What do you keep "The Good Stuff" in?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

What do you keep "The Good Stuff" in?

Post by OtisT »

What do you pour "The Good Stuff" out of? If you have a custom diamond encrusted vessel for serving yourself of just your best of friends, please do share a pic here.

Recently I saw two movies that both had characters who had a special bottle for "The Good Stuff" for themselves. (The good Actor in GOT, and the Bartender in Silverado.) The coincidence was too much so I had to make something for myself to hold what I consider my good stuff. I looked through my supply of craft stuff and made this out of an empty scotch bottle.
Bottle for "The Good Stuff"
Bottle for "The Good Stuff"
Right now, this is half full of my best spirit to date, my Honey Bear Bourbon. Stop by for a drop. :-)

Made from a Scotch Bottle, Masking Tape, Pigments, waterproof Mod Podge (craft glue). The exterior will potentially soften with alcohol, so I have to wipe up any spill over. The cork top is hand turned by a friend of mine.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What do you keep "The Good Stuff" in?

Post by fizzix »

Someone here hipped me to these Aldi's French lemonade bottles. About $2.49, and the lemonade is exceptionally good!
Wish I'd bought more before they ran out. Filled only for parties and get togethers so as not to infuse the rubber seal.
aldi's.jpg
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I may warn you about the rubbers: even the vapour of the 40 % alcohol can soften them! As I found out by experience. :oops: :thumbdown:

Nice bottle Otis! Looks like solid wood! :clap:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

in the ageing jar or my belly
Don't be a dick
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I know those bottles and the seal is not rubber but some sort of plastic, I wouldn't be keen to use them for spirits myself.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

I have a bunch of 1 liter wine jugs, look like the 1 gallon jugs you stick your finger through the hole & hold the jug on your arm/shoulder, & drink from the bottle!

-hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

The “good stuff”....here ya’ go:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Liked the corn cob stopper, still_stirrin.

Got lots of port crocks (with the idea of putting my bulk port in them) they hold around a normal bottle (Americans would maybe say a fifth).
Sometimes find them at a yard sale or charity shop. But I found my first two litre one the other day, five dollars.
Got a few crocks without handles, maybe three or four litres, more suitable for spirits...
Got lots of used spirit bottles that I have washed and cleaned off the labels, including a lot of two or three litre bottles. Seventeen three litre Jack Daniels. From the local publican over a year or so.
I would really love some badmotivator 'barrel' lids (to set the 'barrels' up myself) but as far as I know he only makes them available in America as yet.

Geoff
The Baker
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

My wife gave it to me for Christmas. [img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201806 ... 8043dc.jpg[/img]

Its for my Evil Juice
Always impatient. But learning.
Ferrum
Novice

Post by Ferrum »

[quote="fizzix"]Someone here hipped me to these Aldi's French lemonade bottles. About $2.49, and the lemonade is exceptionally good!
Wish I'd bought more before they ran out. Filled only for parties and get togethers so as not to infuse the rubber seal.

Ikea sells this type of bottles here at about 1.30 euros for a litre. They also have 1/2 litre.

Not sure about the rubber but all commercial licor bottles that don't use natural cork seem to have a plastic seal.