I did something dumb

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Paracelsus
Novice

I did something dumb

Post by Paracelsus »

I used my real name to purchase a still. I have not run the still, and was intending to practice still operation on water pending starting a legal distilling business next year. I purchased it not realizing its quite illegal to possess a still with more than a 1 gallon capacity (I'm in the United States). This was some months ago, I have not been contacted by law enforcement, and I have not even assembled the thing yet. I would rather not have to flush the money down the toilet, but... its a small price to pay for keeping my nose clean.

Should I get rid of it ASAP? What should I do?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: I did something dumb

Post by Dnderhead »

they dont report,they just keep records of sales.
no one is going to come knocking.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I do not believe it is illegal to posses a still in the US. It is illegal, to put anything containing ethanol into the still and running it.

However, NOTE, I am not a lawyer, and am not giving any legal advise. If you are planning on going legit, you may want to look at getting a 'micro' fuel license. It is free (I think), and allows you to produce up to 10k proof gallons per year. Note, you are not supposed to drink any of those spirits, but it would allow you to work on mash recipes, to get practice with your still, etc. Just a thought.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Paracelsus
Novice

Post by Paracelsus »

Well, the fuel permit still requires a separate facility than one's home for production.

I honestly thought possessing a still was legal, so long as you didn't distill alcohol. I am trying to find the specific legal language where that 1-gallon provision is made.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

I read the statute at some point but am too tired to look it up. Bayou-Ruler has some info in this regards -- it may be in there.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/us ... _40_I.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Horse_Shoe
Swill Maker

Post by Horse_Shoe »

I'm pretty sure its ok to own the still. After all, one may need to distill water. The TTB get's involved when they find out that they are missing out on revenues. Don't be naive in thinking that they want to protect you or any consumers. Its all about the money. :thumbdown:
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

Once you get the Federal rules sorted out, check your state regulations. Some states still don't allow beer brewing or wine making, even though Jimmy Carter legalized it at the Federal level.

Another example is the bickering over marijuana. Feds say "No", states say "Maybe", local cities say "Show us the money".

Don't sell, don't tell and you should be OK. There are thousands of stills sold every year.

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
Paracelsus
Novice

Post by Paracelsus »

Well, I did finally get all the legal sorted through.

Its legal to possess a still not used or intended for use for the extraction or purification of alcohol under Federal Law in the United States.

However, my State's code is not quite as forgiving. Which is sad, because large swaths of it have problems with the purity of drinking water.

I have a friend who bought the same apparatus, produced alcohol with it, and did so in a less-than-secret fashion. He knows better than to try to sell it, and to date has had no problems. Who knows what that really means, though.

I'm still not entirely sure what to do. I may write the seller and see if I can return it, but I have likely had it too long. My main concern is when the state liquor board does its investigation during my license application process, they may uncover this. Its unlikely, but concerning to me.
Last edited by Paracelsus on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Paracelsus wrote:My main concern is when the state liquor board does its investigation during my license application process, they may uncover this. Its unlikely, but concerning to me.
This is likely a very strong concern, and if you are looking at getting licensed at some time, you really should be very careful about having nothing in your prior history that can stop that process. This 'could'.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Paracelsus
Novice

Post by Paracelsus »

I've reached out to a member of this forum who, if he's willing to answer my questions, should be able shed some light on how concerned about that I should be.