What do folks do most with neutral?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Benredbeard
Novice

What do folks do most with neutral?

Post by Benredbeard »

Just curious, for those producing neutral what's your biggest use for it? Straight, flavored (essences or diy), making commercial clones?
Happy bees, home brews, and two green thumbs.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What do folks do most with neutral?

Post by Expat »

Gin and liquors.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by OtisT »

Mostly liquors and cordials like lemonchello, panty droppers, etc. Soon to be gin too. A good neutral is also useful if you need to “thin” another spirit. I infrequently make big batches without a specific use in mind, then use it up over time as I see recipies I’m interested in.

I don’t drink it straight. That is what vodka is for.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Benredbeard
Novice

Post by Benredbeard »

Panty dropper: familiar with it in a beer idiom: fruity, sweet "with umbrella" sort of confection/"chick drink"?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Look up Strawberry Panty Dropper for recipes.

I never drink my neutral without it going through another process, mostly for gin.
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

Drink It !!!
Seriously, I like to water down a shot of hearts 50/50 and put it on ice, have a sip to try it, then top off with some cranberry or orange juice, and begin cleaning up.
Sort of a victory celebration for another sucessfull run.

After cuts are made, and all the final cut is tempered down to 40% I reach on the shelf, pull out a pint and mix it with juice or gatorade, makes a fine mixer. Just picked up a can of frozen margarita concentrate can't wait to try it in that !
Benredbeard
Novice

Post by Benredbeard »

Ah, now I recognize "panty" preparations. Sweetened berries steeped in Aquavit my Swedish side of the family knows as "bog fog".
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

I just dilute to 40 Abv and drink with weak cordial , I will try infusions/rectifying and make absinthe eventually but I have only been able to make "good" neutral since the start of this year .

so i'm still enjoying that and trying to improve my technique , i'm not getting azeo yet on my newest modular still so i'm re making CSST coils , also trying different recipes to see which one friends and I like best .
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I make Vodka, Gin, Aqua Vitae, Limoncello, Curacao, Moonshine Cherries, Panty Droppers, Campari, Amaretto & other infusions.
These days, sanitizer as well.

You don't have to (while helpful) reach azeo at home to make a good neutral. Cuts, rule the day. Do you think tails at azeo is the same as hearts at azeo? As an example get a small bottle of Everclear 190 and taste it diluted down to 80 proof. It's awful and would not make anything like a vodka you would want to drink in a martini. That's an example of high proof spirit without good cut management and what a spirit can taste like with the heads and tails in it. It's not what any of us here would consider a neutral even though it's 95%.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I make a lot of Neutral and I have no shame in saying most of it gets flavoured with Still spirits Gin essence .

Me and Mrs Yummy drink a metric fuckton of Gin and while I don’t mind all the “real” stuff made with juniper and coriander etc , In reality , the HBS Essence cuts the mustard when it comes to Gin and keeps us happy .. Not just us . Family members love my Gin too . :oops: :oops: :oops:

Seriously . I offered them some reputable fancy arse Gin that even changes colour and all that shit but they kept coming back to my Neutral flavoured with those little bottles . :ewink:mmmm

Now some does get turned into Orange Liqueer
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:06 am I make a lot of Neutral and I have no shame in saying most of it gets flavoured with Still spirits Gin essence .
Which Gin essence do you prefer? Any other essence you like besides the Gin?
Have you tried your hand at making your own gin yet from botanicals?
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

All the above, when making liqueurs and cordials I like a book entitled Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits.
Samyguy
Bootlegger

Post by Samyguy »

Mountain Dew and Shine Hmmm
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Looks pretty cool Bushman. Google Books let's you read the first 30 pages as a preview.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Gin and Absinthe.