Going Legal!

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hstuurman
Swill Maker

Going Legal!

Post by hstuurman »

Yes, yesterday I've had my last talk with the department licenses of the community, and I've got permission to start a micro distillery. Now I've got to get me the tax-licenses (1 to build a stil, 1 to own a stil and 1 to make spirit and pay tax).

To me this is a good time to start, I've got my own company which can be combined with a distillery, and I live on an island which is satisfied 10 out off 12 months with toerists who love to buy local products.
Henk

Ambachtelijk Destileerderij Nes (Artisan Distillery Nes)
To conquer death, you only have to die
https://www.facebook.com/DestilleerderijNes?sk=wall
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Going Legal!

Post by LWTCS »

Good luck Henk.

If I may ask,,what is your "other" business?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Hey Henk, haven't spoke to you for a while... Seems your doing OK...

Going Legal eh.? The laws are different here in the UK... I need to be producing 10 hectolitres (1000L) of wash a day to even be considered for a license.
In the meantime I'll just stay the way I'am... Under the radar.. Dont want to rock any boats...

Are you going to build a bigger still to meet any potential demand.. :?:

Good luck on your way forward friend and keep us posted on your progress... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

LWTCS wrote:Good luck Henk.

If I may ask,,what is your "other" business?
He LWTCS,

I'm a civil engineer, drawing, writing tenders and advice for civil structures like bridges, locks and recently a subway station. I work almost everyday behind my PC, and can work while I'm running a still :ebiggrin:
Samohon wrote:Hey Henk, haven't spoke to you for a while... Seems your doing OK...

Going Legal eh.? The laws are different here in the UK... I need to be producing 10 hectolitres (1000L) of wash a day to even be considered for a license.
In the meantime I'll just stay the way I'am... Under the radar.. Dont want to rock any boats...

Are you going to build a bigger still to meet any potential demand.. :?:

Good luck on your way forward friend and keep us posted on your progress... :thumbup:
Have been bussy with the new company, the old house and new recipe's.
I'm very happy with my dutch rum, which will be the only rum made in the Netherlands :thumbup:
Planning to make an oak rum, a spiced rum and a cranberry rum.
For the first time I stick to my 40 liter still, maybe build a second one. Have plans to build a VM, to get cleaner alcohol for the likker and jenever. I'm building a pot at this moment who will fit on my old still, bend a 22 mm copper in a swan-neck, and found a worm in my bagyard (really :!:, I thougt my lady had trown it away, it was the innerside of the boiler from which I made the still)
Strange how much the law is different in 2 Europan Union countries so nearby.
Henk

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I am going to be the nay sayer and suggest that you NOT merge this new venture in with your existing business... From a legal and financial standpoint you would be better off keeping the distillery part a totally separate entity... Then each business can sink or swim without jeopardizing the other... You wouldn't want the government to be meddling with your original business should they happen to have issues with the distillery now would you...??? Don't chance throwing out the baby with the bath water... Seek professional advice and that's just what any real financial advisor will tell you... I don't know about where you live but here in the US it is illegal to be co-mingling money and assets between businesses, especially where taxes are concerned...

Good luck...
hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

rad14701 wrote:I am going to be the nay sayer and suggest that you NOT merge this new venture in with your existing business... From a legal and financial standpoint you would be better off keeping the distillery part a totally separate entity... Then each business can sink or swim without jeopardizing the other... You wouldn't want the government to be meddling with your original business should they happen to have issues with the distillery now would you...??? Don't chance throwing out the baby with the bath water... Seek professional advice and that's just what any real financial advisor will tell you... I don't know about where you live but here in the US it is illegal to be co-mingling money and assets between businesses, especially where taxes are concerned...

Good luck...
Hi Rad

I live in the Netherlands, and here it's forbidden to have 2 onemen-businesses. Legaly I'm personaly responsible for my business, and that's why I cannot start another business, but have to share it with my old business
Henk

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hstuurman wrote:Hi Rad

I live in the Netherlands, and here it's forbidden to have 2 onemen-businesses. Legaly I'm personaly responsible for my business, and that's why I cannot start another business, but have to share it with my old business
Well, that makes sense then... Probably not a bad idea to keep a sole proprietor focused rather than juggling multiple sets of books and potentially favoring one business over another... Policies here in the US aren't always the best, as we see every day...
wildrover
Swill Maker

Post by wildrover »

Congrats! Keep us updated on how it goes.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Civil engineered licker! :thumbup: :lol: Congrats.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

rad14701 wrote:Probably not a bad idea to keep a sole proprietor focused rather than juggling multiple sets of books and potentially favoring one business over another
That's exactly the reason why it's done the way it is over here.
Henk

Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Congrats! And good luck with the new venture/business hstuurman!!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

hstuurman wrote:
rad14701 wrote:I am going to be the nay sayer and suggest that you NOT merge this new venture in with your existing business... From a legal and financial standpoint you would be better off keeping the distillery part a totally separate entity... Then each business can sink or swim without jeopardizing the other... You wouldn't want the government to be meddling with your original business should they happen to have issues with the distillery now would you...??? Don't chance throwing out the baby with the bath water... Seek professional advice and that's just what any real financial advisor will tell you... I don't know about where you live but here in the US it is illegal to be co-mingling money and assets between businesses, especially where taxes are concerned...

Good luck...
Hi Rad

Henk, Congrats! What a step and great that you succeeded so far! Now I also live in the netherlands and it is a long swim to what is it, Terschelling, Ameland? But I will come by if you have me.

I am a financial consultant and would suggest you follow in the foodsteps of Rad's advice. Yes in the NL you cannot have two "eenmanszaken"(one mans business with personal accountability), but you really should for 2 reasons. First of all to protect your current business. Yes, you are personally accountable, but I am sure you've got insurance coverage for the work you do. Business partners request it in your line of business. Now this insurance will not hold with your newly established distillery. And the distillery will need a very different insurance coverage because of consumer health related issues. Starting one within the other will definitely put your insured position in liability. The way out is either a BV (limited): one group LTD that holds 100% share in both working capital limiteds (construction/engeneering on one hand and distilling on the other). Costs are limited. The other way around this is to start up a VOF. That ís allowed next to a one mans personal business with full liability. If you have a partner, this person can be the second partner in this VOF (firm for 2 partners with full personall liability).

Now I am getting of topic. Sorry guys! Henk, if you need help, PM me. I know a great tax & enterprise lawyer that will help you out in no time! And - know what - I think I will PM you just to get to know how to work the city board in order to get licensed. Well, if you are willing to share your expertise with a guy half a sea and 125 miles away!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Pooyan
Novice

Post by Pooyan »

Big step Henk!

The trend for handmade local products is seriously growing, and your location (an island well known by tourists and nature lovers) is helping, no doubt.

Not far from where i live a guy has also started a micro-distillery a year ago, he makes a fruit-gin (fruitjenever) and he seems to be the second official producer of fruit-gin in Holland.

The idea crossed my mind more than a few times also, but the (presumely) tons of paperwork/licenses kept me from diving in to it seriously....

Like Odin i'am curious how you are going to handle the application for the necessary tax-licences i will send you a PM if that's ok.....

Good luck !!!!
hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

Pooyan wrote:Big step Henk!

The trend for handmade local products is seriously growing, and your location (an island well known by tourists and nature lovers) is helping, no doubt.

Not far from where i live a guy has also started a micro-distillery a year ago, he makes a fruit-gin (fruitjenever) and he seems to be the second official producer of fruit-gin in Holland.

The idea crossed my mind more than a few times also, but the (presumely) tons of paperwork/licenses kept me from diving in to it seriously....

Like Odin i'am curious how you are going to handle the application for the necessary tax-licences i will send you a PM if that's ok.....

Good luck !!!!
He Pooyan

You're always welcome to PM me, I've had some contact with Odin on our dutch forum, there is also the place where i keep most of the contacts. At this moment I'm on vacation, but when I'm back I'll start all the tax-licences.
Have been spoken with a small distillery on another island, the biggest problems are the community licenses they say, and that part is already aranged. The tax is mostly a formality. Get the required papers and be a company. A good administration and they can't refuse the license (so I'm told).
Made a telephone with the tax-office, and no one could answer my questions, i wasd told: "just fill in the forms, and we will contact you for a meeting in which we will arange the items".
Henk

hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

YES :thumbup:
Last saturday I recieved the first permit! Now I'm allowed to build and to posses to stills! The plans are drawn, lets start the build. 1 VM and 1 pot.
Henk

Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Congrats H, sounds like you got it headded your way.....good luck and let us know where to purchase your product :clap:
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

That's exciting news, Henk. Good luck moving forward.
I do all my own stunts
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

I do hope you will be sharing your build with us Henk...

Loved the Ponu Build... Good luck man.. :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

Samohon wrote:I do hope you will be sharing your build with us Henk...

Loved the Ponu Build... Good luck man.. :thumbup:
Ok, because your scottish :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
But it's a simple VM with a boka LM, nothing difficult :eugeek: The Ponu was a challenge
Henk

Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

OK, for that last remark you can sit down at my tasting table anytime you want to jump on the ferry... :thumbup:

I run a Bok above a VM (54mm x 1500mm), anything you wanna know, just holler... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

Samohon wrote:OK, for that last remark you can sit down at my tasting table anytime you want to jump on the ferry... :thumbup:

I run a Bok above a VM (54mm x 1500mm), anything you wanna know, just holler... :thumbup:
Funny, yesterday I had this song in my head (david's song) which was used in a TV-film about scottish rebels against the redcoats, and I thought... never visited Scotland, must be beautifull. Maybe we have to get that ferry and visit your highlands.
Henk

Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Now thats something to look forward to.. :thumbup: Open Invitation, whenever your ready.. :thumbup:
Now all we need is a few others and we'll have an HD tasting session Henk... Sounds good to me... :ewink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Henk, Sam,

Count me in!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Why wasn't this offer made in September when I was over in your neck of the woods? I had 10 different flights as it was I could of just added another in there! Sounds like it could be a great time :D
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Odin, I was wondering when you would gate crash.. :thumbup: The more the merrier... :thumbup:

Bushman, dig out those air-miles man, thats official.. :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦