Homemade aged egg nog

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Homemade aged egg nog

Post by distiller_dresden »

So I was thinking of this weekend picking up ingredients for making an aged egg nog, using Alton Brown's recipe, as follows:

Ingredients
12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
1 pound sugar
1 pint half-n-half
1 pint whole milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 cup Jamaican rum
1 cup cognac
1 cup bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Instructions
-Separate the eggs and store the whites for another purpose.
-Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid "ribbon."
-Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.
-Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there's nothing that says you couldn't age it a year, but I've just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)
-Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top.
Anybody ever tried something like this, or made and then 'aged' egg nog?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Homemade aged egg nog

Post by fizzix »

Hey dresden~
PLEASE post how this goes if you try it.
Loves me some eggnog of all brands and styles, but it freaks me out to make it myself just yet.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I def will; I'm waiting for next weekend because a friend of mine in NC, whose family has been there going back 4 generations, is trying to track down his old family recipe. If he can't find it by next weekend I'll be making this recipe, but I'm hoping he finds it to see how it may differ or if I can meld/blend the two recipes for something grand. Either way I'll be aging it in a big gallon glass jug in the back of the fridge until Xmas time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

I made it twice now. Aged a year each time. Had batch one and it was a great hit. A little too sweet so I cut back on the sugar for this year's batch. Will be getting into that in about 4 months (make it for my homebrew club's post holiday party in Feb)
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I did an egg nog on a sous vide recipe last year. People seemed to like it, but this aged thing, I wasn't aware that people aged egg nog like tha. I would be interested in learning more about your recipe Ydoih8u. And how your adventure turns out Dresden.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Wow this sounds great!!!
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

DetroitDIY wrote:I did an egg nog on a sous vide recipe last year. People seemed to like it, but this aged thing, I wasn't aware that people aged egg nog like tha. I would be interested in learning more about your recipe Ydoih8u. And how your adventure turns out Dresden.
It started as the recipe above (Alton Brown.) I found that to be a bit sweet so I cut the sugar down to 3/4 of a cup and supped the bourbon a little to compensate for volume.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=72387

Posted here a few weeks ago, as I did the same

It’s been aging since. I plan leaving it until end of December before trying
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Mixed up my nog yesterday and it's aging in a gallon Anchor Hocking jar in back of fridge. Followed recipe exactly, the only 'variance' was in the liquors used, for which I selected:
8 oz bourbon (Maker's Mark)
8 oz cognac (D'Usse V.S.O.P - this was the best I could afford at 375ml and it's what I used to soak/age dominoes for placing in my rum agings, it's a very good cognac!)
2 oz Rumbar Gold Jamaican rum (from Worthy Park), 2 oz my own aged sipping rum, 2 oz Appleton Reserve, 2 oz Appleton Signature

The flavor is WONDERFUL and awesome right after I finished mixing it up; would HIGHLY recommend it. I also had gotten whole nutmeg and ground it fresh for the tsp. I can't wait to see how this ages, and I'll be trying it around Thanksgiving and reporting, then finally drinking/getting it out and serving it at Christmas, and again reporting!
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

For us americana-impaired: what is half-and-half?
Always impatient. But learning.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

rubelstrudel wrote:For us americana-impaired: what is half-and-half?
It's a dairy product that is half whole milk, half heavy cream in one container.
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Thanks. I'll have to try this out with my own quite nutmeg-y rum. Never tasted eggnog before so my hands are free.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Really can't recommend this 'nog highly enough; I am STILL thinking about it a few times every hour, that I'd like another taste/get myself a glass. I keep having to exercise willpower knowing that it will be infinitely better if I just forget about it and let it age.

It was a bit like melted ice cream, but not so thick.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

distiller_dresden wrote:Really can't recommend this 'nog highly enough; I am STILL thinking about it a few times every hour, that I'd like another taste/get myself a glass. I keep having to exercise willpower knowing that it will be infinitely better if I just forget about it and let it age.

It was a bit like melted ice cream, but not so thick.

Good to know. Mine still aging

How old was yours before you started tasting?
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Oh I just made mine yesterday - Saturday 11.3, as a celebration when we got back from early voting when I made it I had one glass, about 6oz, the rest is aging until Christmas - though I'll try at Thanksgiving and give a 3 week aged report, then Christmas it will have been about 8 weeks, I'll report then too once I crack it open and share with my fam.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I'm no cook, so am always amazed at simple culinary tools.
"How the f*ck do you separate the egg yolk?" I thought.
Voilà!
egg separator.JPG
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I was a chef in my previous life. The easiest way? Crack the egg into your (clean) hand. Not the palm, your four fingers closed together slightly bent like a cup. Then just let the whites slide through your fingers into a bowl as you pass the yolk back and forth between your hands in this way.

When working the line, least amount of dishes wins.

How many read this and shaped your hand to get a visualization, Lol?
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
distiller_dresden
Trainee

OOO cooking tips, I'm behind this!

I like to crack the eggs carefully, then take one half, top or bottom, of the shell and tip the yolk into the other half, back and forth, and you can carefully tip back and forth isolating the yolk, this method for me has the benefit of those 'hangers' the clingy bits of white that are attached to the yolk are easier to get rid of by rubbing a finger against the edge of the shell, cutting it off.

Although that separator looks like absolutely the easiest. You may also be able to buy 'separated' egg yolk, like how you can get already mixed eggs in a carton-- there may be a yolk product like that?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:...The easiest way? Crack the egg into your (clean) hand. How many read this and shaped your hand to get a visualization, Lol?
Get out of my head, SoCD.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

I was looking for a pic online... got this!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thekit ... chn-197431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Screenshot_20181105-111423_Gallery.jpg
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

The main reason it's not advised to do the egg shell halves back and fourth anymore is the worry of salmonella. If the egg was going to be cooked probably no worries... but it's going to be aged so I'd separate it using clean hands or an egg separator. The alcohol may kill the salmonella though... So I guess it may not matter at all in the end lol.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

ydoih8u wrote:The main reason it's not advised to do the egg shell halves back and fourth anymore is the worry of salmonella. If the egg was going to be cooked probably no worries... but it's going to be aged so I'd separate it using clean hands or an egg separator. The alcohol may kill the salmonella though... So I guess it may not matter at all in the end lol.
Yeah, that's true - but alcohol will kill it, it's the same reason you can use so much heavy cream/dairy in general and age it literally as long as you want - a year if you can go that long without drinking the nog. I mean, as long as it's refridgerated - I wouldn't (unfortunately) age it in a wooden barrel, as awesome as that DOES sound.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

fizzix wrote:
rubelstrudel wrote:For us americana-impaired: what is half-and-half?
It's a dairy product that is half whole milk, half heavy cream in one container.
It may depend on what you have available in Norway. In my experience, you can get much richer dairy products in Europe than in the grocery stores in the States. It's essentially 1/6 milkfat and 5/6 milk. Whiping cream is roughly 1/3 mikfat and 2/3 milk. At least in the States. Thus, when we use half milk and half whipping cream, we get something in near to what we call half and half (there is actually a bit if a range of the allowable milkfat that is allowable to be called whipping cream and half and half).

A quick Google search suggest that you can use 7/8 C milk and 1/2 T melted butter to approximate 1/2 & 1/2 if you can't find it.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

distiller_dresden wrote:I like to crack the eggs carefully, then take one half, top or bottom, of the shell and tip the yolk into the other half, back and forth, and you can carefully tip back and forth isolating the yolk.
+1 Dresden. Works like a charm, no extra tools, and no messy (or at least less messy) hands.
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

DetroitDIY wrote:It may depend on what you have available in Norway. In my experience, you can get much richer dairy products in Europe than in the grocery stores in the States. It's essentially 1/6 milkfat and 5/6 milk. Whiping cream is roughly 1/3 mikfat and 2/3 milk. At least in the States.
Hmmm. I've got pure cream and all variations of milk. I might replace the half-n-half with condensed milk - great for adding body.
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

That's my take on egg nog for Christmas.
Egg nog
Egg nog
This one made with pure Captn Skoppum Golden Rum.
And loads of fresh cream. And sugar. The calorie content of that jar could keep a small country going for Weeks.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

"Captain Skoppum Golden Rum"
Is this your own or a friend's rum? I searched for it and got nothing at all but results were populated by said CM's rum. Searching just CS got me results related to Norway.

Where we differed in recipes based on your comments and adjustments, I think both our nogs have an amazing calorie content. Based on my calculations for my recipe list, and generic calorie information for rum, cognac, and bourbon, my near gallon of egg nog has about 5300 calories per batch.

I didn't measure the ounces, but I'm assuming they are close to 80 or just over, liquid alone is 72. Let's go with 80oz per batch via that recipe in the first post. As a typical serving of egg nog is not an 8oz glass/cup, I'd say maybe 6oz.

So here is nutrition information for the nog: (sometime late this evening as I am bored and watching/awaiting midterm results nationwide I will recalculate all this for actual sugar/fat/carb calories just to panic everyone based on the fat content lol)
Ingredients (5300 calories per batch)
12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
1 pound sugar
1 pint half-n-half
1 pint whole milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 cup Jamaican rum
1 cup cognac
1 cup bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Serving size 6oz, calories per serving: 400 (rounded up from 397.5)
EGAD
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Captn Skoppum, that's me. I had to use my own product if it was to be any point to the exercise. It's a calorie bomb on the level of almost pure molten candy.

I used the following:
12 egg yolks (250g -> 2.5*320 kCal = 700 )
5dl cream (500g -> 5*360 kcal = 1800 )
4dl milk (400g -> 4*63 kcal = 254 )
8dl rum 45% (800g -> 8*350 kcal = 2800)
500g sugar (500g -> 5*400kcal = 2000)

Thats about 7500 kCal for my 2-liter batch.

The wife should be able to sustain herself at 1500 kCal/day with only 4dl of this brew per day.
A 6oz serving (1.7dl) would be about 640 kCal from my batch. Hoy!
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

I opened my egg nog today to see how it was doing and found it had developed nicely this last month. Its like a thick custard now and really strong. A bit to strong to really enjoy straight.

But after mixing one to one with fresh milk suddenly I had a velvety, smooth cream liqueur with just the right amount of nutmeg.

Still a calory bomb of epic proportions though.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

I agree. This is an absolutely wonderful drink. We'r gave been drinking one jar since Thanksgiving. The second probably won't make it through the week. Wonderful drink. :thumbup: