How do you stop yourself from drinking your stash too early?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

How do you stop yourself from drinking your stash too early?

Post by Beerbrewer »

I'm having a problem with this currently, and will probably give in shortly, I managed to make up a fair few bottles of Odin's Whiskey and Gin but now my gimlet eye has turned to a half litre bottle that I may (read will) get into shortly.

My initial plan was to only drink something when I had made up another batch (next year as I distil between April and September) but a cash shortfall and a ready bottle of whiskey I'm probably going to have to 'test' what I made in July, just too see how it's going.

Any suggestions as how I can stop myself with the rest of my bottles? And yes I know they will be better in a years time but I have no cash, homebrew is not ready yet and it's a Saturday night.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How do you stop yourself from drinking your stash too ea

Post by Swedish Pride »

drink it all now.
get start making big batches in april, make one to be drank white and one to be oaked.
distilling more than you drink can be a challenge, you just have to distill more or drink less:)
Don't be a dick
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Beerbrewer wrote: ......Any suggestions as how I can stop myself with the rest of my bottles? And yes I know they will be better in a years time but I have no cash, homebrew is not ready yet and it's a Saturday night.
Obviously a problem requiring an instant solution !

I'm with Swedish !

You have come up with a very good argument for just drinking what you want !

Get a couuple of those 200 Litre Olive barrels to ferment in next summer and just make a lot ! :twisted:

[Edit - in fact, I'll take a glass of Odin's Corflake (Whitedog tho') - with you ! - Cheers ! ]
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Beerbrewer wrote: Any suggestions as how I can stop myself with the rest of my bottles?
No.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Get really drunk on one bottle and hide the rest just before you black out. That should slow you down a bit or a lot, depending on how big and messy your property is. :sick:

Seriously though, you could look for a recipe intended to drink white and make that next. Also, I have also gotten into the habit of taking one jar of hearts from almost every batch I make, giving me something to enjoy right away *.

* I do like to let my white drinks sit a bit too, but not nearly as long as it takes to oak something.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Beerbrewer wrote:Any suggestions as how I can stop myself with the rest of my bottles?
If it's already off the wood and bottled, there won't be much 'aging' happening, so drink it.

Next season, use a large fermenter, like at least three still charges, making something that doesn't need much aging before you make something that does... and keep the fermenter busy.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Just keep making until the oldest bottle you are reaching for is at least a year old
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

If P < C where P = Production and C = Consumption then P+n until P > C.
Fairly simple math here...
:D
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

+1. There you go nerdybrewer
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

1)
Non-stop distillation. For a year I've always had three 6-gallon buckets bubbling. Only recently have I given it a rest,
but ramping up again.

2)
Gin. Lots of immediate gratification from Odin's gin kept me away from the barrels and oak jars.
I made about 10-gallons of gin and it helped me to wait. Now I have a mature Cornflake Whiskey to help keep me
from the others.

3)
Make beer and drink it. That complementary hobby has kept me from double-dipping, too.
Last edited by fizzix on Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Beerbrewer wrote:
Any suggestions as how I can stop myself with the rest of my bottles?
AA
:cry:

JBC
JBC
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

nerdybrewer wrote:If P < C where P = Production and C = Consumption then P+n until P > C.
You must be one of the younger ones; that < mathematical symbol wasn't taught in school when I was there!

Geoff
The Baker
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

NZChris wrote:If it's already off the wood and bottled, there won't be much 'aging' happening...
My experience has been that my whiskey will change quite a bit in the bottle, off oak, over time.
I've had stuff that tasted rough and grainy when I bottled it and it became some of the best whiskey I've made after being bottled for quite a while.

It may be that commercial hooch that has already set in a barrel for 5 years might not change much after being filtered and bottled, but my homemade whiskey definitely changes over time when I bottle at the one year mark or less.

As for drinking up your stash, I agree that larger batches will solve that problem.
It will be worth your while to set some aside, even if it's just a small jar.
You owe it to yourself to see what a great product you made, and that will take time!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Well I gotta tell y'all I do love my wife and now n then she offers some advice ta soothe my whining. She advised "jesus, if ya like it drink it. Make some more. It costs $12." Dear woman just wants me ta be happy, ya know. :ebiggrin:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:I've had stuff that tasted rough and grainy when I bottled it....
I don't recall ever bottling anything that still fits that description. I'll have a nosey of my young stuff and try to find something suitable.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A bigger boiler run more often helps get plenty of well aged stock.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Thanks for all the suggestions :D I don't really have the room for a massive FV but I will invest in another one and try to keep ahead like that, most of my gin went into the wedding fund so I only have one bottle left which I want to keep until next year. I'm going to try and ramp up vodka production and maybe look at getting a bigger setup.

Interestingly enough, I didn't drink as much of it as I thought, I would have usually wiped out most of a commercial bottle but I still have a good amount left. I've started making wine and cider to help with the shortfall as well.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

The Baker wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:If P < C where P = Production and C = Consumption then P+n until P > C.
You must be one of the younger ones; that < mathematical symbol wasn't taught in school when I was there!

Geoff
You must be truly ancient Geoff!

"The widely adopted form of two equal-length strokes connecting in an acute angle at the right, >, (and at the left, <,) has been found in documents dated as far back as the 1560s"
"Less/Greater Than or Equal To. The symbols for less/greater than or equal to (< and >) with one line of an equal sign below them, were first used in 1734 by French mathematician, Pierre Bouguer."

I'm nearly 60 and they were part of math when/where I went to school.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
NZChris wrote:If it's already off the wood and bottled, there won't be much 'aging' happening...
My experience has been that my whiskey will change quite a bit in the bottle, off oak, over time.

... my homemade whiskey definitely changes over time when I bottle at the one year mark or less.
I've had a similar experience. My AG bourbon picked up a ton of oak influence in just several months, and worried that I had over-oaked it, removed and bottled up a fifth with a little head space and no oak just as insurance. The four handles with different levels of char in them are progressing gradually, but the fifth bottle has 'aged' noticeably, with a layer of flavors and complexity that presumably are present because they are not being overpowered by the oak.

From this article, it appears aging off of wood is a common practice for some spirits. Its nice to know that this resting process applies to whiskey, and that oxidation plays a part. I believe that aging and flavor from oak infusion are independent to a certain degree and until I learn how my oak behaves, embrace off- oak resting as another level of control. It will be interesting to see what resting whiskey in stainless prior to oaking, and in glass (or stainless) afterwards does for the final product.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I make big batches and try to get the next batch going well before the last batch is depleted. I give a bottle of each batch to my wife to hide away.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Swedish Pride wrote:drink it all now.
get start making big batches in april, make one to be drank white and one to be oaked.
distilling more than you drink can be a challenge, you just have to distill more or drink less:)
i like the way you think. myself, my lady, my best friend and my roommate are all whiskey drinking new orleans bartenders(we drink ALOT down here) so its going to be a challenge but i think it will help with the fact i cant ever age anything for a month much less a year. :/ most of it gets consumed white or quick aged.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

I feel your pain and offer a solution: make more.
Last winter, I let myself run out of likker and swore I'd never do that again. Presently, I have about 15 gallons ready to drink and I have more mash ready to run.
Just brought home a 55gal drum heater and 100# of sugar. In the next week I'll set off two more 55gal drums of mash.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

nerdybrewer wrote:
The Baker wrote:

Geoff
You must be truly ancient Geoff! Only seventy-seven.

"The widely adopted form of two equal-length strokes connecting in an acute angle at the right, >, (and at the left, <,) has been found in documents dated as far back as the 1560s"
"Less/Greater Than or Equal To. The symbols for less/greater than or equal to (< and >) with one line of an equal sign below them, were first used in 1734 by French mathematician, Pierre Bouguer."

Well I left at the start of third year high school (ninth year of education), age fourteen and I'm afraid that I didn't do any advanced math. So just plus, minus, multiply and divide symbols.
We had just been introduced to algebra and geometry as separate subjects.
Though I later did a lot of professional study in insurance (three separate associateship qualifications) and later still a Bachelor of Arts.
Qualified DipAII, AAII (Life, Accident, Fire), B.A.

Most people left school at fourteen then and went to work (almost any work) to support the family.

Geoff
The Baker
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

The Baker wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:
The Baker wrote:

Geoff
You must be truly ancient Geoff! Only seventy-seven.

Well I left at the start of third year high school (ninth year of education), age fourteen and I'm afraid that I didn't do any advanced math. So just plus, minus, multiply and divide symbols.
We had just been introduced to algebra and geometry as separate subjects.
Though I later did a lot of professional study in insurance (three separate associateship qualifications) and later still a Bachelor of Arts.
Qualified DipAII, AAII (Life, Accident, Fire), B.A.

Most people left school at fourteen then and went to work (almost any work) to support the family.

Geoff
You have my respect, I went the route of learning to write software (self taught) so the use of all sorts of math symbols became useful.
I've been working in the world of databases since around 1996 so that's also lots of math and logic.
Lots of talented people here, it's a great place to hang out and read just to keep the brain active.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Also a tradesman baker, we had a bakery for thirty years and our son for ten.

Geoff
The Baker
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

The Baker wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Geoff
No, it was too hard to chisel into stone! :D
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How do you stop yourself from drinking your stash too early?

Post by tombombadil »

Make it faster than you can drink it.
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Personally my all grains/oaked spirits get aged, some barrels others oak sticks from my own trees. If i need something fast for whatever reason I go to my book of sugar heads (or corn flakes, brown bread, Cheerios, etc) and my goto white is cinnamon raisin bagel, goes well straight or in coffee. Or you could, you know, cut back a little maybe...
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Mostly it's willpower. And I have other bevies to fill in. New to distilling, but decades of beer and close to 10 of winemaking. Also, supplement with store bought.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm getting better at reprocessing feints into usable products using techniques that have come up on this forum, so a lot of what I drink to keep my hands off my good aging stash is made out of my rubbish, but I do like my young, narrow cut, white dog too.

My stocks of white dog UJSSM and neutral for gin are getting depleted, so I just bought enough sugar and grain to make enough of both to last a couple of years. Big ferments, long hours in the shed, get the hard work done then experiment with the feints in my leisure time.