Cuban rum?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cuban rum?

Post by MtRainier »

I’m going to Canada in a few weeks and Will try out some Cuban rum which isn’t available in the US.

Does anyone here have recommendations for a good one? The main one I’d try would be the Cuban Havana Club, but even that has a bunch of variations. I’d be interested in a good sipping rum, not to flavor a coke.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cuban rum?

Post by Expat »

My favorite is the Havana club dark 7 Yo

But for sipping you might go with the more expensive, Havana Club Selección de Maestros.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by MtRainier »

Thanks. I'll look for both of those.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Oz has never had a Cuban embargo so we are familiar with there products and the Havana Club range is well known and available in even the smallest one horse town bottle shop. Havana Club Especial is not bad for sipping but of the "affordable" range 15 year old gran reserva is a stand out. Another brand that has some good ones is Santiago de Cuba
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Thanks. I'll watch out for the Especial and gran reserva.
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Be cautious what you are buying, there is a "Havana Club" rum made in Puerto Rico (sold in the US), I have seen both travelling a lot. Be sure to check the label.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i'll second the Havana club dark 7 Yo

me mums brought me a crock from the home office years ago. it was thoroughly enjoyed.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I ended up with 4 bottles of the 7 year old Cuban Havana Club. I looked at a few LCBO stores and they were all out of the Maestros, so the 7yo was the only choice. At Duty Free in Niagara Falls, Ontario it was around $21, which was pretty good and US customs didn't charge me import when I declared it after walking across the Rainbow Bridge.

When I got home I bought a bottle of the Havana Club made in Puerto Rico to compare. I have to say, I like the Cuban stuff much better. It's raisiny and deep in flavor.

The aged dark Havana Club from Puerto Rico doesn't have an age statement, but the prominent flavor at least to my tongue, unfortunately, is green olives. Seriously it's almost like a dirty martini.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Imho There are non.
All the good ones don't mâke IT here to Canada
Santiago is the best but not available.
But what is the seven year is not bad.
That is Habana club i mean
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed