Fell in love with 1 Barrel rum in Belize

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Fell in love with 1 Barrel rum in Belize

Post by raketemensch »

My wife and I just got back from our 20th anniversary/25 years together trip to Belize — 10 days with no kids and pure freedom.

There were two local rums that we loved — one was a coconut rum that makesMalibu seem like dishwater. It became the sweetener in my coffee, and was incredible with whatever fruit juice you threw at it.

But the 1 Barrel was my favorite. It’s cheap, because it’s not imported, so everyone carries it, so I had a glass with 2 cubes everywhere we went, for like $1.59.

Great vanilla notes, and almost like a caramel rock candy flavor up front. No big burn, just pure deliciousness.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fell in love with 1 Barrel rum in Belize

Post by hpby98 »

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/171 ... belize-rum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Guessing it’s this?
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Yup, that's the stuff. I'm gonna order a few bottles tomorrow, I miss it already.

I hadn't brought any of my own rum down, but I brought my oldest oaked UJ (3 years) down with us, and sat at a bar and shared it with the bartenders one night. I'll have to do a comparison with my own once I get a couple of bottles in. I also have ~25 gallons of mollasses and brown sugar ready to run in the basement, hopefully tomorrow or Monday.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Nice. I did 2 butter rum runs, just waiting to rerun them once my smaller keg is done. Too little to run in my big keg setup after they were stripped. New keg will be a thumper too.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Sweet! I'm really looking forward to finally building a thumper, although I've had good luck with single-run rums through the flute.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

raketemensch wrote:Sweet! I'm really looking forward to finally building a thumper, although I've had good luck with single-run rums through the flute.
I haven’t tried thru my Nixon-stone as I didn’t wanna strip everything out!

Sooon I’ll get it done.