Mixing a gin gimlet

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Mixing a gin gimlet

Post by Bushman »

If you like gin gimlets and don’t want to make up the drink in glasses all the time I have a solution.
Take a bottle of gin (.750 ml) and remove 6 oz.
Add 6 oz of Roses lime juice
Seal and shake
Store in freezer

When you are ready for a drink simply pour a glass from the bottle, no continued mixing.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mixing a gin gimlet

Post by 8Ball »

Can’t say that I’ve ever had a gin gimlet, but I’ll never forget looking into a bar in 1977 on St. Thomas, USVI, and seeing the sunlight sparkling through a tall glass of gin and tonic! I went right in and said I’ll have one of whatever that is!

8B
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

The Gimlet is one drink I remember making for myself in the 70's. I kept making them until either the lime syrup or the pickled onions ran out.

I was at a bar the other day when the bartender mentioned a “Gibson” to my friend at the next barstool. I once knew what a Gibson was, and what a “Dirty Martini” was as well, but had to be reminded. Curriously Gimlets and Gibsons are two of the rare coctails that call for pickled coctail onions.

Those onions go well with another coctail I've enjoyed this summer, but I'm not sure how new or origional it is. To make it you pour your raw homemade “torpedo juice” neutral over a couple of ice cubes, add a few drops of Angostura bitters and top the glass up with Tonic Water. If this concoction doesn't already have a name – perhaps it could be called the “Déjà vu” (if the name is not taken).

Looking the phrase Déjà vu up to assertain its correct spelling, I discovered that it now has two seperate accepted intrepretations. (1) a sensation that an event or experience currently being experienced has already been experienced in the past or – (2) a chronic disorder of the nervous system associated with temporal lobe epilepsy!
Omnia mea mecum porto
serafina
Novice

Post by serafina »

Gimlets shouldn't have an onion!

Bushman, you're right to use lime cordial instead of lime juice and simple syrup, as that's how the gimlet was originally made. However, you can make a vastly superior lime cordial at home. Just peel some fresh limes, then juice them, and add the same volume sugar as your volume of juice (excluding the peels). Throw in a cinnamon stick to round it out. Let it sit until you're happy, then strain. And you can stabilize it with some spirit, or just pre-bottle the whole drink and refrigerate. Proper proportion is 1.5 oz cordial to 2 oz gin.

If you add aromatic bitters (4 dashes or so) it becomes a very pretty pink color and it's called a Bennet. Also makes a good collins.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks it sounds interesting, I will give it a try!