Yes it is legal

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hackers
Bootlegger

Re: Yes it is legal

Post by Hackers »

Yes it is legal to distill alcohol in New Zealand - as long as it is for personal consumption. That includes beer, wine, spirits etc.

You are not allowed to sell, trade or swap said alcohol.

As long as you keep to these rules there is no excise tax, no duty to pay, no registrations, no forms to complete and you can make whatever "concoctions" you want.

Anybody want to emigrate? :D
Never do tomorrow what you can do today because if you like what you do today you can do it AGAIN tomorrow!
Hackers
Bootlegger

Post by Hackers »

Further to my earlier post, New Zealand is not alone, in Austria, Italy, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, and the Ukraine it is also perfectly legal to home distil for personal use, in Australia it is legal as long as your maximum batch size is 5L but elsewhere like the USA for example, it is not

As far as I'm aware we haven't all gone blind or stark raving mad lol :twisted:
Never do tomorrow what you can do today because if you like what you do today you can do it AGAIN tomorrow!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Hackers wrote:As far as I'm aware we haven't all gone blind or stark raving mad lol :twisted:
Can we vote on that...??? :twisted: :lolno:
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Hackers, It is not, NOT, NOT legal to distill spirits in Australia. You may not have gone stark raving mad but you do talk bullshit or in your case sheepshit.

Where's the evidence sweetheart? Show us how clever you lot are and point us in the direction where we can legally distil. If you can, I will apologise. Maybe you can get kiwistiller to help you in your quest.

Gawd, bloody clever New Zealanders.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
dougyethanol
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dougyethanol »

+1 blankidog. hackers, you can distill essential oils etc if your boiler is under 5 litres. why you cant distill essential oils in 5litres + has got me stumped.
in aus you can do whatever you want(especially queensland) as long as you dust the right palms, make sure the goverment gets its cut. it is legal if you aquire a licence and pay $70 a litre of ethanol produced. whos the greedy one, hence my previous statement.
i luv makin booz.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Still waiting for the proof that distilling spirits is legal in Australia, hackers.

Did it ever occur to you that some poor bastard may read your misinformation aka sheepshit and face a hefty fine or worse, the slammer?? May I suggest that you either stick to the laws as appropriate to New Zealand and perhaps the others you mention and do not post about crap that you know nothing about.

I say again, to any new distillers in Australia that hacker is wrong, WRONG, WRONG. It is illegal to hobby/craft distill alcohol in Australia in ANY quantity.

STAY SAFE
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
hackware
Swill Maker

Post by hackware »

could u say that again...? :ewink:

maybe a bit louder...? :lol:

good point, i live in a dry county, some peeps just don't git it... :clap: :clap: :clap:
tell me how hard it is to do... tell me how expensive it will be... just don't tell me what i can not do...

lead, follow, or get out of the way... ankle biters will be kicked...

•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¤ª"˜¨¯¯¨˜"william..."˜¨¯¯¨˜"ª¤(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

In Australia you can OWN a still of 5 litres (maybe it says 'less than five litres') capacity.

But you must not use it to produce alcohol.
The Baker
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Hackers wrote:Further to my earlier post, New Zealand is not alone, in Austria, Italy,
Time for glasses folks :)

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Husker wrote:
Hackers wrote:Further to my earlier post, New Zealand is not alone, in Austria, Italy,

H.
Offtopic:
I know what you mean H. Started wearing them for reading about a year ago, opened up a whole new world of literature to me. :crazy:

Sorry guy's, now back on topic... :ewink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
dougyethanol
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dougyethanol »

Husker wrote:

H.
Husker time for you to read the whole post.

Further to my earlier post, New Zealand is not alone, in Austria, Italy, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, and the Ukraine it is also perfectly legal to home distil for personal use, in AUSTRALIA it is legal as long as your maximum batch size is 5L but elsewhere like the USA for example, it is not.

edit - by the way incase you havnt read previous the last sentence is false, i cannot comment on the other countries.
Last edited by dougyethanol on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
i luv makin booz.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

dougyethanol wrote:
Husker wrote:

H.
Husker time for you to read the whole post.

Further to my earlier post, New Zealand is not alone, in Austria, Italy, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, and the Ukraine it is also perfectly legal to home distil for personal use, in AUSTRALIA it is legal as long as your maximum batch size is 5L but elsewhere like the USA for example, it is not
Then I certainly stand corrected myself. I agree with the others complaining about that comment then. All I have heard, and read about AU laws (other than this post from Hackers), is that it is OK to have a 5L or less size still in AU, but as soon as you run any alcohol through it, you are performing a criminal act.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Not complaining at all but someone might get into trouble if there is any possibility of them being misled.
The Baker
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

The Baker wrote:Not complaining at all but someone might get into trouble if there is any possibility of them being misled.
This one of the reasons (but not the only) why the 'powers to be' on this board, get so vocal about BAD advise. If there is any trouble, it will come down on the leadership.

unsafe practices, plastics, bad legal advise, etc, etc. That type of information can simply not be left unanswered.

H.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Spot on Husker. Let's hope that this thread is a lesson to those who complain about the forum admin being so 'picky' about what is posted.

Stay Safe Guys

Cumudgeon and loving it.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I've PM'd hackers to ask if s/he intends to admit to his/her disinformative post and s/he has chosen to ignore the it so I've locked the thread to ensure that it doesn't get cluttered with more posts and some poor Aussie bugger misses the truth of the situation.
Last edited by blanikdog on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo fixed

Cumudgeon and loving it.