some answers to your wonderings.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70080
My apologies Wiski, I did not see your thread. Interesting article. I've read up on it enough to believe that nobody really knows. I just see a bunch of guessing related to different chemicals and the different alcohols produced when distilling.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
HighSpirits
Novice

Post by HighSpirits »

Speaking strictly from a scientific standpoint, cannabis varieties cause different effects due to two things - cannabinoid profile, and terpene profile. there are hundreds of cannabinoids in cannabis, one of which has become the most famous (i'm sure you all know it) but many others are just now being studied. CBG is the latest to turn heads, previously it was CBD. THC also has hundreds of different forms, from an inactive acid all the way to delta 8 and delta 9 variations. Cannabis is a living organism, and like people, genetic variation between the seeds is huge. One strain may have huge amounts of THCV while another has huge amounts of CBN.

In contrast, Ethanol is ethanol... there is no delta 8 ethanol, or any other forms. It has two carbon chains hence the Eth- prefix. If it had one carbon chain, it would be methanol and if it had three it would be propanol.

I would speculate that any variance in effect between the liquors is caused solely by metabolism. vodka is said to hit quicker because it is pure ethanol with no carbohydrates slowing the digestion. Rum has a heavy amount of carbohydrates, so the hypothesis is that the body slows metabolism to chew up the carbs processing the liquor slower as a result.

I dunno, I think there is more influence from environment than carb content... If I had a drink after my team won the World Cup Final, I would be giddy and losing my mind. If I had a drink at a work event, I'd be reserved and more composed. At a funeral... well lets not go there lol.

Tequilas are notorious for hangovers as the majority of their flavor comes from the heads, which contain a lot of nasty (but tasty) compounds. I don't think its wild to think there may be more chemical variance at play as a result, but for the most part the effects are so close together its nothing like the variance in cannabis, IMO.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

the effect of whiskey is that I get handsome and funny... to me anyways, my wife begs to differ
Don't be a dick
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Swedish Pride wrote:the effect of whiskey is that I get handsome and funny... to me anyways, my wife begs to differ
Give her one as well?

Geoff
The Baker
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

she prefers prusecco, prusitto,.... bubbly white wine, I'm not able to make that as of yet
Don't be a dick
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Swedish Pride wrote:the effect of whiskey is that I get handsome and funny... to me anyways, my wife begs to differ
Well you are a good looking Irish rooster.... :lolno: :lolno:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....