Sippin Proof Preferences

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

SirShine
Novice

Sippin Proof Preferences

Post by SirShine »

Had a search for a thread like this and did not find anything, so here I am.

What is your preferred sippin proof? Does it vary depending on what you are sippin?

I prefer 100 proof most all times, the sweeter it is the stronger I like it.
cayars
Distiller

Re: Sippin Proof Preferences

Post by cayars »

For whiskey I generally like 100 proof as well, but not always (depends on the whiskey). The only other spirits I generally sip would be vodka or gin as a martini and usually like them around 80%. I think everything else I make is used in cocktails.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

for my gumballhead/sugarshines i dont mind the 62.5% cask strength i havent sampled from my all grains in awhile my goal with them is AT LEAST4 years or more on wood
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

46 ABV on good, home made product. Silky smooth and you can sip all nite. 40 ABV on that crap from the store. Way heady and obnoxious.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Cask strength is all the rage for commercial products, but I like most proofed to 35-40%Abv. I find it blooms the flavors and removes the alcohol burn. But just water, never ice. Cold suppresses flavor.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Much over 80 proof and most likkers mess with my taste buds and mask the flavors I expect, including fancy shop bought likkers, popular among my friends for the high ABVs printed on their bottles.

The only drink I make that I prefer to sip at over 80 proof is one that has chicken in the still head :D viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71406 Maybe the chicken improves the mouth feel??
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Count me in for 80-ish proof, too.
That boundary seems to be a proper balance of taste and "burn."
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

My two year old bourbon is proofed at 86-88 and is at its best when sipped neat. I agree also that ice suppresses flavor.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I proof most of my spirits from 40%-42% (45% for some) and I like to add a dash of water, so I’m guessing I sip mine around 36%-38%.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I tried my homemade whiskey at 100 and 80 proof. I found the best flavors at 90 proof. Same for the gin.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

101 proof Or thereabouts. Maybe 45%.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

There's tasting and drinking. Pretty much right at 80 proof neat, mostly if I'm 'evaluating'. 100 proof if I'm just drinking it because I'll add ice and let it 'bloom'. I probably like a whiskey best when it hits 90 proof. I agree ice will mute the flavors some, water'd be better but I find a cold drink more enjoyable. Compromise is key.

Off topic but when I'm making cuts I try to taste right around 70-80 proof, room temp and keep a spittoon and a water cup or else my cuts will get loose real quick.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I know I already answered but want to comment further.

For whiskey it will range from 80 to 100 depending. Most cask strength is too strong. It's not that I care about the proof but about the taste. Some whiskeys just taste "strong" at higher proof but taste better neat at lower proof and vice versa. Some whiskey improves with a splash of water, others don't but just taste watered down.

When you add a splash of water to whiskey you cause a chemical reaction that brings out new flavors or brings them to the front. This doesn't last a long time which is why I prefer a small pour (can't always get more) when adding a splash of water.

When I'm doing cuts or blending I'll make up samples of 80 proof in a bunch of shotglass size containers the day before I'll sample them for the blend to give them a chance to rest and get past this "chemical reaction" so I don't get fooled. I find this helps me with cuts.

Same when I'm deciding bottling proof after aging. I'll make up a series of small samples from 80 proof to maybe 110 proof in increments of 5 and give those a week rest before I sample them. Then I can both test them at proof and also with a splash of water to see what I like. I may end up bottling at only one proof or sometimes two different proofs.

One of my favorite Bourbons regardless of price (reasonable) is Wild Turkey 101. Shitty name, good bourbon. :) It's the exact same bourbon as found in the 81 proof spirit. You can take the 101 and water it down using your proof and tralle hydrometer to 81 and let it rest and it tastes exactly like the 81 proof out of the bottle. For me it's cheaper to purchase the 101 than 81 based on pure alcohol so... But the 101 just tastes better to me then the 81 which looses flavor and now tastes watered down or like many other bourbons (lost some of it's character) but still fine for cocktails.

So it depends, even for stuff I make myself. But generally I prefer it closer to 100 then 80 for most whiskeys.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

TMI Carlo. Just blather....bla, bla, bla. :lol:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K